Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!! - Page 2

Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!!

This is a discussion on Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Final Option The majority of departments in the US do not issue weapons to their officers. They are on their own to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Option View Post
    The majority of departments in the US do not issue weapons to their officers. They are on their own to purchase those weapons (sometimes from an approved dept. list, sometimes not). Prior to my department going to an issue weapon we could carry wht we wanted as long as it met certain caliber restictions and was approved by the firearms training coordinator. So it very well may have been his duty gun and according to what I read in the MI law he should have been allowed to purchase it. A dept letterhead is only required to purchase directly from Glock or one of their LE only distributors.
    Never heard that. Almost all the ones around here issue one. Straight out of the safe. Maybe its cause the pay is so crummy. Now... the off duty gun is another matter all together.

Administrator
    Its fairly common for officers to purchase their own duty guns, with their own money or with an allowance provided by the department.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Something that most people are unaware of is that something like 80% of the departments in the US have less than 20 officers. A 200 man department is considered large...tho not by NYPD, LAPD etc. standards. Thier size leaves them with little budget money to purchase guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Option View Post
    Something that most people are unaware of is that something like 80% of the departments in the US have less than 20 officers. A 200 man department is considered large...tho not by NYPD, LAPD etc. standards. Thier size leaves them with little budget money to purchase guns.

Even some larger depts. will have their officers buy their own duty weapons. When I went to the police academy, one of NJ's largest cities did require that its officers buy their own duty weapons off an approved list. This city would definitely be well over 20 officers, more likely close to 300 at a minimum. NYPD has over 40K officers, last stat I heard.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Every department I know of, here in Texas, the officers purchase their own weapons... duty... off-duty... shotguns... AR's... ammo.... that includes Houston
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

In my state...if a cop walked into a gun store from a shoot out across the street looking to buy ammo...(s)he better have his/her LTC...or (s)he's going away without ammo.

Yeah how many states do you need to be licensed in just to buy ammo? Even components... It's a felony to posses even a single empty case without the proper license! Though I don't think anyones ever been prosecuted for that before.

Sixto has explained NC law to a "T". If he is LEO and purchasing a firearm to be used in the line of duty, he must provide a letterhead from his dept stating so and that he has no felonies or domestic violence convictions. If he buying for personal use he must follow the same gun laws as every other citzen. This means getting a pistol permit from the Sheriffs dept or showing a CC permit.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hey, dem's apparently da rules. On the one hand, I was thinking it's a little idiotic to require someone who has pretty clearly passed at least one very extensive background check to prove that he has passed another.

On the other hand, LE Agencies are pretty sensitive about public perception of special privileges (there AREN'T that many, at least not that I've been able to see), and I'm sure the gun shop owners don't want any problems from ATF or the local powers that be.

Makes me want to not be a LEO or a gun shop owner....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    We don't have permit to purchase here in VA, but selling guns to cops, I have seen a few get quiet angry and flustered.

Here in VA there is no wait except the 5 minutes to do the backround check. Sometimes that turns into 20 minutes whether or not the person is FLAGGED in the records for being "SPECIAL" I have seen cops get delayed along with Military, and average joes citizens.

The problems happen when they get delayed. I've been accuesed of some crazy crap selling guns, but some will get a little beligerent kind of testy saying "WHY am I delayed I'm a Police Officer!" Sir your complaint is with Virginia State Police not I. I had one guy say "yeah well your running the backround check!" I didn't respond because one it was a statement two I didn't know how to.

Everytime I sell a gun now to cop or military or even a guy with a clearance I generally try and warn them first that they may in fact get delayed on the basis they have/had/or are Law Enforcement. Most people are very understanding but I've had a few that are well a little mean and demanding.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    If they have had a high enough backround for their backround or employment to make a difference (a delay) they should know exactly why they are being delayed. I have and have had the highest of clearances a fool like me can have, but I have a very uncommon last name... no delays for me.

Most often delays have nothing to do with employment, but people with like names, close SSN's or the all to common computer problems. They rarely will admit that the system is down to the caller, but it does happen often.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    On the one hand, I was thinking it's a little idiotic to require someone who has pretty clearly passed at least one very extensive background check to prove that he has passed another.
    I know a current LEO who was denied a Texas CHL because he did not pass the background check.

So.... no CHL, but he is still an active LEO. Small agency, apparently their background check is not as detailed as the one for a CHL.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    I know a current LEO who was denied a Texas CHL because he did not pass the background check.

So.... no CHL, but he is still an active LEO. Small agency, apparently their background check is not as detailed as the one for a CHL.
    Apparently they did no backround, or he got into trouble afterwards and nobody found out.

I forgot to mention before that I have been turned down before (I'm a LEO) because the address on my ID's is not my home address. Its no big deal, the shop was trying to follow the rules and protect their business. I have no problem with that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Note all departments/agency issue handguns

State officers in Florida are issued Glock 17; But if they don’t want someone else old hand me down, the officer can provide there own Glock 17. In ether case, the state provides the ammo.

Local sheriffs departments have different policies. One where I live now requires there deputy’s to provide there own pistol and the department provides the ammo. And they allow the deputy to carry 9 mm, 40 cal, and 10 mm, and 45 cal.

The Sheriffs department I worked for in the 70’s required us to provide our own sidearm but issued a 12-guage riot shotgun. Go figure!

A bunch of this crap is caused by federal regulations & laws. About 15 yeas ago a buddy of mine was a sheriff’s deputy in Indiana, who ultimately became chief deputy, had 20 years as a LEO. Indiana has (had) a background check form that was filled out at time of purchase of a handgun, 1 copy to the state police, 1 copy to your sheriff and a waiting period, which was waived if you had your CCW. Due to a requirement by ATF on the background check to be able to continue waiving CCWs LEOs were no longer exempted. We use to go to gun shows together (now remember this was LONG before “straw purchase” regulations) and if he found a handgun he wanted I would buy it and then sell it to him in the squad car before we left the parking lot, no paper work for private sells. So a 20 cop, chief deputy of his department was less able to purchase a handgun than Joe Average with a CCW….WHAT A COUNTRY!!!!!!

I'd just get a CCW and be done with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links