Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!!

This is a discussion on Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This all sounds very odd to me. In Washington state we can substitute a commission card, whether it be federal, state, city or county issued ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!!

This all sounds very odd to me. In Washington state we can substitute a commission card, whether it be federal, state, city or county issued for a CCW. Basically our waiting period is so the local law enforcement can run a check on you, and if you have a CCW or a commission card then the check by them has been completed. We then just call in the federal 4473 and if they say go we can sell it. The only way department letter head is required is if they want a discount from the gun company, and then they have to order it through that company's leo sales division.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'd just get a CCW and be done with it.
    In Nebraska, it's actually counterproductive for a LEO to obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit. By doing so, they subject themselves to all sorts of restrictions upon "permitholders" which do not apply if they simply carry under the provisions of the LEOSA.

Because it is the law here in MN.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Slightly off topic here but...why should anyone need a permit to buy a handgun from the local PD?
    It is free and good for a year. The local PD is suppose to run some kind of background check on you. It takes 10 days max but I have gotten them in about 3. I now of course have a permit to carry and that takes the place of the permit to purchase here.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

in Missouri law enforcement used to have to get a permit to aquire from the county sheriff just like everyone else. I know this because I was there once picking up a permit and there was a cop in there and they were giving him a hard time for some reason, I couldn't beleave it! But that is all gone now as of aug 28th they repealed the PTA now there is just the NICS check witch is all that they need in the first place.
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    It is free and good for a year. The local PD is suppose to run some kind of background check on you. It takes 10 days max but I have gotten them in about 3. I now of course have a permit to carry and that takes the place of the permit to purchase here.
    Why do they need to run a local background check? That's what the NICS check is for. Stupid (state) law in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTXCop View Post
    Every department I know of, here in Texas, the officers purchase their own weapons... duty... off-duty... shotguns... AR's... ammo.... that includes Houston
    Almost all the larger departments in the DFW area issue the duty weapon. Alot of the smaller ones also...notice I said most, not all.

Somewhat related many years ago the police in Raleigh, NC was running low on ammo and their regular supplier was out. They went two blocks down the street an bought some from a local gun store to make it until a shipment came in to their regular supplier. The Feds found out and because of some technicality the local gun dealer wasn't licensed to sell to police agencies they closed him down. The Police Chief and Mayor did their best to help him but the feds would have none of it. The local policemen were really PO'd as that is where they usually bought all their guns for their private use.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'd just get a CCW and be done with it.
    I agree with you AZ, however not all states allow the use of a CWP in lieu of a NCIS check. In AZ, if you want to buy a gun (any gun) you go to the gunstore, ogle all of the guns, pick one out, pay for it , fill out the paperwork, they get a copy of your CWP and your DL, and take your new baby home.
    One of the reasons that I started down this CWP path was that every time I wanted to go to purchase a firearm I got delayed. Sometimes for a few hours, (they would call back with a "proceed") but most times I would have to wait for three days. I never figured out why, but 4 days after applying for my CWP I was given a "Proceed " immediatly, whatever flag whas on my name was looked into and cleared up.

I think I will stay in Arizona, no rules, just right!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Option View Post
    Almost all the larger departments in the DFW area issue the duty weapon. Alot of the smaller ones also...notice I said most, not all.
    A buddy of mine just got hired on with a very small dept in the DFW area. They gave him a letter on dept letterhead to go buy his own & he got LEO discount from Glock. Oh yeah, this was for his backup/off duty weapon. He already had his duty weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Somewhat related many years ago the police in Raleigh, NC was running low on ammo and their regular supplier was out. They went two blocks down the street an bought some from a local gun store to make it until a shipment came in to their regular supplier. The Feds found out and because of some technicality the local gun dealer wasn't licensed to sell to police agencies they closed him down. The Police Chief and Mayor did their best to help him but the feds would have none of it. The local policemen were really PO'd as that is where they usually bought all their guns for their private use.
    I would expect that from someplace like NJ, NY MA.

If Michael J. Sullivan gets Congressional approval to be the director of ATF (currently acting director) this will probably happen more.

"We'll miss him in Massachusetts, but he'll be a strong leader at ATF, and I look forward to working with him on key issues on gun control." -- Senator Ted Kennedy

Read this from GOA about him...

GOA Alert-- December 04, 2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links