Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!!

This is a discussion on Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So i was at our little local gun store (which i am already not a fan of, but its all we got) and there was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!!

Gun store wont let an LEO buy a gun!!

So i was at our little local gun store (which i am already not a fan of, but its all we got) and there was an off duty cop there to pick up a glock he had ordered from them. I didnt overhear much of the convo, but pretty much what happened is that they wouldnt sell it to him.
    now in michigan in order to purchase a pistol you need either a purchase permit from the local police station, or a CPL.
    Im not sure exactly what the laws are as far as cops buying guns, but he had his LEO ID. So technically he doesnt have his CPL.. cuz he doesnt need one.. he is an LEO!
    anyone see why im confused here?
    He actually walked out of the store without his glock.. and he was NOT happy about it! i talked with him quickly outside. he said that he was never going back to that store and that he has bought guns with his LEO license all the time, and this was even a duty gun and mumble grumble grumble.
    can anyone provide any insight to whether or not the people at the store are just stupid or if there is anything behind this?
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

If you need in MI....

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    So i was at our little local gun store (which i am already not a fan of, but its all we got) and there was an off duty cop there to pick up a glock he had ordered from them. I didnt overhear much of the convo, but pretty much what happened is that they wouldnt sell it to him.
    now in michigan in order to purchase a pistol you need either a purchase permit from the local police station, or a CPL.
    Im not sure exactly what the laws are as far as cops buying guns, but he had his LEO ID. So technically he doesnt have his CPL.. cuz he doesnt need one.. he is an LEO!
    anyone see why im confused here?
    He actually walked out of the store without his glock.. and he was NOT happy about it! i talked with him quickly outside. he said that he was never going back to that store and that he has bought guns with his LEO license all the time, and this was even a duty gun and mumble grumble grumble.
    can anyone provide any insight to whether or not the people at the store are just stupid or if there is anything behind this?
    a purchase permit or a CPL and there is no exclusion for LE then that is what he needs in spite of what other gun stores may have allowed. I for one am not in favor of special rules for off duty LE but if the law is written that way so be it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

yea thats what im confused about. i guess maybe the law really does require a 'normal' cpl. but im not even sure if they issue those to cops.
    im thinking there is something in the law im missing here. maybe not. we do have dumb laws
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Dumb laws beget dumb things happening. If it was to be a duty gun, seems like his department would have issued it to him - but I don't know how those things work.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

One of the reasons I got my CWP, no 5 day waiting period.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I don't know of any state that....

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    yea thats what im confused about. i guess maybe the law really does require a 'normal' cpl. but im not even sure if they issue those to cops.
    im thinking there is something in the law im missing here. maybe not. we do have dumb laws
    will issue a CPL to a LEO just because they are LE. The law either states that they can carry off duty and their individual department allows this or they have to go through the same process as you and I. Nothing is stopping them from taking the class, passing the shooting test, and paying the fee. Our past police chief of Minneapolis for months after he was hired could not carry because there is some state test he had to pass. I don't know the details but he kept putting off taking the test. So for awhile I could carry and he couldn't which I thought was pretty funny.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Good question; but, I've seen Federal Officers buy guns out of their State of Residence on thei ID. If the Officer is local, I believe that he can buy within Michigan using his Departmental ID.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    OK, here is the some of the scoop, but I cant comment on MI specifically... if it is to be a duty gun, it must be purchased on a letter head and a purchase order. Carrying or having possession of a department issue is the responsibility of that PD to make sure their officers are on the up and up, and the where abouts of all the PD owned weapons. If it were not this way, I could show my creds and purchase all kinds of cool stuff without the knowledge of the people who carry the bond on my actions... I dont think they would be happy about that.
    If it is going to be a personally owned gun, no matter what the intended purpose is, he is suppose to follow the same rules as everyone else.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yep....

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    From the MI statutes;

28.432a Persons to whom requirements inapplicable.
    Sec. 12a. The requirements of this act for obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol do not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A peace officer of a duly authorized police agency of the United States or of this state or a political subdivision of this
    state, who is regularly employed and paid by the United States or this state or a subdivision of this state, except a township
    constable.
    (b) A constable who is trained and certified under the commission on law enforcement standards act, 1965 PA 203, MCL
    28.601 to 28.616, while engaged in his or her official duties or going to or coming from his or her official duties, and who is
    regularly employed and paid by a political subdivision of this state.
    (c) A person regularly employed by the department of corrections and authorized in writing by the director of the department
    of corrections to carry a concealed pistol during the performance of his or her duties or while going to or returning from his or
    her duties.
    here's the link;
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Slightly off topic here but...why should anyone need a permit to buy a handgun from the local PD?

Why would an LEO be going down to a gun store to buy a duty weapon... never heard of it... but I not dead yet I guess...

The majority of departments in the US do not issue weapons to their officers. They are on their own to purchase those weapons (sometimes from an approved dept. list, sometimes not). Prior to my department going to an issue weapon we could carry wht we wanted as long as it met certain caliber restictions and was approved by the firearms training coordinator. So it very well may have been his duty gun and according to what I read in the MI law he should have been allowed to purchase it. A dept letterhead is only required to purchase directly from Glock or one of their LE only distributors.

One LEO here always gets a "hold" on his form check everytime he buys a wep... He just happens to have a name similar to someone on the "no-no" list.

Others lost their right to personally own firearms when "misdemeanor domestic violence" became a no-go question.

I also knew of a veteran LEO who temporarily lost his right to personally own weapons when his ex-wife filed for and got a TRO against him. It was bogus...but it took him off of the security detail for the Gov. of Mass. 'cuz he couldn't possess a firearm out of uniform. He had to drive to the barracks in civvies, change into his uniform and check out his weapons...every day. (That story related by an attorney friend in Mass.)

At least in Arkansas and Massachusetts LEO credentials are not sufficient evidence to bypass the background check. In Arkansas the CHL is... In Oklahoma it is not...(if it is...the law has recently changed)....

As for MI law...the LEO in question should know what he needs or doesn't need...one would think.

YMMV for state requirements... The BATF requirements are the same.

Be safe,

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Option View Post
    The majority of departments in the US do not issue weapons to their officers. They are on their own to purchase those weapons (sometimes from an approved dept. list, sometimes not). Prior to my department going to an issue weapon we could carry wht we wanted as long as it met certain caliber restictions and was approved by the firearms training coordinator. So it very well may have been his duty gun and according to what I read in the MI law he should have been allowed to purchase it. A dept letterhead is only required to purchase directly from Glock or one of their LE only distributors.
    This is true and he might be using it for work but it would be considered a personally owned gun with no departmental oversight or regulation... that is why I mentioned the letter head and P.O. The Glock thing is not a legal matter, its a matter of a discount.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links