Defensive Carry banner

Jamming issues with stock XD magazines

8K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Viper37 
#1 ·
Went shooting the last couple weekends. I have a major concern. It seems the 4th or 5th round in both the 9 and 12 round magazines that came with gun continue to have failure to load issues. That round jams and I have to manually rack the slide to get the round chambered.

The time today, I cleaned the gun before I went and made sure everything was real clean and oiled appropriately. Same results.

This really disappoints me as I want to know it's going to work when I need it.

Any thoughts out there? Is this common? Thanks in advance.

JP

#3 ·
No, it is not common. I have the two that came with my XD 40 SC, and then bought four more Springfield XD magazines and have never had a problem with either the original magazines or the additional magazines. In other brand pistols where I have had very similar problems, the problem has always been traced back to a magazine problem. However, assuming that it is a new pistol and new Springfield XD magazines (not some knock off), I have absolutely no explanation. Maybe someone will have a good solution that you can try before you have to send the pistol in.

#4 ·
That sounds odd. I never had any issues with the two XD's that I have.

My xd9sc with the 10 and 16 round mag have never had issues.

My xd45c has never had issues. I have two 10 rd mags and 2 13rd mags. The two 10 rounders are kept loaded all the time.

Have you taken the mags apart to clean them? Did you buy the XD new or used?

If it is new with a low round count I would call Springfield and see if they will replace the mags.

#5 ·
My XD45 had feeding/jamming issues early on. For awhile, I just used ball ammo, but it seems to have warmed up to the Hornady 185gr +p JHPs I'm using, now that it's nearing the 1,000 round mark. My 4 mags are numbered, and I do have a few that that seemed to work better than the others. I'm still sending it back to Springfield for service, though, because I want to be 100% sure about it (I'm having a few other things done as well).
I talked to someone at an IDPA match, not long ago, who was shooting an XD40, and he mentioned feeding issues and having his feed ramp polished under warranty by Springfield.

#6 ·
not typical

quite frankly you are the first person I have seen on any forum or from a range who has had problems with XD's loading problems. My 9mm has never had a glitch with factory mags in either the 10 or 16 rounds. I do take mine apart after shooting IPDA from dropping the mags on the ground and clean out the grit. It is pretty amazing how much junk gets in the magazine from the ground. I think I would try that and also look at the relative postion of the carrier at that location for your 4th or 5th round and see if there are any dings or burrs which could cause the carrier to hang up.
'

#7 ·
This is a very common occurrence with early mags for the XD's. they are known to have feed problems, Sprinfield is aware of this and will replace them free of charge and you won't have the problem any more. I have seen this on a few early XD's, 45acp.

#9 ·
Longbow is correct. I have a PI buddy that had an earlier model XD even before the melonite his XD would not on rust on the slide but the mag's were not good either just like you describe. SA will replace them, call them on monday and complain to CS and they will likely give you an extra mag or two to boot.

My buddy told SA (which was true) that he was qualifying with the gun and it was jamming up and had to use his Glock to finish thus not being able to quilify with the XD and put it on the short list of 9mm's he can carry. Guess that fired SA up as they sent him a shipping label, refinished the gun in melonite and sent him 8 mag's instead of the 4 he had. They did something else too but I can't remember what it was but the bottom line is they took care of him.

After that was straight he sold it.

Call SA on Monday.

Ti

#10 ·
Pistol is less than a year old. I bought it at a gun show brand new. These are the original mags, I have not purchased any others. They stay fully loaded with defensive rounds 100% of the time I am not at the range.

The issue is Failure to Feed. I'm shooting white box from Walmart (not sure if that matters). I have never taken the mags all the way apart to clean...so maybe that should be my next time.

However, I will give Springfield a call on Monday though.

JP

PS - I am glad to hear this is not common, as I really like this pistol.

#11 ·
Hate to say it but those mag's could have been switched with the older ones SA was having trouble with. Gun's shows are great but I don't put anything past anyone to do for the dollar.

Again, call SA on Monday. Tell them your issue and I bet they send you new mags and your issue goes away. I had an XD-45c that fed anything. it could be the ammo but i doubt it in this case.

#14 ·
1500 rounds +

I have had no problems with my XD 40 4"service. Straight out of the box and onto the range it ceases to amaze me on how well it feeds round after round. I bought three more factory mags from Top Gun Supply very reasonable ($21 ea). Needed them for a Defensive Handgun Class. Not one problem. Call SA I'm sure they will make it right.

#16 ·
I called and they wanted me to send the whole pistol and mags in. I wasn't real comfortable with that and it being gone 2-4 weeks as it's my only pistol. So we compromised somewhat and I purchased 2 new mags and they gave me a return shipping number. When I get the new ones I will send the old ones back. If it's determined to be a mag issue then they will credit me back on the 2 I purchased. If not, then I have to send the pistol in.

We shall see what happens.

JP

#28 ·
Well it's the same malfunction each time, so I have had some practice. Additionally, it's a failure to feed, so it's not like I have to shake it or do anything out of the ordinary to clear some used shell casing or something. Just rack the slide and we are good to go. I wouldn't say I'm a ninja at it, but my buddy I was sharing a lane with didn't even know I was having problems until I was complaining about it after the shoot.

cwblanco said:
Many dealers selling the XD brand will have it priced at much less. I am confident these also are available in your area for less than list price. Because you already have had jamming problems, be careful not to get any off brand knock off.
I just bought the ones directly from SA since I was on the phone with them and, if it's a mag problem, they are going to reimburse me anyway. I definitely was on the same page with you about that one.

#24 ·
Kinda getting off topic again, will the subcompact XD 9 run the full size XD mags?
probably a dumb ? but enlighten me anyway.

#25 ·
Yes, they will, even the komifornia compliant 10 round mags, I know because I bought 3 of them for $33 bucks for use as range mags, only problem is you have a gap where the extension spacer would go, if this isnt a problem for you then they will seat fine and lock into place, just look ugly.

#26 ·
good to know.
and that was the plan, just for range use so who cares if its pretty.

#30 ·
Range Report

:hand10:

I'm happy to report that I shot 100 rounds of Walmart White Box through the 3 new mags and had zero FT_ issues at all. No issues with anything, ammo ran through fine, everything went well. I know it was just 100 rounds and it was just 1 trip to the range...but that is the first trip in a few where I have had zero FT-anything issues.

Now, hopefully SA finds issues with the magazines I sent them and credits me back for 2 magazines. I can't imagine they would find no issues after the results I had today with the new ones they sent, but who knows.

JP

#32 ·
:hand10:

I'm happy to report that I shot 100 rounds of Walmart White Box through the 3 new mags and had zero FT_ issues at all. No issues with anything, ammo ran through fine, everything went well. I know it was just 100 rounds and it was just 1 trip to the range...but that is the first trip in a few where I have had zero FT-anything issues.
JP
Now that you have good magazines, I suspect that you should be able to feed any brand of ammo (FMC and JHP) through your XD without any snafus. Because your XD was new, I was convinced all along that it was magazine problems. It is always reassuring for one to know that his pistol is reliable, without having a lingering concern about whether it will chamber, fire, and eject as it is supposed to do.

#31 ·
Told ya, told ya! Just kidding, glad it worked out. SA should send you new mag's, if they don't then ask them why have had so many probelms with them in the past? I know of three that have had this same issue but in fairness not with a gun as new as yours was (year old). That doesn't mean that you didn't get some of the new but older mag's that had problems and obvoiusly you did.

Makes for a much better and satisfying day at the range with a gun that works.

ETA - I believe you got hosed at the gun show and switched with the older mag's. If not, that is the newest XD I have heard of with mag issues like earlier models had.

Ti

#34 ·
I experienced this issue with my XD 3" Subcompact. I found the problem to be with one magazine only out of four I have. Upon closer inspection of the problem magazine, I found it to be bent. I believe it was bent after hitting a concrete floor at the range one afternoon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.