Jamming issues with stock XD magazines

This is a discussion on Jamming issues with stock XD magazines within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went shooting the last couple weekends. I have a major concern. It seems the 4th or 5th round in both the 9 and 12 round ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamming issues with stock XD magazines

Jamming issues with stock XD magazines

Went shooting the last couple weekends. I have a major concern. It seems the 4th or 5th round in both the 9 and 12 round magazines that came with gun continue to have failure to load issues. That round jams and I have to manually rack the slide to get the round chambered.

The time today, I cleaned the gun before I went and made sure everything was real clean and oiled appropriately. Same results.

This really disappoints me as I want to know it's going to work when I need it.

Any thoughts out there? Is this common? Thanks in advance.

JP
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    How old are the magazines? Have they been left loaded for a while? If they have, try a set of Wolf extra power magazine springs. That may be the issue.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
    Went shooting the last couple weekends. I have a major concern. It seems the 4th or 5th round in both the 9 and 12 round magazines that came with gun continue to have failure to load issues. That round jams and I have to manually rack the slide to get the round chambered.

The time today, I cleaned the gun before I went and made sure everything was real clean and oiled appropriately. Same results.

JP
    No, it is not common. I have the two that came with my XD 40 SC, and then bought four more Springfield XD magazines and have never had a problem with either the original magazines or the additional magazines. In other brand pistols where I have had very similar problems, the problem has always been traced back to a magazine problem. However, assuming that it is a new pistol and new Springfield XD magazines (not some knock off), I have absolutely no explanation. Maybe someone will have a good solution that you can try before you have to send the pistol in.

That sounds odd. I never had any issues with the two XD's that I have.

My xd9sc with the 10 and 16 round mag have never had issues.

My xd45c has never had issues. I have two 10 rd mags and 2 13rd mags. The two 10 rounders are kept loaded all the time.

Have you taken the mags apart to clean them? Did you buy the XD new or used?

If it is new with a low round count I would call Springfield and see if they will replace the mags.

JP
    My XD45 had feeding/jamming issues early on. For awhile, I just used ball ammo, but it seems to have warmed up to the Hornady 185gr +p JHPs I'm using, now that it's nearing the 1,000 round mark. My 4 mags are numbered, and I do have a few that that seemed to work better than the others. I'm still sending it back to Springfield for service, though, because I want to be 100% sure about it (I'm having a few other things done as well).
    I talked to someone at an IDPA match, not long ago, who was shooting an XD40, and he mentioned feeding issues and having his feed ramp polished under warranty by Springfield.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

not typical

quite frankly you are the first person I have seen on any forum or from a range who has had problems with XD's loading problems. My 9mm has never had a glitch with factory mags in either the 10 or 16 rounds. I do take mine apart after shooting IPDA from dropping the mags on the ground and clean out the grit. It is pretty amazing how much junk gets in the magazine from the ground. I think I would try that and also look at the relative postion of the carrier at that location for your 4th or 5th round and see if there are any dings or burrs which could cause the carrier to hang up.
    '

This is a very common occurrence with early mags for the XD's. they are known to have feed problems, Sprinfield is aware of this and will replace them free of charge and you won't have the problem any more. I have seen this on a few early XD's, 45acp.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Can you be more specific on the jam...is it failing to go to battery or failing to feed? Maybe if you can get some pictures posted of what it looks like.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    This is a very common occurrence with early mags for the XD's. they are known to have feed problems, Sprinfield is aware of this and will replace them free of charge and you won't have the problem any more. I have seen this on a few early XD's, 45acp.
    Longbow is correct. I have a PI buddy that had an earlier model XD even before the melonite his XD would not on rust on the slide but the mag's were not good either just like you describe. SA will replace them, call them on monday and complain to CS and they will likely give you an extra mag or two to boot.

My buddy told SA (which was true) that he was qualifying with the gun and it was jamming up and had to use his Glock to finish thus not being able to quilify with the XD and put it on the short list of 9mm's he can carry. Guess that fired SA up as they sent him a shipping label, refinished the gun in melonite and sent him 8 mag's instead of the 4 he had. They did something else too but I can't remember what it was but the bottom line is they took care of him.

After that was straight he sold it.

Call SA on Monday.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Pistol is less than a year old. I bought it at a gun show brand new. These are the original mags, I have not purchased any others. They stay fully loaded with defensive rounds 100% of the time I am not at the range.

The issue is Failure to Feed. I'm shooting white box from Walmart (not sure if that matters). I have never taken the mags all the way apart to clean...so maybe that should be my next time.

However, I will give Springfield a call on Monday though.

JP

PS - I am glad to hear this is not common, as I really like this pistol.
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Pistol is less than a year old. I bought it at a gun show brand new. These are the original mags, I have not purchased any others. They stay fully loaded with defensive rounds 100% of the time I am not at the range.

The issue is Failure to Feed. I'm shooting white box from Walmart (not sure if that matters). I have never taken the mags all the way apart to clean...so maybe that should be my next time.

However, I will give Springfield a call on Monday though.

JP

PS - I am glad to hear this is not common, as I really like this pistol.

Hate to say it but those mag's could have been switched with the older ones SA was having trouble with. Gun's shows are great but I don't put anything past anyone to do for the dollar.

Again, call SA on Monday. Tell them your issue and I bet they send you new mags and your issue goes away. I had an XD-45c that fed anything. it could be the ammo but i doubt it in this case.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Just my two cents but I keep 2 magazines full at all times. I switch the rounds every week as I think most springs can create a ''memory'' and can malfunction when it comes time to use them.
    Smith and Wesson SW40VE -SOLD
    XD9 4'' -Current
    Kimber Ultra Carry II- coming

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    No, it is not common. I have the two that came with my XD 40 SC, and then bought four more Springfield XD magazines and have never had a problem with either the original magazines or the additional magazines. In other brand pistols where I have had very similar problems, the problem has always been traced back to a magazine problem. However, assuming that it is a new pistol and new Springfield XD magazines (not some knock off), I have absolutely no explanation. Maybe someone will have a good solution that you can try before you have to send the pistol in.
    Ditto. Same experience.. 5 magazines, 1400 rounds, not one failure.

1500 rounds +

I have had no problems with my XD 40 4"service. Straight out of the box and onto the range it ceases to amaze me on how well it feeds round after round. I bought three more factory mags from Top Gun Supply very reasonable ($21 ea). Needed them for a Defensive Handgun Class. Not one problem. Call SA I'm sure they will make it right.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post

My buddy told SA (which was true) that he was qualifying with the gun and it was jamming up and had to use his Glock to finish thus not being able to quilify with the XD and put it on the short list of 9mm's he can carry. Guess that fired SA up as they sent him a shipping label, refinished the gun in melonite and sent him 8 mag's instead of the 4 he had. They did something else too but I can't remember what it was but the bottom line is they took care of him.

Ti
    LOL that's ironic; my XD45 choked right in the middle of qualifying at my permit class. How embarrassing.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links