Shooting Techniques

Shooting Techniques

This is a discussion on Shooting Techniques within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been shooting handguns for over 12 years now. I have attended two different academys. NYS Dept of Corrections and the NYPD academy. Both ...

Thread: Shooting Techniques

Shooting Techniques

I have been shooting handguns for over 12 years now. I have attended two different academys. NYS Dept of Corrections and the NYPD academy. Both teach to pull the trigger with the first pad of your index finger. I have been shooting this way and it has worked out well. I shoot good groups out to 25 yards.

I recently tried shooting with the first joint of my index finger. I have very long fingers and I actually shoot better this way. It has been drilled into my head in both academys that shooting this way will jerk the trigger. Therefore, for over 12 years I've complied with that instruction. But if the first joint works better for a guy with ET fingers, than why not shoot that way?

Does anyone else have this issue?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

if the gun doesnt fit your hand how it should (like if u have long fingers), then i can see the next index working better for you.
    technique is important, but do what works best for you.
    as long as it isnt in between the 2 joints, i can see it working because when you bend your finger, you bend it at the larger joint. so pulling straight back without too much movement in the rest of the hand is quite possible.

so i would never teach that to anyone, but if it works better for you than great!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Senior Moderator
    The trigger sits right in front of the first joint on my finger.

I agree with friesepferd, use what works best for you.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I say if you hit your target that way then so be it. Kind of like the thumbs forward vs. thumbs stacked technique. Don't see the need to change old habits if it's effective for you. If you have to use your weapon one day the BG won't grade you on your form.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I never thought about it, but I use what works best with each pistol without thinking about it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The shooter should use as much finger that allows for a direct rearward press of the trigger. Nobody has the same hand dimensions so why to FIs tell them to use the same trigger finger/trigger engagement? FWIW, my finger engages the trigger just distal to the first joint.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Ive learned that different guns yield different techniques from me. For instance, my G19, XD45, and Kimber all have me pulling he trigger at about the middle of my fingers first pad. Actually, its just off center of it. My Taurus PT111 however, which has a smaller grip then the others, has me pulling the trigger from very close to the joint.

I say use what works as long as it performs the technique as its supposed to be done.

Shooting for target accuracy it might make a difference, but at the range when I'm shooting for quickness, I find that I tend to naturally hook the trigger pretty much at the knuckle and I'm quite satisfied with my shooting for combat accuracy.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Thanks for the replys. I was hoping that I was not alone.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

When I shoot one-handed (strong or weak hand) I "hook" the trigger rather than use the first pad. On very small guns, I also "hook" the trigger as my instructor used to call it. He used to get really mad until he had to accept that this works better for me. When I shoot a larger gun, XD45, M9, Double-Stack 1911, I shoot with the pad of my finger.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    My very first weapons instructor (USAF) gave me one of the best pieces of advice I ever got.
    "Do what you're comfortable with."
    Never forgot and always did it.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    What weapon do you usually shoot? I'm guessing it's your carry weapon?

The weapon that I experimented this technique with was my G23. Although, I also find it much easier to keep sight alignment this way with my Kahr P40 and my S&W j frames.

I kept good sight alignment with the first pad. But I can squeeze the trigger much quicker without losing the sight alignment if I use the first joint.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links