Buying a gun question

Buying a gun question

This is a discussion on Buying a gun question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I get the feeling I'm being fed a crock here. I was up at Gander Mountain looking around for a Kel-Tec for deep concealment. Well ...

Thread: Buying a gun question

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Buying a gun question

I get the feeling I'm being fed a crock here. I was up at Gander Mountain looking around for a Kel-Tec for deep concealment. Well we moved into our new house in August. I registered my new address with the state online and got a little card with my current address. My drivers licence still has my old address, but during a traffic stop it would show as my new address, hense the card. Well I went to go buy the gun and the guy at the counter told me that my current address needs to be on my DL before he can process any transaction. The change of address card was only good for traffic stops, but I can't buy a gun with it. I walked out unhappy. Was I fed a line or is this true?

Senior Moderator
    In Alabama you are required to prove to the FFL your residence. When I moved I brought a current utility bill in my name to prove residence, until I got the address on my DL changed.

It might just be store policy, but I would think that they would accept a state issued change of address card.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

In Ohio, they told me the same thing. So I had to run over to the BMV and get a new license and then go back.

The funny thing is, the BMV didn't ask for any proof of the new residence. I could have changed my address to anything I wanted.

Senior Moderator
    In both PA and VA you do have to have that change of address card if the address on your DL is old but the card is good for purchasing a firearm. As stated, it may just be store policy.

I'd call another store and ask, then call that store, ask for a manager and ask again. See what comes up.

kpw
    Please quit shopping at Gander Mountain. Not only do the sales people not have a clue, they will rip you off on the price. Go about 5 miles south of GM on Rt. 99 to Bob's Gun Shop. Talk to Bob or Dave, you'll save money on the purchase and yes, you can use that card. I moved in August and have one of those cards too.

JD
    Administrator
    I've bought in PA on a change of address card with license at least 3 times.

However none of those three were at that Gander Mountain, it's either store policy (doubtful), or the employee is just uneducated.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Gander is good at grand openings and about 11 months of razzle-dazzle. After that, prices go through the roof, customer service starts sucking worse than ever and the employees seem to gain 1/2 day accrued vacation per month and lose 15 IQ points simultaneously.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Please quit shopping at Gander Mountain. Not only do the sales people not have a clue, they will rip you off on the price. Go about 5 miles south of GM on Rt. 99 to Bob's Gun Shop. Talk to Bob or Dave, you'll save money on the purchase and yes, you can use that card. I moved in August and have one of those cards too.
    I live in Franklin county, right near Maryland. I don't live near Erie. There isn't a huge selection of gun shops around here.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    You were fed a line. The Photo DL in conjunction with the change of address card is all that is required.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I had the same thing happen. They changed my address due to a 911 update in my area. I didn't move they just changed my address. ha! Anyway, went to buy just a cheap over and under and got turned down due to the wrong address on my license. So it does happen.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I live in Franklin county, right near Maryland. I don't live near Erie. There isn't a huge selection of gun shops around here.
    Sorry, thought it was Franklin the city

This may be a store policy not a state requirement.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links