Is it just me...

Is it just me...

This is a discussion on Is it just me... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...or does it seem that I am becoming numb to all the shootings I hear about on the news. That the media has over done ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Is it just me...

...or does it seem that I am becoming numb to all the shootings I hear about on the news. That the media has over done themselves to the point where they don't get the same effect they used to from a shooting?

Administrator
    Like everything else they do, yes... its over done. Im not sure its the medias fault or all the copy cat bandwagon jumpers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was just thinking the same thing... but if there's one incident being reported, the media tends to jump on every one. It's like small aircraft incidents. I mention this because I'm a pilot. There are aircraft incidents all the time, every day, but if there's one where someone gets killed, the media jumps on it and reports every incident for the next few weeks.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I still cringe every time I hear these stories. Every one of the victims is someone's mother, dad, sister, brother, etc.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by PCMaven View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing... but if there's one incident being reported, the media tends to jump on every one. It's like small aircraft incidents. I mention this because I'm a pilot. There are aircraft incidents all the time, every day, but if there's one where someone gets killed, the media jumps on it and reports every incident for the next few weeks.
    This is true. I recall that after Katrina, all the big networks and most of the others made weather related disasters of all size more of a priority.

These things go in rashes. I used to be numb after hearing so many of them, but stepping back every now and then helps.

VIP Member
    Regarding the media...........ratings = money
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Remember - this is an election year and if guns make the headlines, one party that sits at about 270 degrees on the dial benefits. Same thing with the economy, crime, anything negative about our military, etc.....

News is a packaged product. It's no different than the cereal you buy, or your TP, or anything else. You read and hear only what someone wants you to read. It's sad that the truth if it is ever told won't come out until a long time after an incident and even then it's buried between the dating classifieds and the pets for sale. It's too bad that trajedy has to happen and news is twisted to benefit someone, but it's the reality in which we live.
    Last edited by sniper58; February 8th, 2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: omission
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Remember, 'if it bleeds, it leads'..
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    I don't mean to start a war over this issue, but there has, in fact, been a rash of recent shootings , to me much more frequently then I can recall. I am not smart enough to know the reason for it, but it seems to be an increasing problem, and, although I am hardly a fan of the media, I think the problem is deeper and much more complicated then simply blaming the media. If anything, it is a reflection of a change, for the worse, of our society. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree, but please be polite.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Remember, 'if it bleeds, it leads'..
    Great line. How true!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Or could the liberal media possibly be overhyping these incidents in an attempt to influence the SCOTUS decision on DC v. Heller? Not to mention the elections.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't mean to start a war over this issue, but there has, in fact, been a rash of recent shootings , to me much more frequently then I can recall. I am not smart enough to know the reason for it, but it seems to be an increasing problem, and, although I am hardly a fan of the media, I think the problem is deeper and much more complicated then simply blaming the media. If anything, it is a reflection of a change, for the worse, of our society. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree, but please be polite.

Ron

That or they are just reporting it more to make a stink.

VIP Member
    I cringe whenever I hear about a shooting.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    That or they are just reporting it more to make a stink.
    I agree completly that the media sensationalizes to sell more papers. But, just look at the number of shootings this past week. And, another phenomenom that is really troubling to me is what I believe is the significant increase in the killing of LEOs. I think it used to be relatively rare to read about the cold blooded killing of a LEO. The thugs today seem to think nothing of it. Something is very wrong, and to blame the media is IMO just ignoring the problem.

Now, please don't misread this post. I am not for a moment suggesting the problem is guns. But, I also don't believe the problem is the media. IMO it is much more complex and really inappropriate for a discussion on this Forum.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Read "Transfer of Wealth. The Case For Concealed Carry of Handguns." Many of the problems are discussed and shown to be contributing factors. A very good book about concealed carry and the need for it.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links