Noob glock problem. My best friend is an idiot

This is a discussion on Noob glock problem. My best friend is an idiot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, basically, to make a long story short, after shooting a couple hundred rounds through our glock 19s, I decide to take my noob friend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob glock problem. My best friend is an idiot

Noob glock problem. My best friend is an idiot

So, basically, to make a long story short, after shooting a couple hundred rounds through our glock 19s, I decide to take my noob friend under my wing and attempt to help him understand how to clean his weapon (like its rocket science, right?). Anyway, as Im showing him how to clean the bore, he decides to put the slide back on the frame without the barrel and recoil spring.

I tried fooling with it a little, but not wanting to do any damage, decided to bring my question here.

This is the same man who tried to clean my own glock without lubing the bore beforehand (as some of you may remember one of my last posts).

Am I correct in assuming that

A) My friend, who we'll rename "Bob", is an idiot

and

B) I'll need to have a gunsmith remove the slide from the frame.

Thanks for your imput.

Im done teaching newbies.

Jeff
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLrrp View Post

Im done teaching newbies.

Jeff

No need to hang your hat up yet......If you are the one teaching him, thats exactly what you should be doing. Not cleaning your gun too. You should watch everything he does so you can stop him before he messes something up and not after.

You just have to have some patients when teaching a newb and focus on what they are doing. Try cleaning yours first explaining what you are doing and why you are doing it. Then you can watch when they clean theirs or even clean yours a second time.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Does he have to bring it in to a smith, tho?
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

VIP Member
    I agree with David...do not give up on your friend unless he acts like a "know it all" or a creep.

Think of your assistance as "community service." You are showing a new-gun guy how to do things right....and safe.

My fear is if you walk away, he does something foolish like pulling the trigger on his Glock without ever checking whether or not it's loaded.

I'm not saying be responsible for the guy....as a gun owner, he needs to be responsible for his own actions, but rather, continue pointing him in the right direction.

You're doing good man.

Not sure if the gun needs to go to a gunsmith though.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

So the slide won't come off now? I figure all you'd need to do is pull the trigger to the rear and hold it there? The slide lock locks on the barrel---with no barrel---? Just trying to help you get that back apart. Indeed, your friend may require the special ed class. There you should be able to determine if he's a lost cause or not. If he's truly a lost cause, offer to buy his pistol as he'll be a danger to himself with it. Matter of fact, ask him what he'd take for that G19.

Shouldn't need a gunsmith to take it apart. Maybe he was just curious what would happen...I don't think he's necessarily an idiot.

Austin

Administrator
    nah, a little tap on the rear of the slide should free it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Make sure that the trigger is to the rear and then, like Sixto suggested, give it a little tap.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

A little 'tap' should Get-R-Done...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    If a tap doesn't work a good "jolt' with a 16 pound sledge hammer should do it. Make the gun come "apart" that is.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Its a Glock...a hammer would be fine. Some would use a plastic or rubber mallet, others prefer a heavy framing hammer. To each his own.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I've actually done the same thing with my Glock 19. I put the slide back on without the barrel and recoil spring. It took a bit of tapping with my rubber mallet but I got it off. I wouldn't be so harsh as to call your friend an idiot, we all make mistakes. Just think of what alot of people do while handling guns (finger on trigger, looking down the barrel, etc).
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Make sure she's unloaded!!!! oh, that's right, there's no barrel.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Make sure she's unloaded!!!! oh, that's right, there's no barrel.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    If he only does it once he made a mistake -- if he does it twice then he is absolutely an idiot!!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links