It Can Happen

This is a discussion on It Can Happen within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is an article about an accidental shooting in a local sporting goods store. One injured in accidental shooting in sporting goods store...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Can Happen

It Can Happen

Here is an article about an accidental shooting in a local sporting goods store.

One injured in accidental shooting in sporting goods store

2. Remove Ads

Four rules?
    He could easily have been killed.
    Bad for everyone...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I suspect this happens a lot more than we will ever know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

the gun should have been dismantled prior to entering the store. Such as pulling the bolt on a bolt action, or cocking the lever all the way open and leaving it that way on a lever action. Some folks just can't think....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I guess I just don't get how any discharge of a weapon can be called an "accident"...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I guess I just don't get how any discharge of a weapon can be called an "accident"...

Rick
    My sentiments also.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    “There was a bullet in the chamber he forgot about,” Benjamin said. “An employee walked past the counter at the moment he dislodged the bullet. He took a bullet to the abdomen. I don’t know that they knew there was a bullet in the chamber until it actually went off.”

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I suspect this happens a lot more than we will ever know.
    Probably does. This particular sporting goods store is a very good store and a business that has been here a lot of years. I have personally bought several guns there throughout the years as well as ammunition and archery equipment. A very unfortunate incident indeed. Never get lax in following safety rules is the lesson here.

Senior Moderator
    #1 This is why I NEVER walk in front of any gun (rifle, shotgun OR handgun) while it's being fiddled with, whether it's been "cleared" or not. The only "clear" weapon, in my book, is the one I've cleared myself and until I've seen for myself that the chamber is empty, I'm staying away from the business end of the barrel.

#2 Sixto's right. This stuff happens WAY more than you think it does. Even if nothing gets hurt except for some pride and the floor or ceiling.

#3 The employee obviously didn't know what he was doing when he was checking the rifle. If he'd known what he was doing the rifle would have been pointed in a safe direction and the first order of business would have been to unload the gun.

Just yesterday I had a customer bring in two rifles. One was a 30-06, the other was a .308. He wanted to switch the scope from one rifle to the other. He got really impatient with me that I insisted he give me the guns to check them and insisted they were unloaded. I cleared the 30-06, pulled back the bolt on the .308 and whella... I got a .308 cartridge in my hand. Next order of business was to proceed to remove four more .308 cartridges into my palm. I was very displeased. The store was PACKED, and had someone been fiddling with the gun, trying to mount a scope on it while it was fully loaded, who knows what could have happened.

I've had other customers bring in their guns with loaded magazines still in them, and I had a fellow employee cover the muzzle of a gun I was UNLOADING. The last thing on the face of this earth I'd want to touch, other than lava, is the muzzle of a loaded firearm while SOMEONE ELSE is handling it.

I yelled at a coworker for pointing a gun at his own arm and he said, "Gee, what's it with you and safety?"

I said, "What's it with you and being unsafe?"

Gun shops can be scary places. It's like walking through a mine-field sometimes.

There are no AD's . when a gun goes off it in this fashion it is because of stupid
    people and or persons.
    Walked into a gun shop a few months ago and as I came in the door a nimrod aimed directly at my chest with a glock. I ducted he laughed. I walked up to him and asked him if he had a death wish. I said make no mistake about it, I would have been well with in my rights to draw and fire because you were presenting an open threat to my life. His response hey it ain't loaded. Hey dumb Butt all guns are always loaded all the time. Oh yeah Mr. nimrod was a damn salesmen for the store.
    Jack dog

These accidents aren't just for rookies.

Monday, February 11, 2008

A former Delta police chief who also is a former longtime patrol officer in the Grand Junction Police Department is the man who accidentally shot a fellow employee in the abdomen at a Grand Junction gun shop, investigators said Monday.

Richard Bacher, 56, of Grand Junction was working on a .243-caliber rifle that was brought to Jerry’s Outdoor Sports store by a customer on Saturday morning when the gun discharged, investigators with the Mesa County Sheriff’s Department said.

Kenny Franklin, 53, who was struck by a single bullet in the abdomen, was listed in serious condition Monday afternoon at St. Mary’s Hospital.

Bacher and Franklin are store employees.

it's alwaya that unloaded weapon that seems to do the
    most damage. rules,rules,rules.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

It happens too often.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I yelled at a coworker for pointing a gun at his own arm and he said, "Gee, what's it with you and safety?"

I said, "What's it with you and being unsafe?"
    This is the most disappointing, when a gun store/counter worker is dismissive or even disparaging of those that take safety more seriously than they do. I don't know how many times, I've gone into shops to fondle a handgun and when I ask where do you want me to keep it pointed and get a shrug and a comment like, "wherever, I checked it."

I have to say for the most part I have had good experiences with the employees at the stores I frequent. They always seem to pull the magazine and rack the slide or bolt or whatever to make sure the gun is completely empty. Then I do the same to make double sure when the hand it to me to examine. I have yet to see one just hand over a gun without checking it or accepting a gun without checking it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links