Thinking EBRs and future AWB stuff

This is a discussion on Thinking EBRs and future AWB stuff within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know there's been a few threads up recently expressing a general pessimism on the likely state of gun control next year, given our remaining ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking EBRs and future AWB stuff

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Thinking EBRs and future AWB stuff

I know there's been a few threads up recently expressing a general pessimism on the likely state of gun control next year, given our remaining slate of presidential candidates. I started thinking about it, too, thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an Evil Black Rifle of my own before next January. The problem is, I didn't really know what I would want to do with it, what configuration I would want to get, so on and so forth.

Then I got a good piece of advice from a shooting buddy. The only regulated part of an AR is, of course, the lower receiver. And they aren't that expensive, being in about the $150 range for a stripped lower. The friend's advice was just to stock up a few lowers now and worry about what to do with them later. Kind of odd that had never occurred to me, but I like it.

I knew my brother had been thinking about someday maybe eventually getting himself an AR platform, too, but he never has the money to spend on something like that. But since neither of us is in a really hurry to have an EBR, buying the stripped lowers and having a sort of ongoing project gun is a great compromise.

So that's what we are going to do---we will each buy two or three lowers and, over the next six or eight months, put together our first AR. I figure, buy a parts kit here, a barrel there, so on and so forth, and eventually I will have a gun. Even better if a get a mag and some ammo every time I make a parts purchase.

First one up, I think, will be a 16" 5.56. Later on, we'll see.

I have one big question for the AR aficionados out there. Does the lower have any impact on the final caliber, or is that solely a function of the upper? I could see my second project being a full-sized barrel in either .308 or 7.62x39...

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; February 10th, 2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Typos.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

The lower receiver will limit your caliber choice. You can get an AR-15, or you can get an AR-10. Then there are some other variations that are not universal (i.e. parts only available from one source) that will give you a few other options. The AR-15 can be chambered in 5.56NATO, 6.5 Gredel, 6.8 SPC for a start. The AR-10 can be chambered in .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester for a start. .308 is most common for AR-10s, and .223 is most common for AR-15s. The magazine well is the biggest limiting factor that determines this - also keep in mind that magazines are a lot more expensive and harder to find for the weirder/newer/better/etc calibers.

Sounds like a good plan! The only thing I would change would be to buy 10 magazines and a case of ammo every time, instead of "some" ammo and "a" magazine. Happy shooting!

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    The .223 lowers will not accept .308 mags - the mag well just isn't long enough. There are .308 lowers available from DPMS for about $100 more than a .223 lower, however.

That aside, if you can find the right upper and mags, you should be able to use a .223 lower for most of the other popular calibers. 7.62x39 is approximately the same length as a .223, so it should fit through the mag well, and of course, you could always go the pistol caliber route.

I have seen some 2-piece lowers that use interchangable mag wells, so that may be something to look into. I don't remember who makes them though, and they're bound to be more expensive.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Moderator
    You can use the .223 lower for the 7.62x 39 upper.

You cannot for the .308.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Ah, okay... I'd heard some people say the lower didn't matter and, of course, some people say it did. So if I understand correctly, it is sort of both---the AR-15 will take several different calibers of upper. So if I want to stick with .223/5.56, 7.62x39, and 6.5 Grendel I can do it all off of AR-15 lowers...

Thanks for the information! Maybe I will have to get an AR-10 lower, as well, for further down the line, though I have seen a few places that they tend to be pretty finicky about the ammo they like to feed. Is this true?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Not sure about that. I haven't heard much either way about the AR-10s - I don't think they usually get shot as hard as the AR-15s do, so are probably less likely to run into problems.

Austin

VIP Member
    What mags fit the AR if you want 7.62x39? Do you get custom mags or just replace the spring and follower?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Well, I talked to a dealer today. As soon as my FFL faxes his info, there will be four Stag AR-15 stripped lowers heading my way!

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Well, I talked to a dealer today. As soon as my FFL faxes his info, there will be four Stag AR-15 stripped lowers heading my way!
    very nice. I just ordered 2 DPMS lowers yesterday. Here's to stocking up.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Good for you! I'm waiting for a big check to hit before I go buy mine. What's next...uppers? lower parts kits? barrels?

Austin

The AR-15 lower can also be used for .50 Beowulf if you want to go large bore.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    The AR-15 lower can also be used for .50 Beowulf if you want to go large bore.
    Jack
    Or a .50BMG if you go single-shot or side-mounted mag-fed.

VIP Member
    So I have a question about stocking up on EBRs or lowers. Is it for the investment to make money or is it so you can build multiple copies of an AR if a ban gets passed?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I won't be selling mine if that answers your question!

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    So I have a question about stocking up on EBRs or lowers. Is it for the investment to make money or is it so you can build multiple copies of an AR if a ban gets passed?
    Yes.

In all honesty, here's my logic.

If there's no ban, I will have one lower to build for my gf if she wants, and one to build into a bolt-action .50 if I so choose.

If there is a ban, I will still have one lower to build for my gf, and I can decide whether to keep the other one or sell it to help finance a single-shot lower and .50 upper.

I'm not going to just buy up a bunch of stuff I have no use for, but future sales is definitely a motivator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links