Range Report: Taurus PT1911

This is a discussion on Range Report: Taurus PT1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up my new Taurus 1911 on Friday afternoon. My wife & I went to the range today, despite wind chills into the low ...

Thread: Range Report: Taurus PT1911

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

I picked up my new Taurus 1911 on Friday afternoon. My wife & I went to the range today, despite wind chills into the low teens (new toys tend to cloud one's judgement).

The Taurus ate everything. Wolf, CCI Blazer Brass, WWB, Winchester 230 JHP and Remington 230 JHP. The Taurus did not like mil-spec 1911 mags at all. It looked like the mags went too far in and I had a heck of a time closing the slide. I finally backed the mag out a tad and the slide went forward. I replaced the magazine and it went bang everytime. Then I had to pry the mag out of the gun. After that, the new Chip Shooting Stars, Novak, Taurus and Wilson magazines functioned flawlessly with every type of ammo.

I then tried the Taurus mags in my Rock Island. NO WAY! the slide would not close at all and it took me 5 minutes to clear the gun. The Rock also liked the new Chip's (always liked the other mags).

I think the safest thing to do is to buy more Chip's, Novaks and Wilsons and relegate the mil-specs to the parts pile. I don't want to because the Rock shoots the mil-specs just fine, but I don't want to grab the wrong magazine when the game is on.

All in all, the Taurus is everything it's cracked up to be and then some. Very accurate, very smooth and very worth it!

She shot her (new to her) S&W .586 4" with .38+P loads. Shots were low and to the right, but she admitted her sighting was off (the last string was dead on). She shot DA all the way and the rest is practice and trigger pull.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Nice write up, sounds like a blast.
    Does your wife carry the 586?

VIP Member
    So on a value scale of 1 to 10 what would you give the Taurus, and the Rock island?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I think the Taurus is a "best buy"...similar to the Norinco 1911 when it came out in the 80's...but with more custom features.

Thanks for the write-up.

Enjoy the gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

My wife will carry the 586 once she completes the class (and related paperwork). The Taurus was a blast! Scale? I'd give the Taurus a 9 and the Rock a 7. My Rock eats everything (except Taurus mags...) and I had no problem with mil-spec sights....until I looked down the sights of the Taurus. I still practice with no sights. I think any dot system is good, but in the middle of the night when you hear a bump are you really going to see your sights that well?
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

kpw
    That's good to hear because I'm thinking hard a nib PT1911. Has Heinie Straight 8 NS, Blued for $529.

Good report! I have two Rocks and plan to add the PT1911 to my stable..have always liked that gun!

I would highly recommend the PT1911. The gun is smooooooooth! The Heine 8 NS system is highly detectable which was good given our overcast & fog during the session. I debated whether to get the Rock Tactical or the Taurus. The price difference was about $100 and I decided this will probably be my only foreseeable opportunity to buy a really good 1911 with a lot of extras (no offense to those who own a Wilson, Les, et al). Before this purchase, I was perfectly content with my RIA (still am). I read a lot of negatives about the Rock Island and have yet to experience any of them with my pistol. The Taurus, however, exceeded my expectations and deserves serious consideration.
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links