Ammo for M9?

This is a discussion on Ammo for M9? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is the 92FS capable of handling +P and +P+ on a regular basis? Thanks!...

Thread: Ammo for M9?

Ammo for M9?

Is the 92FS capable of handling +P and +P+ on a regular basis?
    Thanks!
    Criminals are not dissuaded by soft words, soft judges or easy laws. They are dissuaded by fear and they are prevented from repeating their crimes by death or by incarceration.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Regular 9mm NATO us usually a higher pressure round than standard 9mm Luger/9mm Para. ammunition.

Regular +P is fine, +P+ every now and then is OK, but I wouldn't personally want to shoot a lot of it.

Earlier M9s/92FS guns did have a problem with the steel making the slide crack with the hotter rounds, this initially was the cause for the Brigadier models with the beefier slide (or so I heard some where) but that issue has been resolved.

My M9 is one of the all metal models, a few yrs before the use of plastic parts.
    So either round is acceptable just for carry purposes.
    I use the K-Mart stuff for the range.
    Is there that much difference between the +P and the +P+?
    Criminals are not dissuaded by soft words, soft judges or easy laws. They are dissuaded by fear and they are prevented from repeating their crimes by death or by incarceration.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think technically, there is no defined limit for ammo labeled '+P+'. So depending on what brands you buy, it might be the same as '+P' or who knows... maybe KABOOOOOM!

Pretty sure my instruction manual on my 92FS specifically recomends NOT using +P or +P+.
    If she blows....and you survive without injury...BERETTA warranty won't cover the damage anyways.

If your simply looking into a defensive ammo option...there's lots out there.
    Personally I use FEDERAL Hydra-Shock Low recoil 135grn JHP. For range practice I shoot Walmart "white-box" 115grn FMJ

My .02
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

maybe KABOOOOOM
    Good point!

Personally I use FEDERAL Hydra-Shock Low recoil 135grn JHP. For range practice I shoot Walmart "white-box" 115grn FMJ
    That's exactly what I use now, but every now and then I get caught up in the "9mm is a weak defensive load" BS and think maybe I should be feeding her something with a little more "punch".
    But then my head gets control and says "JEEZ! If it's good enough for the armed srevices and the majority of LEOs out there, what am I fretting about???
    Bored I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by cupsz71 View Post
    Pretty sure my instruction manual on my 92FS specifically recomends NOT using +P or +P+.
    If she blows....and you survive without injury...BERETTA warranty won't cover the damage anyways.
    The Beretta manual states " The extended use of +P or +P+ ammunition may decrease component part service life expectancy." The only ammo that they say "do not use" is sub-machine gun ammo because of the chamber pressure. As long as your ammo is not reloads, Beretta will honor the warranty.

Your M9 will be fine using +P loads for self defense. I use Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P in my 90Two without a problem!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Links