Should I Worry About Lead Bouncin' Off My Face?

This is a discussion on Should I Worry About Lead Bouncin' Off My Face? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SOMETIMES, I'll get bounceback. It isn't really ricochet, but yesterday was a little unsettling... OK, I know I'm asking for it for even bringing this ...

Thread: Should I Worry About Lead Bouncin' Off My Face?

Should I Worry About Lead Bouncin' Off My Face?

SOMETIMES, I'll get bounceback. It isn't really ricochet, but yesterday was a little unsettling...

OK, I know I'm asking for it for even bringing this up, but it is so much fun to hit three or four spinners in rapid succession from close range! I was shooting lead nose 185g rounds because I was shooting at steel spinners at about 12-15 (or so) yards, and they're nice and squishy, even in .45 ACP...usually.

Yesterday, a big blob o' lead bounced gingerly off my bottom lip. It was nothing more than a kiss, with ZERO damage or pain. It was like getting hit from across the room with a small-ish wad of bubblegum, except that it was completely smooth on one side (just like any other one that hits these 1/4" targets). Embarrassing.

Every once in a great while I'll get some bounce back of MINOR incidence, but this is a first. So...should I stop shooting this way? I've NEVER had anything like a true ricochet doing this, probably because I'm using the leadnose. It might be a real problem w/ FMJ, though.

Thoughts? Does ANYONE else like to shoot spinners at relatively close range? Am I a total twit? I'm prepared to take the brunt of it if your response is 'yes, Scot...you're a total twit'.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I had to have surgery last year to remove a partial bullet from me... I was doing pretty much the same thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Careful.... coulda been an eye.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I had to have surgery last year to remove a partial bullet from me... I was doing pretty much the same thing.

THAT is enough for me. Thanks, Six. Also, thanks for not making me feel like a moron for shooting that way. I'll only feel like a moron if I continue.

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Careful.... coulda been an eye.
    No. I always wear eye protection. Not to say it COULDN'T happen, but this wouldn't have done much damage, even to an eye.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    We get splash at 30 feet hitting steel in my IDPA matches. (That's the closest IDPA lets you shoot steel, oddly enough... )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    SCOT VAN
    Good choice

I shoot falling steel plates with my 9mm at about 20 yards, with never a problem. But I am ALWAYS wearing good eye protection. Also, the plates are on a slight angle... maybe 10-degrees off the straight line. I think that might help the angle that the bullets bounce at.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I've shot steel for many years. I always wear eye protection and don't shoot closer then 10 yards. My lead always splashes and occasionally I hear pieces hitting the steel roof but never had any damage to me. I've got two great big granite rocks as a back up behind the swingers and dualing tree. Those I just use with handguns and 22 rifles. I also have a steel target at 250 yards for our 45/70 and I'm fixing to make another one out of thicker steel. The 3/8 inch steel when hit with .223 melts a .40 caliber hole through it. The 45/70 rounds just splash against it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

"We get splash at 30 feet hitting steel in my IDPA matches"

In an IDPA match a few months ago, a fragment came-off a steel plate and tagged me on my right cheek. An alcohol wipe took care of the little bit of bleeding, and I finished the day with no discomfort. About a week later, I found the darned thing working its way out of the little scab that had set-up. Wear those glasses!

I wouldn't do it that close.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I had that happen when I was in SASS quite often, Think Eye protection.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Links