Ruger Supplying Mini 14s w/ 20 Round Magazines Again?

This is a discussion on Ruger Supplying Mini 14s w/ 20 Round Magazines Again? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was browsing Ruger's website and saw that they are now offering 20 round mags with the mini 14 again, that's a nice change, maybe ...

Thread: Ruger Supplying Mini 14s w/ 20 Round Magazines Again?

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Question Ruger Supplying Mini 14s w/ 20 Round Magazines Again?

I was browsing Ruger's website and saw that they are now offering 20 round mags with the mini 14 again, that's a nice change, maybe someone in the company has finally had an awakening...

2. Remove Ads

As per my conversation with Ruger over the phone last week, "We have no plans to release the 20 round magazines for the Mini-14 at this time other than our special edition rifle."

I have 5 factory hicaps I paid through the nose for, but would be happy to see them lose value if Ruger opened the flood gates.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    That's a crock of....well we all know what it's a crock of.

That's very upsetting, I was hoping they'd finally be pulling their head out of....the sand...yeah that's it, the sand....

I don't have a mini, but if I did, I'd be pretty upset about this.

I just find it really ironic, that at the same time they have this "Support the NRA" rifle, they're thumbing their nose at the rest of their customers wanting the 20rd mags.

Senior Moderator
    The mags for the Mini-14 has been one of the main reasons that I never bought one.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Aftermarket 20 rounders

I'm not a rifle guy, but about 8 years ago I got a used Mini 14 just to have a rifle. It came with the standard 5 round factory mag and I bought two 20-round aftermarket mags (not sure what brand). I shoot the gun from time to time with the 20 round mags, and they have always worked okay - no failures of any kind. But I have always been a little perplexed as to why Ruger is so tight fisted with high capacity factory mags for this gun. I presume that somebody in the management there feels there is some legal or moral reason to avoid selling these to the general public.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I believe its because of the Miami Shoot out with the FBI and one of the perps used a Mini 14. Ruger didnt want any LEO outgunned so they sell only with 5 rd mags.

Thats the reason to the best of my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I'm not a rifle guy, but about 8 years ago I got a used Mini 14 just to have a rifle. It came with the standard 5 round factory mag and I bought two 20-round aftermarket mags (not sure what brand). I shoot the gun from time to time with the 20 round mags, and they have always worked okay - no failures of any kind. But I have always been a little perplexed as to why Ruger is so tight fisted with high capacity factory mags for this gun. I presume that somebody in the management there feels there is some legal or moral reason to avoid selling these to the general public.
    Bill Ruger sold firearms for the "Responsible Sportsman".

Responsible sportsmen do not need high capacity magazines or handguns smaller than a canned ham.

Responsible sportsmen are unaffected by assault weapon bans because they don't use them.

Responsible sportsmen support such reasonable politicians as Bill Clinton, John Kerry, Ted K and so forth.

Ruger has been dealing with such corporate inertia for a long time and even the act of selling 20 round mags is a big step for them.

Links