Misfiring Marlin 60

This is a discussion on Misfiring Marlin 60 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First of all, I must say to the administrator, I just joined and read the policies and appreciate your family friendly rules! Getting to the ...

Thread: Misfiring Marlin 60

Misfiring Marlin 60

First of all, I must say to the administrator, I just joined and read the policies and appreciate your family friendly rules!

Getting to the point, I received a Marlin Model 60 as my first firearm under Dad's supervision, so it holds a lot of personal value and quite a few memories. Recently, it has developed a bad misfire--about every 3-4 shots. I've taken the action completely down for careful cleaning. No help. The next thing I'm considering as a corrective action is replacing the hammer spring, but I thought I'd put it up for discussion first.

It has been a great plinker and an accurate squirrel gun and would likr to eventually pass it down to one of my boys.
    Last edited by RJMech; February 12th, 2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: to add my modified signature.

2. Remove Ads

Does it seem like the firing pin isn't hitting the primer hard enough?

Take a look at the primer of a round that didn't fire - is it dimpled?
    If you manually cock the hammer and try the cartridge again, will it fire the second time?

If so, your idea on replacing the spring(s) is probably the next step.

Let us know.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

In response to your question, I've always felt that the primer wasn't dimpled as much as it should be. I'll change the spring and let you know.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

It has been several years since I played with one of these, but here is a thought. IIRC the firing pin rides in a slot in the bolt and is retained by a roll pin. The firing pin is basically a bar with a hump on one edge that has an oval shaped slot that the pin rides in. If you have a pin punch I would remove the firing pin and check for any build up in the channel in the bolt and also in that retaining pin slot in the firing pin.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have a model 59 it is the lever action. I got it from my Dad. it has the same problem. If you find a fix let us know.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have one too.It's one of my favorites.When's the last time you cleaned it?
    Might want to try different ammo?My ruger 10/22 was doing the same thing and all I did was give it a good cleaning and it went away.

The OP mentioned that he completely tore down the gun.....I am willing to bet that he cleaned it when he did that.
    I would suggest a new firing pin and spring.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms

If you go here and look at the marlin forum I bet the answer is there if not post the same question there, they are a wealth of info when it comes to 22 rimfire.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Assistant Administrator
    My 60 does get a huge crud build up and I do tear it down for a good clean.

One thing I was aware of more than once was - a build up of crud within the extractor relief slots either side of the chamber - which (my theory) stopped the bolt short by maybe just a thou or two - enough to give a light strike.

One other thing - unlikely but needs covered ... is the chamber face pitted from pin impact thru excessive dry firing? If it were then this too could comprize full distortion of a round's rim to get reliable ignition.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    One other thought... have you tried different ammo? If all the misfires have been with the same lot of ammo, it is possible you got a batch with exceptionally thick metal around the priming compound, or a batch with bad priming mix.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Well, I'll try to clear out some of these helpful questions. Thanks to all of you for your comments and ideas. First of all, I did give it a very careful cleaning when taking it down. I will take the opportunity to recommend extreme care when taking the action group apart. The springs have a bad habit of launching into the wild blue yonder and performing a disappearing act!

That being said, I did try several brands and grades of ammunition with similar results.

I haven't removed the roller and firing pin--don't have a small enough punch to drive the pin out--I did, though, clean around it the best I could.

No answer on the extractor slots or the chamber face. I will perform an detailed visual insp. when I replace the hammer spring and/or firing pin.

It might be a few weeks before I can get to this, but if I can find anything out, I'll keep y'all informed! Again, thank you all for your ideas. Carry wherever legal and protect your own!

Regards,
    RD
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I have an old Marlin model 75C, basically a shorter version of the model 60. I know it is fussy with what I feed it. I know for a fact it loves to be fed CCI Mini Mags.

Links