The S&W appreciation trip!

This is a discussion on The S&W appreciation trip! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a lover of Smiths - gotta admit! I ''teethed'' on wheel guns way back and still love them. My overall fave's are the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The S&W appreciation trip!

Assistant Administrator

The S&W appreciation trip!

I am a lover of Smiths - gotta admit! I ''teethed'' on wheel guns way back and still love them.

My overall fave's are the magnificent ''N'' frames - large, strong and beautiful in their earlier incarnations, when blue meant deep luster and near black.

I do not have some of the early Smiths I'd like - too rare and or expensive but - I do have a few specimens I really treasure. One is the M-27-2 in 5" - which I was lucky to find, as it replaced the one I bought back in 1980 or so in UK and which was ''taken'' by the UK Gov in '97. The 5" is to me the archetypal .357 N frame - not too short, not too long - for me perfect proportions.

I do tho also like long tubes and when early last year at a gun show I found an 8 3/8" M27-2 I weakened and bought it - Bonnie was with me then and even encouraged me - wow - had to buy!!

I found too a pre K-22 from a member on THR - this is a 5 screw, and tho not absolutely perfect is a treat to own.

My other Smith Revo's are (sadly in a sense) new versions - and I hate that stoopid spider hole on left side. However, the M25-6 and M629-6 are both fine guns and I enjoy them.

Finally - I have once more filled the gap with a M-686 - I had an early one in UK - that too ''went'' - thx tho to finding one from Bob (acparmed) I once more have an early 686 - and one to which I could add my original barrel weight (made by self - lathe and much hand work!) - to help for PPC.

Time for some pics to show what I mean

sid1 likes this.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I'm another Smith and Wesson addict. It's the only brand I own more than one product of, and that should tell you something especially in such a small collection.

Oh man to have a big fat bank book so you could scoop up all those beautiful old Smiths... oh well it's not to be. I have certain gun goals, one of which was to own some kind of Colt revolver, which I accomplished already, and another one of which is to own a "real" Smith and Wesson... something like that beautiful Model 27 or maybe a Model 19 or an old K 38 Combat Masterpiece... I also want a 696, a 681, a 642-1, a 60, a model 21... dang I need to stop.

Seriously if you were just stacked and wanted some good hard investments, S&W revolvers would be worth your while. They hold their value pretty well and eventually it'll be worth more. Consider the 696's made in the 90s going for $600-$800 on auction sites now...

But gun wise, I admit this is one time my preference is probably not a rational one. But dang it just feels right to pick up one of those wheelguns. Feels like it's part of you that's been missing for a long time.

Edit: Is that a 686 no dash? Cool...

Assistant Administrator
    Yep Euc - that 686 - tho well used (sorry Bob but heck man - you did burn some hot .357's LOL!).... is a dash nothing! Just like my original one. Sweet D/A and a S/A that is - hmmm, what shall I say - ''sensitive''

Bob had it tweaked and it was IIRC a hunting revo - S/A breaks at about 1.5 pounds <eek> - very delicate but nice. I shoot this with just 38 spl target loads and all D/A but the S/A is well - shall we say - ''interesting''!

I was so, so pleased to have all but ''replaced'' the old friend I lost to the <puke> UK Gov in '97!
    Chris - P95

Smith and Wesson appreciation will also teach you the differences between J,K,L,N, and X frames, pinned and recessed vs. non pinned and non recessed, fixed sights vs. red ramp and white outline sights, .265" service hammers vs. .500" target hammers, round butts, square butts, 3 screw frames, 5 screw frames, long action, short action, diamond grips, non diamond grips, service grips, "Coke bottle" grips, original style cylinder stops, enhanced package or new style cylinder stops, and why a 686 like yours is sooo much cooler than a 686-2 like mine.

And that's just scratching the surface...

1952 - 2006
    I'm glad that you are enjoying the 686.
    Yes I did burn some rather 'warm' 357's through it, probably a thousand or so, (21.0 gr of 296 over a 125gr XTP, or 19.0 over a 160grJSP. If I recall I told you about that. Most of what I fired through it were 38SPL light loads in a 357 case. (probably about 4 or 5000 rounds).

Oh, I'm glad you 'like' the SA trigger. It IS downright 'Ghostly'.
    But it does make for an accurate long distance shot.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Assistant Administrator
    Your 'old friend' Bob - is certainly in very friendly and covetous hands.

Rest easy
    Chris - P95

Not much of a smith wheeie fan come to think of it after my 1911sc issue not much of a auto fan but if i could find a Model 27 i would nab one up in a heartbeat..

Those are soem fine looking pieces there Chris i envy your collection

Lead Moderator
    Nice collection! The only Smith I had was a Model 60 stainless. It was real nice. Unfortunatly I "lost" it in a house robbery about 20 years ago.

My wife took a shooting class early this year (her first) and came home and decided that she liked wheel guns better! Might have to get her one.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Nothing feels betting in the hand than a 4" K frame, except maybe a 3" K frame. It's a close call.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks - how could I have forgotten!! I didn't include my M19-3 - I guess I was almost on an ''N'' frame trip and then CE's post reminded me!.

Not a 3 or 4" Lee, which I sure would like, but this 6" ''became available'' (another way of saying - it called me! ) ...... but it is a nice piece.

Last edited by P95Carry; September 2nd, 2005 at 07:26 PM.
    Chris - P95

hehehe Not all of mine are 4"ers either:

The above is my K38.

The rest of these pics aren't that great, but I'll post them anyway.

4" square butt model 13 with Safariland CompIII loader and custom made loader carrier

4" model 64 square butt sporting Butler Creek boot grips modeled after Craig Spegel boot grips. The 4" 13 now wears a set as well.

The 3" round butt 13 on the bottom is now mine. I bought it from the owner of the other two revolvers in the pic (a member at Shooters' Legacy). It now wears a set of Hogue Bantam grips to better suit my wife.
    sid1 likes this.
    Shooters' Legacy

Assistant Administrator
    Lee - nice indeed, thx for posting those.

So I am not alone in the longer tube division after all
    Chris - P95

Smile

I too, have a love affair with S&W revolvers.

No collection or collector pieces tho, as all of my guns are used, carried, and aquire 'beauty marks' as their life and mine go on day to day.

My L frame 296 and 696 both get carried a good bit, the 296 is in a JIT crossdraw as I post. An N frame TRS21 with modifications is carried on right hip..stoked with a custom loaded 180 gr JHP at 1200+FPS. 296 has New style ST from Winchester, and 696 when carried usually has CBs excellent 165grJHP loaded. The 642 rides in a pocket holster filled with CB DPX+P.

Often carry a 329 when back bothers me, and love my 629-4 Mountain Gun..but may turn it into a fixed sight revolver at some point. The sights seem to eat cover garments. 629 is no longer stock with hammer spur gone, and trigger smooth. Same work on the TRS21. I have not shot an S&W single action in years.

Would like to aquire a 38/44 but prices are going out of my price range.

Long barrels are not my thing except for a 686 6"set up for action pistol, and a plinking 48 4 screw with 8 3/8" barrel. Usually shoot it with WRF...gun seems very accurate with the lead copper clad bullet.
    Last edited by KC135; September 2nd, 2005 at 09:33 PM.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Drool Drool

My S&W affinty extends to bottom feeders as well. I have a 4006 (my old duty weapon that I bought when the department traded for new 4006s) and a 4013 (a former departmental weapon that was never issued) and a 422.

As for revolvers, I also own a 642 that I don't have any pics of as of yet. I forgot this pic of my father's old M&P that has been altered somewhat:

Shooters' Legacy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links