Had a gun pointed at me a couple of days ago.

This is a discussion on Had a gun pointed at me a couple of days ago. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This happened to me and a couple of friends a few days ago. We went to shoot a couple of rounds at a local range ...

Thread: Had a gun pointed at me a couple of days ago.

Formerly OKC, OK; Currently Karlsruhe, Germany

Had a gun pointed at me a couple of days ago.

This happened to me and a couple of friends a few days ago. We went to shoot a couple of rounds at a local range (H&H, just in case someone knows). It was fun, as always

Anyway, there were a couple of guys 2 lanes to the left. Maybe 5 of them shooting one gun, so i assume they did not have a lot of experience using firearms. At one time, one of them had some brass ejecting into his direction and it went right into his collar. Now, i know, it kinda hurts a little bit, it happened to me before.

What happened next, made me feel real... ! That clown started jumping around (literally), turning around 180 degrees, laughing and screaming, reaching for the brass into his shirt, the gun in the other hand (and since he just fired it and the slide was not locked back, i am pretty sure that it had one in the pipe), swiping the gun at everybody in the range.

Before i could react, he put the gun away. I was pretty much stunned and thought informing the range officer, but they started packing up anyway, so i thought "what the heck" and didn't do anything. Now, thinking about it, i probably should have, though.

Some people just don't use their brain...
    Regards, Mike

The german american, now living in Germany, but surely missing home!

2. Remove Ads

You should have said something. Safe handling of a firearm is a responsibility that we must uphold to the highest. They sure were clowns.
    Smith and Wesson SW40VE -SOLD
    XD9 4'' -Current
    Kimber Ultra Carry II- coming

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Yeah, you probably should have... politely. Maybe now you will know what to say to the next person who does this to you.

I would have said something to them to hopefully prevent a future incident with a less fortunate outcome. It could have really been bad.

Yikes. Maybe never go there again if its such a popular hangout for morons.

Austin

I think you should have said something to these guys. Being new bees they may not understand the rules to gun safety. I would have approached them in a nice way an explained just what they did wrong.
    Jack dog

I had an unfortunate lesson in why sunglasses are not safety glasses once, my shooting partner dropped a hot .45 right into the frame, got stuck of course I squinted and that may have saved my vision but it left a really nasty burn on my eyelid/lower eyesocket, Of course I didnt yell cease fire, I yelled some other nasty four letter words, he had no clue what had happened but of course he stopped shooting after he saw I set my weapon down, (no I did not clear it) I was in too big a hurry to pry my sorry glasses off, but at least I remembered to keep the weapon pointed down range, which suprised me, and my friend. The other half of the firing line just looked down towards us and kept shooting, I cleared my weapon, mumbled some rather nasty things about the range we were at forcing people to shoot so close, (no excuse for my sorry sunglasses instead of shooting glasses) my buddy blew it off kept shooting and after sulking for about 2 minutes I figured since I drove 2 hours to shoot with him at this range I was not going to let a little range wound stop me.

I guess my point is that people at firing ranges should dress appropriately, but even when your dressed right things happen, and if safety is ingrained in your thoughts your body will do what it should. If you see unsafe behavior call a cease fire immediately, then either notify the range officer/manager at places that dont post active safety officers you can try to explain the infraction to the offender but my experience has been that most people have this "I know what im doing attitude" bail out from the range, and demand a refund if you still feel unsafe around folks.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I was on the rifle range for qual last year. We were doing the "combat positions" course of fire. At the end, we were shooting on burst. Lots of people on line...lots of brass flying everywhere. One goes down somebody's collar. He throws his weapon, fully loaded and on burst, in front of him on the ground. He got in a LOT of trouble
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You run into people like that occasionally. It sounds like they were very immature as well as inexperienced

Glad everything turned out ok. I would have reported too.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I'd sure say something, though I guess it could depend on the range staff. I like the folks at the indoor range where I shoot.

A week or so ago, my g/f and I were shooting. On the lane next to us there was another couple. Neither of them was much of a shooter. They had some sort of 9mm auto, as I recall. Now, the guy had terrible technique and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but he was tall and had big hands, so the gun was at least more or less under control.

The problem was that he was attempting to show the girl his same lousy technique, and in her hands it meant she could barely hold on to the gun when she fired. (Imagine the support hand reaching all the around the front of the trigger guard, under the dist cover, so her fingers were well out towards the muzzle and she was essentially shooting one-handed with ****-poor recoil control.)

I saw her just about have the gun fly out of her hands. My g/f and I finished and left. At checkout, I told the guy at the counter about this. As we are ready to leave, the guy from the next lane comes out to report a jam.

Well, the employee grabs eyes and ears and says he'll take care of it. As he is getting his stuff, he says to the guy, "So, how is she shooting?" Guy mumbles something. Employee says, "Well, I looked in through the glass and it seems like she might be having a little difficulty controlling that gun. I can give you guys some pointers."

So, anyway, I like the fact that he took my concern seriously, and managed to deal with the other customer in such a way that I wasn't involved in the resolution ("Yeah, that guy over there says your girlfriend is a freakin' menace!" ) I have no qualms letting them know if I see something unsafe.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    I've been to H&H, nice range. To bad some idiots ruined your shooting, but luckily nothing serious happened.

novice shooters and shooters who think they are safe but are really unsafe are both scary folks to have around you. when I get to the range and it is crowded, i spend the extra time looking around who is to the left and right of me. If I see any unsafe practices, then i would leave. I prefer not get ventilated when folks flag me with their loaded weapons. fortunately, I tend to go at hours that there are only typically me and another shooter in the lane. stay safe folks.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

This is how people get badly injured or worse...I would definitely said something...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links