Gun show tomorrow and my limits

This is a discussion on Gun show tomorrow and my limits within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I actually took a vacation day for tomorrow's gun show here locally. I hope it will be worth it and I think it might, ...

Thread: Gun show tomorrow and my limits

Gun show tomorrow and my limits

Well, I actually took a vacation day for tomorrow's gun show here locally. I hope it will be worth it and I think it might, because this one is better than the ones they have up north of here. My list has grown a bit over the most wanted G19 which I have a cap of $450. However--I'm not ruling out the possibility of running into the same guy who had SIG CPO pistols with a nice P220 Equinox model 45 the last time I went--my cap on that-$525. Backup options include something on the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 shotguns in HD configuration in the neighborhood of not to exceed $275. If I cannot come away with any of those, I'll relinquish a total of no more than $200 in ammo/accessories. I do believe this might very well be the gun show of the year for me as the political climate is increasingly uncertain, the truck is needing new tires, the car needs a new front axle, I can't wait for my 'economic stimulus' check, I haven't done my taxes yet, the dog needs a trip to the vet's this month, my club range membership is due next month ($80), animal feed for the next two weeks--$50. Food? Food is like sleep to me, your body will eventually shut down and warn you of impending doom. Gas money for the week? Maybe $60 to get me to work and back after I spend the money. I've alloted $800 toward the cause tomorrow, and have this feeling I'll be retaining most of it as I like my savings that the bank don't have. We'll see if anyone wants to deal tomorrow, or has remain stuck up about their prices from the past. A buyer's market should be a seller's market this time, and I'm depending on it. If they don't want to sell---they'll be packing it up and going home with it. Of all the gun shows I've been to it's always a toss up for going on Saturday, or Sunday. Saturdays are the opening day and vendors are feeling out the public as to what they will pay. Sunday-most know they will be packing up what they don't sell. BTW-I'm one of those who always chooses the slowest line at the drive up window too--never fails. Give me your thoughts about it.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Talking

Get the most important thing taken care of first. Buy yourself a gun.

"the truck is needing new tires, the car needs a new front axle, I can't wait for my 'economic stimulus' check, I haven't done my taxes yet, the dog needs a trip to the vet's this month, my club range membership is due next month ($80), animal feed for the next two weeks--$50. Food? Food is like sleep to me, your body will eventually shut down and warn you of impending doom. Gas money for the week? Maybe $60 to get me to work and back after I spend the money."

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Gunshow?...........Limits?.............Those two words should not be spoken in the same sentence.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

"A man's got to know his limitations . . . " Harry Callahan.

It's always good to have a plan, but at the same time allow for that serendipitous find. One time last year I went to the show convinced I was going to spend around $500 on a Sprinfield GI 1911. Came home with an original new-in-box Uzi for $1200. Went another time with an absolute plan to get a Smith J-Frame. Found a new-in-box Colt Detective Special. You just never know.

One thing I always do (when I have a plan) is to check out online prices and carry my little notebook with me as a reference. Gives a little more confidence when bargaining.

I love gun shows!!!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Isn't gun purchases more important than food, air, water, shelter, etc?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I've been to a couple of gun shows, but the most recent one was WALL TO WALL people. I don't consider myself an expert on gun shows, so I put it to y'all. Is there a particular time that is best to go if you want a bit of elbow room? I brought my family to the last one, and wife told me after we were out the door that some guy was giving her the hairy eyeball and that another guy made some rude comments about my shoes (they were a tad dirty) that I didn't hear. How did he even see my shoes with all the people? Heck, I have to wear polished wingtips five days a week; I've got to let my hair down sometimes. Next time I'll go alone.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I dont attend too many gun shows, maybe one a year or less.

Not too fond of greasy hamburgers,jerky made from "mystery meat" , G.I. surplus stuff , warm soft drinks,crowds,kids misbehaving,and most of all some joker that insults my intelligence by trying to sell me a POS gun for 4 times its real value.

I suggest you hang on to your money and find a private seller of maybe better yet, take care of your responsibilities at home---then--buy a decent gun.

My favorite is the Tulsa gun show. Takes 2 days to see it right but boy can a guy spend a lot of money there. The only thing that saves me is that it is that it's on the opposite side of the state and hard to make a one day trip there. You name it they have got it there.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Since it's a LOCAL gun show, I'd go on BOTH Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday - mostly scouting the possibilities, but if you find a deal you can't pass up, go for it.

Sunday - negotiate for good deals on items that seemed a bit too high-priced the day before......and buy ammo, which might have dropped in price, especially in the last hour or two before closing.

I make all my best deals, both buying and selling, outside the gate as folks are heading in before they get to the thieving pawn shop guys.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Well, the closest I came to buying a firearm was a Rock Island compact carry. This dude was as heavy as a full size 1911 ought to be and probably a decent buy at $450. Saw three P220's 45's but $600--over my range and nobody was bargaining today. One used G36 with one mag for $475 which wasn't bad IMO, and if it would have had nite sites-I might have done this, but still on the hunt for that elusive G19 3rd gen. I opened the wallet for a new Lee perfect powder measure set with chart, one weaver mount green laser with remote pressure pad switch, one A-2 rear sight assembly for my flat top Bushmaster, and a remote pressure pad switch for my M3 and M6 tac lights/laser. Not really disappointed. Saved a few bucks on admission with coupons I printed off the internet. There's another show next weekend 60 miles from here. I did see one ad in the local paper today and called about it---guy was selling a G22 3rd gen for $400. I really don't need another one but that is a good price. Local pawn shop has a G23 for $425 which isn't bad either, but again---I don't need three in the 40 cal. I did stop at WallyWorld on the way home just to buy a 100 round box of Winchester 9mm for $14.88 though! Life goes on.

Links