No guns or ammo in Baton Rouge, La - Page 2

No guns or ammo in Baton Rouge, La

This is a discussion on No guns or ammo in Baton Rouge, La within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by firefighter4884 Until I have my own place, stockpiling ammo is not really an option for me ;( I could be wrong, but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No guns or ammo in Baton Rouge, La

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    Until I have my own place, stockpiling ammo is not really an option for me ;(
    I could be wrong, but I'd like to think that in a situation like we have going on in the Golf Coast a couple hundred rounds per gun would be be enough to get you through the situation.

You have to remember, you might have to carry it someplace....... And, I'd also hate to be suppling the "other guy" just because I had to leave some behind.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If your forum name is what you drive,first of all, let me say that I envy you. That said,welcome to the fray. Your inputs are most welcome. Just remember that some of us are almost never wrong. Sometimes that, almost,kinda,includes me. But not always. Oh well,most welcome to the forums.----------P.S Just wait 'til I pick up my new GT500.-----

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman
    I can't imagine I might need more than the 90 7.62x54R I have stashed fr the Mosin - how fast can you reload a bolt action carbine?
    Remember that in extended civil calamity, you may have more than one engagement with more than one hostile over more than one occasion.

It's not about how fast you reload/shoot but rather how many potential threats you're going to face.

I'd rather not have to worry about "do I have enough ammo?" in addition to everything else going down at that point myself.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

One other thing I should add is the fact that in most smaller towns (and even in larger cities, I suspect), there is very little actual ammunition on hand at gun shops when confronted with an emergency. 50k rounds will be sold to the first 50 customers in many cases, and that's if the store has that many on hand.

Many don't.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I will be stocking up very soon, and I'm going to get on the stick and learn how to reload. I've bought the presses and such. I just haven't taken the time to figure it all out.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I was Rolling some Ammo tonight Just waiting for the brass to tumble to load more im pretty well set on 45,9mm,44,38,357 ,223 but i need to buy some more bulk Nato ammo for the Cetme the Fluted chamber isnt to nice to brass so no reloading for it ..

Assistant Administrator
    Lee - reloading is well worth taking up. if you have the gear - stock up a bit on the consumables.... then at least you'll have the potential for generating quite large amounts of ammo.

If experience is lacking then hey - with a few reload books you'd have enough info to make up almost anything, even if for safety' sake, sub max.

If you can find another guy who already does it - go that way - watch and learn - it won't take long. If you were near enough to me I'd invite you along for a crash course - be happy to do that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree w/ P95 in that having a friend/buddy actually show you and help you along the way through the learning process is the way to go. It's not rocket science--but-- there are certin little things that you can do to cut corners,saveyourself money,and save yourself a bunch of time and still turn out accurate,high quality,and very reliable ammo. And the ammo will be to YOUR specs. With your bullet and your velocity. Personally,I do not reload any of my "survival" rds. (I do reload for 13 different hunting/compitition rds.) I find that the ammo(high quality ammo) is too easy and cheap to buy. Especially if you start early and really do some lookin. Nowadays you can buy the same ammo that our troops are using overseas. Both in .223 and 7.62X51. My 7.62X39 ammo I found several years ago for a "real good deal" and I picked up a grunch. I have fired 2K rds. from my AK and not a single FTF or FTE. I would also suggest that for your survival ammo, use primarily FMJ but have some Tracer and API in the stockpile. Also,as I have said before,ammo is cheap,you can't have too much.---------

My neighbors know I am armed - kinda hard to hide it going to work in uniform. 90% of my neighbors are WWII or Korea era citizens...I would be quite surprised if this little park is a bit better armed than some might imagine.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a shooting buddy that is going to help me. I have gone over to his place once for a reloading session.

my equipment:

Lee single stage with universal decapping die
    Lee 3 hole turret press with heads for each caliber I will reload
    Lee hand priming tool with complete shell holder kit

I'll use the single stage to decap and such, the priming tool to prime, and I'll have a head for the 3 hole press for each of the three handgun rounds I'll be loading. For rifle rounds, I'm going to stock up on milsurp ammo in sealed cases. I'll have to buy a bunch of shotgun ammo to keep on hand and rotate it out.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds good Lee - that will I reckon help you get into gear real quick.

I have all (mostly) Lee stuff and in fact - you could well find that with a bit of practice on the turret and using auto-indexing, the decap and prime during first, sizing stage, will be a breeze.

Sorta keeps a good flow going and saves it being a separate op'. Enjoy!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have Lee,Redding,Hornady, RCBS and MEC. I would reccomend any of it. Why the different brands is that over the years I have moved into allot of different calibers and guages. Also after the initial setup have accquired a powder thrower,digital scales/powder trickler,and some of the other things that have come out from various manufacturers. I have found that I like one thing a little bit over another but all the above brands,to me,is high quality reloading gear.---------Forgot,also have some Dillon Mfg.---------

I am currently living almost on top of the New Madrid fault, site of the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in N America. I have 90 acres on the top of a ridge, only 1 road comes across the ridge and I live at the top on one end, plenty of deer and turkey, 5 acre lake (ridge top pure rain water in case the well goes dry) full of fish plus a generator that runs off the PTO of my little John Deere tractor and a 500 gallon tank of diesel I keep at least ¾ full, a freezer full of venison, turkey, a couple antelope etc and a pantry in the basement of caned goods that should last the wife and I several months and 3 cases of MREs mostly used for hunting season but handy to keep around.

I also have a few AKs with 5 cases of ammo, each with 2 “sardine cans” mostly of the good steel core Chinese ammo, plus about half that for the ARs;1,000 rounds of 8mm armor piercing for the FN49,10 boxes of 100 round white box ammo in those “food saver” vacuum bags for the .45s and 9mms . The 2 other guys and I on this end of the road will seal off our end of the ridge and I know the 2 guys at the other end and nothing is coming past them either. There are 10 families up here on the ridge, this is the sticks of Missouri, we ain’t sheeple, we will survive.

I completely agree with AZG23

If others aren't ready to fend for themselves why all the sudden does it become YOUR responsibility? Simply because you had the foresight to prepare, have food, water, medical supplies, communications gear etc AND the means to defend it and yourself? How typically sad..."oh someone come and do for me" instead of "not to worry, I am prepared"

A firearm is simply another necessary tool of preparedness. How much better would the local situation be if a handful of folks all of them with supplies and weapons handy banded together? Strength in numbers, shared duties (after all you have to sleep at some point) and shared experience which leads to tighter social bonds which can be a very good thing.

Preparedness isn't a destination, it is a way of life. Prepare, plan and train.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    did the Governor do it?
    Here in Fla when the Gov declares an emergency all stores have to crease the sale of Guns and Ammo. I'ts automatic even if some stores don't pay attention.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links