No guns or ammo in Baton Rouge, La

This is a discussion on No guns or ammo in Baton Rouge, La within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been lurking on this board for a while and finally decided I had to speak up. First off let me say that I think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No guns or ammo in Baton Rouge, La

No guns or ammo in Baton Rouge, La

I've been lurking on this board for a while and finally decided I had to speak up. First off let me say that I think there is a great group of people here with a lot of knowledge.

After the events in New Orleans and the flood of refugees coming into Baton Rouge some stores decided to save us from ourselves. Academy Sports and the local Wal-Marts have decided to take all guns and ammo from the shelves.

I was wanting to do some shooting and was looking for some more target ammo. The workers at both stores told me that they didn't know when they'll start selling again. They had NOTHING not even .22's or bird shot. I asked if they would carry anything soon, since squirrel season opens in 4 wks. They did not know.

Surprisingly they were still selling kitchen knives and baseball bats

I went to my local gun store and they were packed! I was told that just a few days ago they had to close their doors and only allow a few people in at a time. There's been an increase in crime around here in the last week, but the local government is trying to keep it quiet.

Now my friends are asking me, their "gun nut" friend for help. Funny how that worked out.

I just wanted to let some people know what these stores are doing. Maybe give you something to consider next time you want to make a purchase.

2. Remove Ads

Sad situation and a knee jerk reaction from wally mart which there know for hope things get better for ya

VIP Member
    I think the reaction came out of the looting of one of their stores. I saw a guy on TV coming out with a looted shotgun. Overreacting? Yep.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You(I) can never,ever,have too much ammo on hand. There's a thread here somewhere ref. how much ammo these kind folks have on hand. Take a look and the next time that you buy,or reload,ammo you wont feel so paranoid. Even for my shotguns I have hundreds of rds. Hell,a couple of years ago I broke down and sold some 7.62X39 to a buddy of mine. He's a LEO that carries a AK in the trunk of his crusier. Now I only have 3000 rds.(or so) I live on the Gulf Coast and I'm as ready as I can be for the tough times ahead.---------

I can't imagine I might need more than the 90 7.62x54R I have stashed fr the Mosin - how fast can you reload a bolt action carbine? OK, so I do have another 100 stashed away, too, but 300 for the SKS and 700-900, (can't remember, counting the reloads) for the 9mms might be enough for a while.....then again, maybe snagging a few more boxes of all three couldn't hurt....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Assistant Administrator
    SVT - welcome to you

Sounds like Wally World getting over paranoid. I can see that no one wants the scumbags getting hold of extra guns but OTOH there is every need for legit folks to need - ammo of course too.

Any ''friends'' being interested in you this late in the day makes it more than obvious the solution was something they had at hand for months or years prior to all this. It is everyone's choice, to go get a gun (or several) and yet so many have this wierd ''can't happen to me'' approach - until something DOES happen.

Do keep us appraised of any extra news from down your way.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If I ever found myself in the situation of not having enough ammo on hand (not likely) I would drive until I found some. I also think I wouldnt be doing any target shooting until everything around me calmed down. Keeping a stash of ammo just in case is more important than an hours worth of training. I also know my neighbors well and what type of guns the ones who own do have...and have more than enough if he doesnt...Id rather have a friend than a foe if you know what I mean. I have food and water for my family for about 3-4 months so that breaks down to enough for some of those in my neighborhood/cul de sac for several days.

As far as the friends asking now...before Id give ANY help to them in regards to firearms, etc....I would make sure you preface it with:

At any time, any place something can happen to you and your family...are you ready for that..?? Take a good hard look at NO and ask yourself..?? Are you ready..?? Not just survival...but to defend yourselves and your family. The worst in people come out when they get desperate. You have to be ready for it. And anyone can snap at any time...look at the WalMart shootings here in AZ. You never know, and should take the responsibility to cover your own. If not...dont come cryin when TSHTF. If you make them think long and hard about it...you can turn another sheeple into a real American.

Now drive to Texas and get a stash of AMMO!! LOL!
    Brad B.

I have enough rifle, pistol and shotgun ammo to hold me over for a while (couple hundred of each). Plus I can always order online if I feel I need more. If the stores were worried about a robbery or looting they could have put their inventory in safes. Academy sports has two large safes behind the counter but they were open and empty.

I always wondered that if the real SHTF would you really want your "friends" to know just how many guns and how much ammo,food,water,gas,etc.,etc.,you really had. I know,I know,this might be a little paranoid but something to ponder.--------

Rssz I think its a good point i dont let my neighbors know i have any guns. At least i dont advertize i have any one is a little old lady the other one has a wild daughter.

Sure some of the guns at work ask me my opinion before they buy but only the ones i am true friends with have seen my guns so thats one person at work ..

Also the one i told if SHTF Come on down with the wife and kids to Bud's Firearms Emporeum 7 shooters is better than 2

DC Founder
    Thanks for posting, SVTCobra. Like others I think it is an over-reaction on the part of Wal-Mart and Academy. Remember, the decision to stop those sales probably came from management that are in other states. They don't know what is going on in Louisiana, except for what is shown on TV. I think I would make the local Manager aware of how I felt and possibly write the home office about it. It seems a little ridiculous to be doing that up in Baton Rouge.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Rember when they yanked handguns off the shelf to at least here they yanked them off the shelf after some one killed them self with one Like its the gun's fault

Let me kick out this for discussion. I also live in the NW Fl. SInce last Sept. we have had three major hurricanes and two tropical storms. The huirricans have all been in the Cat. 3, 4, or 5 range. One positive side of hurricanes over a tornado is that one has a few days warning to decide what action he/she wants to take - stay or leave the area. Until Ivan, most people in this area stayed and many still do. I lost my entire house to Ivan with only the slab remaining like so many others in our area. Those of you who live in tornado prone sections of the great country could experience a same type of loss but with little or no advance warning.

Like many of you, I had a fair stock of guns, rifles, ammo in my house. However, it makes little difference on what or how much you had before the event if you have no access to them after the storm.

OK, I'm off my soap box. However, these events have made me to rethink post storm personnel serurity. So my question for decussion for those of you who feel fully prepared now - should you have to move quickly and may not have access to your stash after the tornado, flood, or whatever, which of your weapons would you take with you, how much ammo can you carry and what do you think your post storm strategies for personnal protection would be when all around you is gone or damaged.

Respectifully submitted.

Most all of my"stuff" goes in one of my three very large,very heavy safes. These three safes are bolted together.I know that this is not a guarantee but it is the best that I can do. I figure that if anything at all remains on my foundation after the storm,the safes will still be there.----------

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Trader,

I'm a college student, and used to moving back and forth. My whole life will fit into my car. Granted, I don't have a collection of firearms (unless two is a collection) and certainly not enough ammo to really cover my back in a SHTF situation, but I could pack and move everything I own out of my house / room in less than a day (trust me, I've done it :) )

Until I have my own place, stockpiling ammo is not really an option for me ;(
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links