Setting a rig up for IDPA questions

This is a discussion on Setting a rig up for IDPA questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've taken an interest in trying some IDPA shooting at my local shooting range. I'm in the market for a 1911-format .45 but haven't ...

Thread: Setting a rig up for IDPA questions

Question Setting a rig up for IDPA questions

So I've taken an interest in trying some IDPA shooting at my local shooting range.

I'm in the market for a 1911-format .45 but haven't found one (in the price range) yet. I'll probably just wait a couple more paychecks and get a new Springfield Loaded.

I do have a nice S&W .38 Special revolver with a 6" barrel, and I could compete with it (in the revolver class) just to get a feel for IDPA.

The next session is 3 weeks from today. I was wondering what most people do to a revolver to "tune" it for competition. Mine is currently stock except for some Pachmar rubber "combat" grips with finger grooves.

I'm thinking of tuning the trigger a bit lighter - I assume I can buy replacement springs to do this?

I'm also wondering what grips will be optimal for speed-shooting but I'm guessing the answer here is "try a few". Any recommendations?

Finally, do you think it's worth it to bother "setting up" my S&W if I'm going to be buying a .45 within a few months?

Thanks for the input.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

2. Remove Ads

I haven't done either, but it sounds like you're talking about IPSC....I thought IDPA was supposed to use your carry gun/rig and help you practice. If this is the case I'd think sticking with your carry gun would make the most sense... Some smooth wooden grips should help with speed shooting your revolver - at least that's been my experience with them. Painting your front site should help with speed also.

Austin

VIP Member
    Your revolver is not legal for IDPA. Sorry!

As per the Rule Book:
    Barrel length of 4.2” or less (as measured from the front of the cylinder).
    When you mention a "Springfield Loaded" what does that mean?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The Loaded is a particular model that Springfield produces.

Springfield Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Your revolver is not legal for IDPA. Sorry!

When you mention a "Springfield Loaded" what does that mean?
    Dang! I guess I'll have to wait a couple of paychecks to get into it.

Thanks for the info! I should have read the rules more throughly myself; I was just going off what someone at the range told me today.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    The Loaded is a particular model that Springfield produces.

Springfield Armory
    Bingo, I'd like to find a Px9161LP model (Officer's size) but they're getting hard to find, I'd settle for a Px9161LP model (Commander size), like this one: SPG PX9142LP CHAMP TNS 45SS PKG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop

Thanks for the info, guys.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Pete - I just got a Taurus PT1911. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! it is everything advertised and then some! MSRP is $599 for the base model, slightly more for night sights and a little more than that for one with rails. It's smooth and has lots of custom work done at the factory. Take a look at it before you decide to spend more $$ and get less.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

FWIW I shoot duty grade weapons in IDPA using my exact same street carry rigging including holster and mag carrier and I don't wear or even own a IDPA stylized cover jacket. Instead I wear exactly what I walked in with and plan to walk out and around in for the remainder of the day. Be it a shirt, jacket, sweater, tank top, whatever. But never a shooting vest because I would never wear one of those outside of a fishing trip.

My kit includes...
    SigArms GSR 1911 .45 ACP (Gen 1/2 hybrid with rail)
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Loaded Target 9MM (I used this today at IDPA)
    Colt Defender 1911 .45 ACP (This is a 3.5" barrel gun and is not optimal for gaming but I'm not in IDPA to win...just to get additional trigger time with simulated stress out of my more normal training regimen)

Next on my buy list is a 4" or less revolver in .38/.357 for HD use, and it too will see duty at IDPA matches.
    Pretty much anything will work and put holes in BG simulated paper as long as it's rule book legal and is in your hand reliable.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Janq makes a great point. You will see gamers with legal yet IDPA only set ups but I shoot what I carry (or may carry) only. I do shoot with a vest because I do wear a vest everyday because I've been wearing vests since I was 17. I even shot a couple of matches with my revo and no speedloader pouches. I just kept them in my pocket.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    I have yet to shoot IDPA, but if/when I do, I'd use exactly what I carry daily; maybe add a extra magazine pouch.

Competition is the best crucible for testing out one's equipment, technique, and tactics.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    You need three mags as per regulations. If you have a 1911, you may want to bring 17 to 86 mags and choose three that might work
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Pete,

Depending on your local club, they might let you shoot the 6" revolver for a local-only match, especially when you explain that it is only until you get your other gear.

It is entirely up to you whether you choose an honest CCW rig and use the IDPA matches as genuine training or whether you want more of a competition rig. Since IDPA pretty much precludes competition-only equipment, even having both setups wouldn't be expensive.

If I want to consider it training, I use my MTAC and a normal over-garment. If I want to 'play' I use a Blackhawk CQC OWB paddle and either a very IDPA-ish vest or any sort of light jacket or fleece that covers it up.

If you want to shoot the revolver and they let you, you can just get a cheapie nylon holster for the time being, and maybe borrow some speedloaders (if you don't already have a few), and just keep them in your jacket pocket.

Good luck! I think IDPA is a ton of fun.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Moderator
    I shot my first "formal" IDPA match today, using my EDC gear. The only change was instead of one spare, I carried two (for a total of 3 mags).

I have a "gamey" kydex paddle, but I used the slower (but more true to the "shoot what ya carry paradigm) MTAC.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

My IDPA set up....

Kimber Custom Target II 5"
    3 Wilson 47D mags/ 1 Chip McCormick mag (barney mag)
    Comp-Tac Kydex paddle
    Comp-Tac Kydex Dbl Mag carrier
    sturdy leather belt (everyday wear)
    5.11 Vest or just a plain jacket
    If you are shooting in CDP (45acp 1911) you will want a forth mag (barney mag) so you can put the first round in the chamber. You MUST start the stage loaded to division compacity (CDP is 8+1) unless otherwise stated in the COF by the match director. The other exception is if you only have 7rd mags. Then you would load 7+1 unless otherwise stated by the MD

My rig is nothing special or expensive but it woks GREAT. Dont waste your money on Fobus brand or any other injection molded rigs. They grap the gun and are very hard to draw from. I would suggest Kydex or leather but kydex is much faster to draw from.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Links