S&W Model 59

This is a discussion on S&W Model 59 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a Model 59 at an estate sale today. I've owned several S&W revolvers but never one of their semi's. Looking for feedback ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 59

S&W Model 59

I picked up a Model 59 at an estate sale today. I've owned several S&W revolvers but never one of their semi's.

Looking for feedback on the positives and negatives. Gun appears to be in good shape, but I haven't fired it yet.

By the way, I gave $120 for it.

Thanks
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpsVet View Post
    I picked up a Model 59 at an estate sale today. I've owned several S&W revolvers but never one of their semi's.

Looking for feedback on the positives and negatives. Gun appears to be in good shape, but I haven't fired it yet.

By the way, I gave $120 for it.

Thanks
    I don't have one, but have heard about them for years...never in my experience anything unfavorable, FWIW. $120? I think you did just fine!

Dang, I'll give you $150 for it right now. I've seen them for $300 at a local gun shop (fair condition) and $450 at Cabella's (good condition).

I've been meaning to post a thread just like this for quite some time but wanted to include a picture... and never got around to taking a picture.

I carry a 59, at least until I purchase an XD-45c. Mine has been shot less than 1000 times and has been rock solid, except for when I accidentally released the mag when firing.

I found 17-round Mec-Gar mags from Midway that fit flush with the gun except for a small 1/8" baseplate (part number MGSW5917N) for around $25.

The DA first shot trigger is a long pull, but the followup SA trigger is a hair trigger--when my front sight lines up where I want it, all I have to do is think about pulling the trigger and the round is gone. Very easy to be accurate with this light trigger.

I like the carrying option of decocker off and hammer half-cocked. It's still a long pull to move the hammer all the way back and then release, and there is no lever to flip before firing.

I carried my 59 tonight, and its 18 rounds without reloading do bring me comfort at times. I will never sell this gun.

Oh, I vaguely remember reading one account of a guy who bought a used 59, and it fired upon chambering a round. He sold it immediately, so I have no idea what caused that issue. Just a word of caution to be careful chambering your gun until you test it.

Model 59 followed the model 39

As I recall, the S&W model 59 is the double stack, high capacity 9mm semiauto that followed the original S&W model 39, a single stack 9mm. The guns are very similar except for the frame width.

I have a model 39 that I bought new about 1968 in a gunstore in Virginia, for about $120. I have shot the gun several times a year for the last 40 years, and it remains in nearly new condition as it sits in a safe 99% of the time. It is an excellent gun and has been reliable and accurate. I believe the model 39 was the first American made semiauto in 9mm, and they became very popular with police and civilians. The model 59 came along when the "capacity wars" started and people demanded higher capacity than the 8 round magazine in the model 39.

My model 39, shown below, has aftermarket grips made of light colored ash wood that looks almost white. The gun is quite thin, with a slide width of 0.90 inches (flat to flat), the same as a 1911. It fits in the same holster as my Kimber Pro.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I had a 59, chrome finish, paid over $300 [new] when they first arrived.Excellent gun, shot any ammo I fed it, even reloads. Good carry gun with proper holster.You did well with price you paid.

I had one when they first came out. It was the worst POS I've ever owned. I could have sent it in and probably gotten Smith to make it right, but I would never have trusted that thing again in a million years.

The lesson I learned is: don't be a beta tester unless they pay you.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The model 59 was my first handgun. Purchased in the early 70s. While it was reliable and never malfunctioned as far as feeding and extracting it was the most inaccurate firearm I've ever owned. A 10 yard group looked like a shotgun pattern and at 25 yards, you'd be lucky to hit the paper of a B-27 target. Traded it on a Colt 1911 and didn't have another 9mm for years as it spooked me off of the cartridge. My Beretta 92 changed my mind. It's a shame too as I really liked the fit and feel of the 59. Had it been more accurate, I would probably still own it today.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have had one for about a year now. It was a LEA Surplus. I have talked to a few of the guys who were around when they were being used on duty and they didn't have a bad thing to say about them. Mine has been flawless since I got it. Its my truck gun and it serves very well.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    The model 59 was my first handgun. While it was reliable and never malfunctioned as far as feeding and extracting it was the most inaccurate firearm I've ever owned.
    I wonder how many of us would say the same thing about our first handgun?

My first handgun was a S&W 6906... basically a later generation double stack 9mm. When I first bought it, it wasn't very accurate either. It seemed to get more and more accurate over time, eventually putting holes wherever I aimed.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I wonder how many of us would say the same thing about our first handgun?
    Sorry, should have explained a little better. While the 59 was the first handgun I owned (purchased myself), it was most definitely not the first handgun I had shot. While I was no expert marksman then (or now), I could, without much effort, keep all shots in the 9/10 ring at 10 yards with any other handgun except my 59.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Sorry, should have explained a little better. While the 59 was the first handgun I owned (purchased myself), it was most definitely not the first handgun I had shot. While I was no expert marksman then (or now), I could, without much effort, keep all shots in the 9/10 ring at 10 yards with any other handgun except my 59.

Hoss
    Yeah, I just couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Yeah, I just couldn't resist.
    Yup, sometimes I just offer too good a target to pass up.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by hlili View Post
    I had a 59, chrome finish, paid over $300 [new] when they first arrived.Excellent gun, shot any ammo I fed it, even reloads. Good carry gun with proper holster.You did well with price you paid.
    Same with the one I have: Chrome, $300, and shoots everthing. I have never carried it concealed but have had a lot of fun shooting it.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Many years ago my parents gave me a nickle plated 59 as a Christmas gift. I carried that 59 quite a few nights on secuity duty. I qualified very well with it. They are or at least mine is very accurate. I still have it in my collection.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm probably going to take advantage of my Monday off and take it to the range.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links