First formal IDPA match today

First formal IDPA match today

This is a discussion on First formal IDPA match today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This morning I was attacked in the barber's shop, beset while parking my truck, nearly overrun by mob of bad guys, and generally accosted by ...

Senior Moderator

Talking First formal IDPA match today

This morning I was attacked in the barber's shop, beset while parking my truck, nearly overrun by mob of bad guys, and generally accosted by cardboard and steel.

And I enjoyed every minute of it.

I was at my first formal IDPA match, at the Titusville Rifle and Pistol Club match in Mims, FL. There were around 50 shooters there today, running in 4 squads over 6 stages.

Our squad started the day off with a visit to the barber's shop, where multiple cardboard and steel adversaries wanted to cut more than hair. The shooter began seated in the barber chair, with the gun holstered and concealed. The usual barber's apron was draped over the shooter. Two shirt-clad targets were positioned ~10 feet from the chair. On the start signal, the shooter had to remove the apron, draw and engage both targets from the seated position, then stand and head out the doorway behind the chair, turn right and engage three 8" steel plates. Once the plates were down, the shooter moved down a walkway, engaging threats to the right through a window before engaging a final target strong hand only on the other side of the walkway.

Other notable stages included the "transition" stage, where staggered columns of targets lined both sides of the bay, at increasing intervals. Along the far berm was a steel popper in front of a non-threat target. You had to engage the cardboard targets in tactical priority and order (i.e. near to far, with one shot per until all targets had been shot once, then shooting each again in any order), followed by knocking down the popper to end the stage. I ended up being the only shooter in our squad to go zero down on this stage. Sometimes luck is indistinguishable from skill after all. The non-threat behind the popper got a couple shooters whose first shot on the popper was a touch off....

This was my first exposure to moving targets triggered by falling steel plates. I really enjoyed those, and got some good hits.

Definitely a lot of fun, and something I will certainly be doing again.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Forgot to mention the gear.

I was shooting what is essentially my everyday carry gear, with the exception of adding an extra magazine pouch and mag, and keeping a mag in my vest pocket to start with.

Pistol was my Sig 226 SCT 9mm, and holster was a Comp-Tac MTAC. Many competitors seemed to favor OWB holsters, but I wanted to shoot with what I carry regularly.

The Sig ran like a sewing machine, going "bang", ejecting and feeding 100%. I really like that pistol.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I skipped my match today to spend time with family. Ironically I couldn't find any of them.

IDPA is a blast. Glad you enjoyed it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Sounds great there Matt.....it's been awhile since I've competed, but I've done my share of FTF (read: Simunitions and FATS) training, so I should be the last place guy whenever I do some IDPA shooting...but you never know.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    I can see that Matt is officially addicted after one match.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Way to go, Matt.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

congrats....

I wish that the range where we shoot IDPA was big enough to set up stages that large. However, we still have a BLAST
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Matt,

I am only about 45 minutes away from Mims, but can't do Sundays.
    (Sort of a problem for us pastor types.)

Do they do any Saturday IDPA?
    The only other thing I can find is Monday nights which almost never works for me.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Matt,

I am only about 45 minutes away from Mims, but can't do Sundays.
    (Sort of a problem for us pastor types.)

Do they do any Saturday IDPA?
    The only other thing I can find is Monday nights which almost never works for me.
    Hernando and Lakeland shoot on the 3rd Saturday.

There is a club listing on www.idpa.com that lists the days for each club.

Matt

Good for you, Matt! Keep it up, you will be amazed at how quickly your skill and confidence grows. I have told everybody that comes along to give it just 6 months, or 6 matches and see where you are at the end; you will definitely see some kind of improvement, as well as what techniques work and what dont.

Good Luck
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Sounds like a good time. We don't have any IDPA matches near my home. Wish we did.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Great Matt. Sounds like you had a nice enjoyable day & ditto it's a very fine firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links