Buying handguns in different states

This is a discussion on Buying handguns in different states within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can someone tell me the laws on buying a handgun in a state different to the one I live in? I am going to the ...

Thread: Buying handguns in different states

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Buying handguns in different states

Can someone tell me the laws on buying a handgun in a state different to the one I live in? I am going to the Tulsa Gun Show in April and live in Texas. If I buy a handgun or firearem there do they honor a conceal license from Texas. Here if you have a license and buy a handgun there is no back ground check you have to wait on.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

Federal regulations prohibit the purchase of a handgun in a state you are not a resident of. You can purchase rifles and shotguns though. If you find a handgun you like you can either see about having it shipped from and to an FFL dealer or see if you can find it at a dealer in your home state.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Out of state

Well nuts.......that is not what I wanted to hear. But thanks, I figured being so large a show there would be some great buys on handguns.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I guess if you had an FFL, that would be a mute point. Other than that---yeah, have it transferred to a local FFL where you live.

Historical footnote

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Federal regulations prohibit the purchase of a handgun in a state you are not a resident of.
    You can thank the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 for the rule that you can't easily cross a state line to buy a handgun. I remember the events in Congress leading up to this law.

Northeastern states, especially New York, had restrictive handgun laws but still had lots of handguns being brought in from southern states where it was easy to buy handguns. So the Democratic Congress and Democrat President (Lyndon Johnson) passed a Federal law banning citizens from crossing a state line to buy a handgun, using the "Interstate Commerce" clause of the Constitution as legal justification. This is enforced by BATF.

As someone said, the legal way to buy a handgun out of state is to have it shipped to your local FFL, who delivers it to you for a fee and some paperwork.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Have fun at the Tulsa Gun show. It's about the biggest there is and it takes either one very long day to see everything or you can make a 2 day event of it. I always spend too much money there. They do have some of the most interesting guns that I've ever seen. I remember years ago going there and they had a 22 LR Gatling gun for $5000. All brass and very well built. Last year they had 2 of them one for $25,000 and the other for $30,000. Oh well, I need to win the lottery but I guess I'll have to purchase a ticket first.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Links