Transfering a C&R firearm from family in Illinois

This is a discussion on Transfering a C&R firearm from family in Illinois within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, my parents have an old pistol that my grandfather brought back from WWII. They are going to be giving me in (hopefully) the next ...

Thread: Transfering a C&R firearm from family in Illinois

Transfering a C&R firearm from family in Illinois

Hi, my parents have an old pistol that my grandfather brought back from WWII. They are going to be giving me in (hopefully) the next year or two. It's 80+ years old so it falls under C&R (which I have). The problem is they live in Illinois. I am trying to figure out the best way to get it from them. They've been told they don't need a FOID card for it as it is so old and possibly doesn't have a firing pin in.

So my question is....

1) Do they just package it and go to FedEx and say "I want to mail this family heirloom overnight."

2) Do they find dealer and have them ship it to me?

3) Do I fly into O'Hare with a copy of my C&R, get a bill of sale, etc, and package it appropriately and am covered under FOPA?

4) Do I drive to them in IL and pack it safely in the back of my car and am covered under FOPA? How does one deal with states like IL, NJ, NY if I'm stopped?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Can't help on any state law requirements, but I can answer as to what BATFE allows (Fed level). As a holder of a C&R FFL you should know it too.

Fed Law says you are an FFL for C&R guns (as a collector only) and thus can send your relatives a signed FFL for their records. They can then ship direct to you (assuming your state laws allow acceptance) via UPS or FedEx (NOT USPO), as they are "shipping to an FFL".

Go to the State Laws book BATFE sent you and read up on the laws affecting such a transaction for the state the gun now resides in and your home state and you'll have the answers you need to meet the state requirements.

You then enter the gun in your Bound Book, with the info identifying the source of the gun (relative in IL).

Yep. They can ship directly to you as a C&R as long as the gun is eligible for C&R and you are holding a type 03 FFL. Your the FFL they are shipping too.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Yep. They can ship directly to you as a C&R as long as the gun is eligible for C&R and you are holding a type 03 FFL. Your the FFL they are shipping too.
    I know how it works on my end. I may have not asked the question properly. I'm looking for on THEIR end. Since they don't have a FOID I don't want them getting in trouble when they bring it to FedEx... or if I'm in Illinois I don't want to get in trouble trying to take it on a plane (packed properly) or in the trunk of my car driving it back.

Administrator
    I'd just drive there and pick it up, or fly out of Indy to avoid all things guns and IL.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    I know how it works on my end. I may have not asked the question properly. I'm looking for on THEIR end. Since they don't have a FOID I don't want them getting in trouble when they bring it to FedEx... or if I'm in Illinois I don't want to get in trouble trying to take it on a plane (packed properly) or in the trunk of my car driving it back.
    Owww gawd.... I forgot... Illinois... sorry about that. I don't know that the shipping vendor cares but I don't know what UPS etc wants there. I don't think they ask for FOID cards. You just have to follow their policy. I have never seen a separate policy for Illinois in there Firearms shipping. And that just includes shipping to an FFL. The shipper does not seem to have to provide any proof of ownership nor proof of FOID as far as I Know.

Sixto has a point. Given to you it is then yours and you can transport according to the interstate transport as yours. Unloaded, in the trunk locked etc. Its not an interstate transfer. Its an interstate transport. Its yours.

Dont hold me to this, but I believe that you can ship the gun to yourself in N.H. from Illinois as long as you have marked the box as needing an adult signature for delivery.

Or, you could just do as others have suggested and take it apart and put the pieces in a locked box in your trunk.

Links