Downsides to extended pistol magazines?

This is a discussion on Downsides to extended pistol magazines? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious to see if there are any downsides to using extended handgun magazines, other than the fact that they stick out of the bottom ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downsides to extended pistol magazines?

I'm curious to see if there are any downsides to using extended handgun magazines, other than the fact that they stick out of the bottom and are a little clunkier, less aesthetically pleasing.

I got a 30rd magazine for my PT99 (fullsize 9mm Taurus). Everything seems to be working well so far. But I can't help but wonder, if I had to stop a home intrusion, would a jury look at this huge magazine sticking out of the bottom and think "wow, he's crazy!" ?

Certainly out of the question for carry. I've got another pistol for that purpose.

Any thoughts on why I shouldn't use this, other than for practice? I originally bought it because it was relatively cheap, sort of a novelty, sort of a rarity, and due to the fact that if a demo gets elected, I won't be able to later on.

Administrator
    The only thing I can think of is that a lot of the mega capacity pistol mags are not reliable at all, and are made to be just what you bought it for... a novelty.
    "Just blame Sixto"

They really effect the balance of the gun, plus make concealment more difficult.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Concealment and loading them would be the main issues. 30-33 round pistol mags----"novelties"?--pretty much.

I see them good for range and target shooting. However they aren't so well to carry as they are harder conceal. don't't know what a jury would think, but it wouldn't help your case any. besided if you need more than a mag to stop a BG it might not be worth getting into a gun fight.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I have a 20 rd mag for my Hi Power. It has worked fine over the years. But I have to agree witht he previous posters. It's a novelty. It's extremely had to conceal. And I don't want to stake my life on it.

I don't know about the one you have but most of them will blow their floor plate and scatter rounds everywhere if dropped loaded.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    My extra mag that I carry for my M&P .40 is a 20 rounder. Not a big difference to conceal compared to a regular mag.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Senior Moderator
    the most important thing is...

they are UGLY.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This isn't for concealment purposes... I have another gun entirely for that purpose.

So I'm understanding that there have been general failure issues with these?

VIP Member
    If yours is reliable, and you aren't worried about concealing it, I see no real down side to using it for your HD pistol. You might get some extra heat from an over-zealous prosecutor, but in my (completely non-legal) opinion it is a minor issue.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have an AR-15 and a shotgun for home defense. If somebody invades my house, all bets are off. I'm not going to play fair. If somebody invades your house, and you have the right to use lethal force (according to your laws), and your gun is legal, I don't see how there could be any downside to using a high capacity magazine. If the laws change to ban them, I might hesitate because of a potential test case, but other than that, there is only one downside I can think of. The balance is definitely affected, and with any pistol, shot placement is crucial. If it throws off your accuracy, I wouldn't use it. If you experience any failures at the range, I wouldn't use it. But if you shoot well with it, I would say you are good to go.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    Assuming it is reliable, the only real downside I can see to it is if you get into a retention struggle, it makes for a nice lever to try and twist the gun out of your hand.

I'd have to say, though, that I don't see any advantage to 33 rounds over 15 in a typical home defense situation. If you can't get it down with the first 15, it might be time for a new plan, rather than 18 more rounds.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Come on Matt, there is always the chance of a zombie invasion...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Capacity like that you may want to consider a Carbine. In the long run gives you better terminal ballistics/control/ and ease of use.

Reliablity is proven vs. something out of the ordinary.

You asked the question will it be used against you. Absolulty, thats why you should have a good lawyer that knows about guns defending you. The other lawyers job is to throw you in prison and or if its civil take all your money. Hes going to be using any means necessary to get his job done. You and I both know that having 33 rounds is better than having 32 rounds; however, 12 idiots in a court room may not see it that way. I also don't care how a threat is dispatched wether its with a .22 or a F/A MP5. Defense is Defense end of story.

Just remember anything you use will be used (i.e held up in front of 12 people that still think the 2A only applies to Hunting and Breaking Clay Targets) against you in a court to show that you had a differn't mindset, than just trying to defend you or your family. Therefore getting something like "ZOMBIE DEANIMATOR" or "WARNING LEAD POISOING POSSIBLE" painted on the side/front of a gun isn't the smartest Idea IMHO.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links