Why keep several ready to go?

This is a discussion on Why keep several ready to go? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Reading post after post about those who keep multiple guns ready at hand for the late night burgler, I got to ask why. I'm talking ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why keep several ready to go?

Administrator

Why keep several ready to go?

Reading post after post about those who keep multiple guns ready at hand for the late night burgler, I got to ask why.
    I'm talking about those who have a pistol under their pillow, a shotgun in the corner and a couple of AR's stashed under the bed.

WHY? Whats the point?

I keep a few ready within a moments notice, but only one ready in an instant. If the BG gets that close, I dont want to worry about several other guns getting into the mix... and I can only use one at a time anyway.

If the zombies come, and I need something shot beyond 50 yds, I have plenty of time to unsecure a rifle and do it. I just dont get this thought process... enlighten me please.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I guess it never hurts to have options, but my only option for the late night is the G17 with 17GD HP's. Spares/options? An extra mag full. If something outside the home requires my attention, then the Bushmaster might come out of the safe to aid investigation.

I don't get it either. I have two pistols and one AR at the ready. One for my wife and one for me. One goes down we can grab another loaded gun instead of trying to clear the gun in the heat of the moment. That's also why my AR wears a bayonet.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    I really only have two pistols in the pistol safe under the bed, ready at a moments notice. I have one rifle (M1 carbine) secured by bicycle hooks in the Master closet, everthing else is in the safe.

The pistols are to get my wife and I to the rifle and in our sons room were the plan is to hole up until the calvary arrives.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I really only have two pistols in the pistol safe under the bed, ready at a moments notice. I have one rifle (M1 carbine) secured by bicycle hooks in the Master closet, everthing else is in the safe.

The pistols are to get my wife and I to the rifle and in our sons room were the plan is to hole up until the calvary arrives.
    Thats pretty close to what I do too...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Guns in house

Your post reminded me of a friend of mine who lives in a fairly large house - maybe 12 rooms. He likes handguns, and told me once that he keeps a loaded handgun hidden in every room of his house (no children, just him and his wife at home). He said he did that so that he would always have one handy if he suddenly needed it. I guess he doesn't usually carry on his person around the house.

Personally I have 2 loaded handguns hidden - one in the bedroom upstairs and one in my computer room downstairs. And I often carry in the house as well. My wife keeps one hidden in the bedroom also (no children at home).
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats pretty close to what I do too...
    So, three is what's at hand. Sounds like a perfectly appropriate number, depending on the layout of the house, the number/skill of occupants.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I only have my EDC and Taurus at ready disposal (one for me and one for the wife), with a shottie in the closet. My duty is to get the 1911 for my self and the Taurus for the wife, and if time permits me, I will head off for the shotgun. Otherwise, everything is locked up and out of the way.

From there, we move to the kids room, or hole up where we are with a vantage point seeing the kids room door. Beyond that I want to keep things fluid.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I keep my P220 loaded in a GunVault next to the bed. Don't have any longarms yet, but if I did they'd be in the closet. I don't have kids that I worry about getting to the pistol, but my take on the GunVault is this. The P220 is a point-and-click gun, no safety. If the BG somehow gets all the way into my bedroom before I have a chance to react (and I really don't think he can), I am not sure I want to provide him a ready gun if he happened not to bring his own.

If I do have more time than that, I can take the couple of seconds to pop the GunVault, grab gun and flashlight. If I have some more time, I can strap on the Safariland belt I keep in the closet with a hoslter and a mag holder already threaded and grab the extra magazines. Options, but based around the assumption that I will have anywhere form a few seconds to a few minutes to respond to anything that needs responding to.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, three is what's at hand. Sounds like a perfectly appropriate number, depending on the layout of the house, the number/skill of occupants.
    Three close at hand yes... but only one unsecured and ready in an instant.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was sitting on the John one day reading the paper... and low and behold I heard someone enter the house... and it dawned on me (I do some of my best thinking there) that I had no gun. What if it was a invasion. I had not put on my Carry gun yet and I was isolated in the bathroom. The Shotgun in the bedroom and revolver in the night stand drawer.... the AK Pistol out in the living room and my Carry gun laying on the kitchen table with my belt waiting to go on... and all the rest in the safe down in the shop... surrounded by guns but someone is between me and all of them!

stashing guns here and there, in a house with no kids, might not be such a bad idea when you think about it.

Oh... and it was my kid who came in. He called out a few seconds later. He is 21 years old. He knew he better call out but didn't realize I was unarmed. Made me think.

I keep my G19 with me at all times. I also have at least one pistol in the safe ready to go. Thats for either myself if im alone and need an extra, or the wife if we are both here. I also keep the shotgun in the locked closet with the safe.

We live in an apartment, and its not like its huge or anything, so I see little need to have guns in every room. it takes only seconds to get to one from any place in the apartment, were I not to have my G19 with me.

Out of the Safe and Ready to GO:
    .45 & Light - Me
    12 Ga & WML - Wife

When I'm around the house I carry my 9mm compact, but as soon as I go upstairs I put it away.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I keep the Glock 10mm attached to the mattress, a shortie AR on my side and an M-1 carbine on the wife’s side. The pistol is in case someone gets into the bedroom before I wake up, I can get it without moving anything but my hand. If we have time the wife takes the carbine into the walk in closet and phones 911 on the cell (kept clipped on the sling at night). I take the AR and take up a blocking position in the computer room (part of the master suit and the first room entered from the main part of the house) I live in the country with no fear of a round exiting the house endangering a neighbor, and have qualms about shooting through walls to get an intruder, that’s what insurance is for.

Everything is in the safe before bed, except what I am carrying.
    Last edited by F350; February 19th, 2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelin

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I was sitting on the John one day reading the paper... and low and behold I heard someone enter the house... and it dawned on me (I do some of my best thinking there) that I had no gun. What if it was a invasion. I had not put on my Carry gun yet and I was isolated in the bathroom. The Shotgun in the bedroom and revolver in the night stand drawer.... the AK Pistol out in the living room and my Carry gun laying on the kitchen table with my belt waiting to go on... and all the rest in the safe down in the shop... surrounded by guns but someone is between me and all of them!

stashing guns here and there, in a house with no kids, might not be such a bad idea when you think about it.

Oh... and it was my kid who came in. He called out a few seconds later. He is 21 years old. He knew he better call out but didn't realize I was unarmed. Made me think.
    This makes my point too; while you're in the john, the "BG" could have armed himself with a number of your weapons, and leaving you with nothing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links