1st Experience with Night Sights

This is a discussion on 1st Experience with Night Sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've owned my Taurus PT1911 for 11 days. My first range session with it was Sunday 2/10 - nine days ago. The gun has been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Experience with Night Sights

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

I've owned my Taurus PT1911 for 11 days. My first range session with it was Sunday 2/10 - nine days ago. The gun has been kept n the dark (kinda like most of us, huh) since. I pulled it out this morning and the sights are still glowing! I've never had any experience with night sights and figured they are pretty much a novelty. I've changed my opinion. I don't know how long these will glow without needed to absorb light to recharge, but I like them!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    They dont need any light to work... they will last 10+ years no matter if you keep it in the draweror out in the sunlight.

(and the light in the fridge goes off when you close the door)
    "Just blame Sixto"

They don't need recharging. It will take years to turn them off! The light inside your fridge is always on too!
    Just kidding. Have fun with those sights!
    Last edited by Ram Rod; February 19th, 2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: code

Thanks! I've never sat inside the fridge to see if the light really goes off! 10+ years, huh. That's cool--- I like my new addition even more now!
    Last edited by sniper58; February 19th, 2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: addition
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

What is going on there is that Tritium Gas (H3) is exciting the molecules of Phosphor to make the Phosphor glow. It continues until the half lifes of the Tritium give out so that there is not enough excitation to glow anymore. There is enough in there to Glow for about 10-12 years. As it fades and dies off the glow gets dimmer and dimmer near the end. The only fix is to recharge with Tritium and or replace with fresh tubes of Tritium and phosphor. It is not dependent on anything else. Thats a simplification of the whole thing. Its not the Tritium that is glowing but the Phosphor and its the Tritium that makes it glow.

Thanks for the info! Next question is: are they difficult to install? My son (Mercalf) has a Baby Eagle 9mm and he might like these too! But where to find them. Midway is coming up blank and Novak doesn't make the sights for the Baby Eagle. Trijicon is n ext on my call list.
    Last edited by sniper58; February 19th, 2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: addition
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

They are not difficult if the gun has dovetail cuts for removable sights. You simply drift out the old and replace with the new. Buying them specifically for that gun so that the height and width of the Sights fit the dovetail and align with the aim of the gun. The Tubes with the Tritium and Phosphor are embedded into the Sight itself. They are sealed and intact and glued into a hole in the sights. You have to replace the entire sight to do this. Not familiar with that guns construction but sometimes the front sight is not in a dovetail but mounted with a thread and nut (A Glock is like this) while the rear one is driven into a dovetail groove. Sometimes (many 1911's) are Dovetail grooved both front and back.

In the case of a dovetail you simply drive the sight out to one side and drive the new one in. Occasionally, even with purpose built sights, a little filing has to be done. There are special tools for driving them out or simply can use a Brass punch to do so.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

wow

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    What is going on there is that Tritium Gas (H3) is exciting the molecules of Phosphor to make the Phosphor glow. It continues until the half lifes of the Tritium give out so that there is not enough excitation to glow anymore. There is enough in there to Glow for about 10-12 years. As it fades and dies off the glow gets dimmer and dimmer near the end. The only fix is to recharge with Tritium and or replace with fresh tubes of Tritium and phosphor. It is not dependent on anything else. Thats a simplification of the whole thing. Its not the Tritium that is glowing but the Phosphor and its the Tritium that makes it glow.
    And they really cool to look at too.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Trijicon gets $129 for a set for his Baby Eagle. Me thinks that might have to wait for a Christmas-type gift!
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

1/2 life on them is about 12 years. This means after about 12 years, they will glow about 1/2 as bright as when they were new. I have a Sig 220 that I purchased in 1991 that I have no trouble picking up the sights in the dark or low light. I thought about changing them out; but, I really see no reason too. They are dimmer than my other newer pistols, but so am I after all these years.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    They are not difficult if the gun has dovetail cuts for removable sights. You simply drift out the old and replace with the new. Buying them specifically for that gun so that the height and width of the Sights fit the dovetail and align with the aim of the gun. The Tubes with the Tritium and Phosphor are embedded into the Sight itself. They are sealed and intact and glued into a hole in the sights. You have to replace the entire sight to do this. Not familiar with that guns construction but sometimes the front sight is not in a dovetail but mounted with a thread and nut (A Glock is like this) while the rear one is driven into a dovetail groove. Sometimes (many 1911's) are Dovetail grooved both front and back.

In the case of a dovetail you simply drive the sight out to one side and drive the new one in. Occasionally, even with purpose built sights, a little filing has to be done. There are special tools for driving them out or simply can use a Brass punch to do so.
    My understanding is a sight pusher is the recommended method as tapping the sights(drifting w/ a punch and hammer) may damage the vials.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Night sights are great for 60 y/0 eyes...I love mine (the night sights, not the 60 y/o eyes...)
    Even put them on my Glock-36...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    My understanding is a sight pusher is the recommended method as tapping the sights(drifting w/ a punch and hammer) may damage the vials.
    Oh I am sure it probably would be. And I could see that happening. I have done it with a punch with great success but I imagine that your right and there was a risk.

Use a sight pusher.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    1/2 life on them is about 12 years. This means after about 12 years, they will glow about 1/2 as bright as when they were new. I have a Sig 220 that I purchased in 1991 that I have no trouble picking up the sights in the dark or low light. I thought about changing them out; but, I really see no reason too. They are dimmer than my other newer pistols, but so am I after all these years.
    I have three Beretta 9X series with Trijicon night sights dated 91, 96, and 97 and saw no real need to have any of them replaced either. I have 2 PX4s, an '05 and an '07 with the glow-in-the-dark SuperLuminova (need light to recharge them) and the older one was never really bright to begin with but after I got the new one I noticed it has some really brightly glowing dots. I needed to see them side-by-side to get an idea how much brighter the old vs. new are, so now I want to spend the money to get some new Trijicons for the other ones.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links