A question for reloaders...

This is a discussion on A question for reloaders... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you found yourself in an extended regional power outage, would you be able to reload with your current equipment? I ask because it seems ...

If you found yourself in an extended regional power outage, would you be able to reload with your current equipment? I ask because it seems there are a lot of electronic devices among reloading equipment, these days...digital scales, motorized feed systems and measuring devices, tumblers. Would you be able to reload in the event you were without power for weeks or months?
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Years??

Yes.

Tho I believe the need for ammunition would be less in the 'TEOTWAWKI' situation.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Moderator
    Yes.

The only difference wold be when casting bullets I would have to transition from my Lee Pro 20 melter to more primitive technigues like melting in a cast iron pan over a fire and using a ladle to pour lead into my molds. I would have to use a soft lube for the bullets instead of the hard lube I use now.

I would have to use the light of the day to pour by instead of the electirc light I use now.

If the time period transitioned to years...I could simply delegate the task of casting bullets to one of the subordinates I decided to keep alive by providing food and water to because they were in condition white when the scenario occured.

and in a true TEOTWAWKI scenario...

when mankind reverts to survival of the fittest and the only law that matters is the law of the jungle... an abundant ammunition supply along with the will to use it can be the deciding factor in living or dieing.

Assistant Administrator
    I place almost zero reliance on power for reloading. My electronic scales use batteries but - still got a set of beam scales too. The case tumbler I can easily do without.

Otherwise yeah - like HG - I'd have to revert to my cast iron pot for lead melting instead of Lee unit.

Glad to say - re-loading is essentially just needy of light to see what's goin on!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    no problems till I ran out of components for loading.

Interesting. The thread on ammo shortages in LA made me think about a reliance on reloading in an area that may not have power again for several months. Just wondered, since I don't reload, now. When I was originally taught, we didn't use any electronic equipment, and what we had was Army issue. I just wondered how reliant you guys are on electronics.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Yeah soon as the battery ran out of the electric scale i could reach under bench and break out the old ballance beam.

Nothing else i have but a tubbler needs power and if it came to that you could reload with out cleaning cases

This is interesting to me. It sounds like I should start with all manual tools and then get electronic ones later.

All of my tools are manual. I still use my Dad's old balance beam scale. Single stage press with a separate manual powder dispenser. Casting could be done on a fire - but I haven't really gotten into that yet. But my father still does it. Oh - and I don't tumble my brass, but have been thinking about buying a tumbler to make them look a little pertier.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    All my stuff is very manual. I just need to learn how to use it.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

ohh and my case trimmer is electric also since i use a cordless drill i have a manual one but why torture myself

1952 - 2006
    The only problem I would have is the electric case feeder for my Dillon XL650. I guess I'd just have to drop them down the chute manually. Oh Shucks!!!!
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    The only problem I would have is the electric case feeder for my Dillon XL650. I guess I'd just have to drop them down the chute manually. Oh Shucks!!!!
    I hope my other half would feed the cases in the chute and load the primer tubes for my 650.
    I do not allow my ammo supply to get very low but I could reload without power and I always keep plenty of components "in stock".
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Dillon square deal, 5,000 bullets, primers, and big can of powder, oh yah, 10KW generator and enough fuel for quite a while (we live in the country and it is no fun not being able to flush).
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    No fun not flushing ?

Just get some water and pour it in the toliet. For refills, pour some in the tank. It dosent even have to be drinkable. If you are out in the country, you are on a septic system right ?

Links