Atten. All 1911 owners

Atten. All 1911 owners

This is a discussion on Atten. All 1911 owners within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been doing some thinking about "customizing" my SA Mil-Spec 5" .45 and was looking at the Briley Sphrical Bushing, and was wondering if ...

Thread: Atten. All 1911 owners

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Atten. All 1911 owners

I have been doing some thinking about "customizing" my SA Mil-Spec 5" .45 and was looking at the Briley Sphrical Bushing, and was wondering if anyone has one on their 1911 and is it worth the money? I have 1 piece match grade stanless barrel in there now, and would like to make it even more of a tac driver.

Administrator

Suggestion:

You might want to take a serious look at the pre-fit EGW Angle-bored bushing also from Brownell's.
    They are very high quality & are usually quite easy to fit with only minor hand fitting.
    The angle bore accomplishes the exact same function but, without the addition of an internal pivoting bushing. AKA known as "nothing to break"

Also: while a tighter barrel bushing will (for sure) be of some benefit to a pistol with an otherwise "well fit" barrel and only a sloppy fitting bushing ~ your barrel really needs to be mated to your slide and also with a good fitting barrel link mated to the slide stop pin. Just my humble opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Also: while a tighter barrel bushing will (for sure) be of some benefit to a pistol with an otherwise "well fit" barrel and only a sloppy fitting bushing ~ your barrel really needs to be mated to your slide and also with a good fitting barrel link mated to the slide stop pin. Just my humble opinion.
    I hear ya on that, I am just starting out doing my own smithing work, and have to take it slow. I need to do some more reading about fitting the barrel to the slide and such before I tackle that project. The EGW bushing is a 1/3 of the price too.

Administrator

Just Be Extra Careful

Just Be Careful when you do any work on the FRAME...That's the only "part" ya just can't "hurry up & order up" another one of and get it shipped right out to ya.
    The best "first tool" to buy before you do any 1911 "smithing" would be the Jerry Kuhnhausen book. If you don't have a copy already then buy one first. Probably the best $$ you'll ever spend if you're interested in creating even more future "tackdrivers"
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Jerry Kuhnhausen are the main things you need first.

i would got with the EGW bushing too as i plan on buying one or 2 shortly to try out for a extractor i would buy a cylinder and slide its true spring steel.

As for a barrel i would but the 40$ Kart easy fit kit for there barrels but will work on any .

Just rember the Tighter you make it the less realiable it can become..

My 1911 springer is super tight and once its dirty it has some issues but is a tack driver my 38 super RIA is loosey goosey and a tack driver so super tightness doesnt mean it will be super accurate

Best thing for accuracy is a good bushing and a good trigger and good sights course i shoot really well with the Gi type sights but i seem to be odd man otu in my shooting circle

I liked the Briley I installed in a Kimber, several years ago. The bushing itself is TiN coated, so the housing will "break" before the bushing goes bad. Honestly, unless you're match shooting, or you have a problematic 1911, its probably already beyond your practical accuracy ( I know my Kimber was). 6 of 1, half-doz of the other, though the Briley will probably "last longer" because of its coating.

I also have milspec and the only mod have is hogue grips and I can shoot the center out of the target. However, things change when people are moving I think tac driving comes with practice on slab sides. I concur with the statement above the tighter the pistol the more issues you have. In my opinion leave it alone. Just my 2Cents ....have fun be safe.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Yeah you guys are proboly right, I should just spend the $$ on Ammo and keep shooting it.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Bruce,

Just go the range, let the ammo gods take over, and watch...pretty soon you're out another $50... but man, what a great way to watch that money go.

--Jim :)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Senior Moderator
    My Mispec had a 4 pound trigger out of the box, so there is no need to mess with it unless yours it coarser.

For the curstom look without getting into too much money that you can do yourself...

Beavertail...you've got to have one for it to look custom. I put a Pacymeyer beavertail with the rubberized tail on it. It matches the Pacymeyer Fingergroove grips that are on it.

Commander style hammer.

Skelotonized trigger, with a longer trigger reach that puts you finger in a better position.

A flared mag well...or you can take a Dremel and bevel the frame.

Ambidexturous safety...unless you want to conceal it.

Extended Magazine release.

Adjustable sights .

Get a book and then read it. It'll guide you through the step and is a good how- to lesson with various tuneup tricks and hints for total disassembly.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    We all love the very accurate weapons. My hunting guns are constantly tinkered with by me. I wont settle for a 1MOA long range hunting rifle. This I feel that I need. I have a somewhat different feeling in my CCW weapon. I know the first thing your gonna think is,"something that I'm beting my life on is the weapon that I don't feel has to be very accurate." I want my CCW to be more than accurate enough for the "work" that it is intended to do. I do not compete with my CCW. I shoot it enough to stay in practice for my own qualification standards. I only shot it from the bench one time and that was when I first purchased it and wanted to adjust the sights. My priorities for the weapon is reliability and speed. My basic accuracy standard is being able to hit a 6" pie plate at 7yds. This,fast,and every time. At 15yds.,being able to hit a 8"X10" piece of computer paper,fast,and every time. When shooting at the farther distance if I put a couple of shots a little low,that's ok also. Oops,sorry,I only hit the BG on the belt buckle. This is the standards that I have set for myself. I'm sure they aren't for everybody. To me they are realistic. If I shoot at a B-27 target I always picture my pie plate in the COM.I don't care about the numbers. If I had to shoot at a BG, same thing. I'd picture the pie plate stapled to his COM. All I would be shooting at would be the same pie plate that I practice with. The 1" at 25 yds. guns are interesting, but to me,I don't want to be bothered with this level of accuracy. My little 3" Kimber will give me what I want out of a CCW. I can't hit a button on the BG's shirt but I can hit him close to the center of his shirt every time,and fast.----------

I was thinking about tinkering with it cause its just a shooter, I don't carry it (I carry a Ruger SP101 3" 357) I just shoot it. I have been looking at a Colt combat commander that I realy want, if I get it that will be my new carry piece.

Sponsored Links