I have been biten by the 1911 Bug Again

This is a discussion on I have been biten by the 1911 Bug Again within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Over the years I have had 3 different 1911's; Springfield Armory Stainless model that I could not hit the broad side of a barn with, ...

Thread: I have been biten by the 1911 Bug Again

Over the years I have had 3 different 1911's; Springfield Armory Stainless model that I could not hit the broad side of a barn with, a Kimber Ultra Carry II that I really liked and my last was a Sig GSR fullsize that was nice but I sold it for something else.

Anyway I think I need another 1911 and I have been eyeing the Kimber Desert Warrior and the Warrior models at the local gunshop. Does anyone have either of these and are they good to go? I want a 1911 that straight out of the box is good to go, I really do not want to mess with it after paying $1,000 for it. This gun will be mainly for HD and range use so any comments will be appreciated.
    "If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death praying for war. "R. Lee Ermey---FMJ"

If you want a good one out of the box, get an RIA Tactical. The guys and gals at the factory break them in for you. Usually under $500. Lots of fun and a good, reliable carry gun.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but if you held a gun to my head, I could not name you a single pistol of any make, or platform, that I could absolutely positively guarantee to 100% out of the box. They are machines and there are simply too many variables. Just keep that in mind.

The best way I know to hedge your bets to the maximum value and outcome would be to up your price a little bit and get a Les Baer Custom.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    +1 on the Rock. Another one to look at is the Taurus PT1911. You get a bunch of custom work done (at the factory) for less than $600. Taurus' ad breaks it all down (totals $1,800). I just got one for under $500 and it is smoooooooooth!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Every new gun needs a break in period, but if by good to go you mean quality and function Kimber is great. The Warrior series are nice handling and shooting. You won't be disappointed and this is from a Colt fan.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but if you held a gun to my head, I could not name you a single pistol of any make, or platform, that I could absolutely positively guarantee to 100% out of the box. They are machines and there are simply too many variables. Just keep that in mind.

The best way I know to hedge your bets to the maximum value and outcome would be to up your price a little bit and get a Les Baer Custom.
    That is not what I meant, I know firearms are machines. What I meant was that I don't want to have to drop it off to a smith right after I buy it to make it reliable like some 1911's that I have heard of. All I basically want is a nice 1911 that does not require any more bells and whistles to make it go bang and shoots fairly accurate.
    "If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death praying for war. "R. Lee Ermey---FMJ"

Sgt4474, ah excuse me. You don't need another 1911. You just got 2 new guns and have another one coming in shortly. You need to buy me that Kimber 1911 instead. Or I will tell on you. hahaha

Another one for the Rock, I love mine!
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I have two Kimber CDP II's...both good to go 'out of the box'...never had a problem with either...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like both of my RIAs..sure there were problems at first, just as any machine could endure, but they are fine now.

I have been pondering a Kimber Raptor II Pro, a Springfield LW Champion Operator, or a Para-Ordnance LTC myself.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have an early (in the 1st 500 made) Warrior. It has been absolutely reliable from day one. The only thing that I replaced was the stock "Nutter Butter" grips for a set of Gunners from Simonich Knives. Many thousands of rounds later, the thing is still going strong.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I have to agree with you Knuckledrager if and when I get one the first thing to go is the grips. I have also been looking at the TLE II version as well it is a little more cost effective and is very sharp. I don't know what I am going to do, I guess when I get to the gunshop I will let the cards fall where they may.....

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt4474 View Post
    I have to agree with you Knuckledrager if and when I get one the first thing to go is the grips. I have also been looking at the TLE II version as well it is a little more cost effective and is very sharp. I don't know what I am going to do, I guess when I get to the gunshop I will let the cards fall where they may.....
    I like the checkering on the TLE II line, but I'll take the lack of a firing pin safety on the Warrior any day.

Sponsored Links