Coming over to our side...

This is a discussion on Coming over to our side... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a great experience today, that I NEVER thought would happen...especially in the group of ladies I am surrounded with. First off, we are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I had a great experience today, that I NEVER thought would happen...especially in the group of ladies I am surrounded with. First off, we are all moms of little ones. I am sort of the outcast...you know, the non in the group. No one knows I carry in the group. The most they know is that my husband and I like to shoot trap, but it's just occasional. Ha ha ha...

Now, bear with me, I know mostly men will be reading this.

When we were finishing up with our workouts this am, we both mentioned that it was hard getting the kids out of bed. She said she had trouble because they were at gymnastics, I said we were at _________(a sporting goods store with an in house range), and that my daughter got to try out a bow and arrow. I didn't tell I was there to shoot my new gun! She asked if we ever shot there, and I said yes. She then said that her husband was interested in getting a gun for the house, but didn't know much about them, and they had concerns about the kids. She asked how we kept ours out of reach, so I told her what we do. She asked how we keep our kids safe, so I told her we demystified the guns, especially to our 4yo. I said there isn't much we can do with our 2yo yet, but that our 4yo knows what to do if she finds one, and knows to keep them pointed in a safe direction, etc. She seemed reassured.

THEN, she asked if I carried for self defense. I told her yes, but obviously not at school...which is where we were at. She then said she was interested in doing that herself. She talked a little bit about not feeling safe out and about, and that she knew she had to take it more seriously. She asked about my gun, and I told her why I chose it, and she was really interested in it. She knew exactly what a 9mm was. She said that she hasn't shot in years. I don't know how much experience she has, but it was obvious that it was a good experience! I mentioned to her that the place I was at last night had ladies night on the same night she and hubby were at the kids's class...in the same shopping center. She was really excited and said that her husband could be with the kids at their class, and she could shoot with me. Of course I told her yes!!! I told her that we have a few guns she can choose from to try out.

Isn't that great?! She is wanting to learn more about her own self defense, specifically, carry. And, her husband wants something for home defense. The way she talked, it sounded like he doesn't know too much about firearms. So, it looks like next Tuesday I might be at the range again with a new student!

I'm SO excited. I would have never thought this would happen. She heard a conversation a few months back at a child's birthday party, where I was totally flamed by several other ladies when I went to the defense of another peer (who carried a gun with her when she took her baby for a walk). She wasn't the one who was flaming me...it was her best friend. One of these women actually said that if a bg breaks into their house, she would tell him to take anything but leave her and the kids alone. HELLO?! Asking a bg to do the right thing?! And I'm the one who got flamed. I have regretted that conversation, although I didn't say anything wrong, but now I am pleased that one of the ladies is comfortable coming to me with questions and is interested in her personal safety.

It's always a good day when that happens!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

JD
    Administrator
    Awesome news. Don't forget date night on Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Awesome news. Don't forget date night on Fridays.
    absolutely! That's the start of a perfect date with the husband.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Always good to hear stories like this one.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post

It's always a good day when that happens!
    Excellent! Great job!

I love the story, you never know where you a new ally/friend/shooting partner will come from. I love the fact that even places that you would never guess a devine opportunity can pop up. Good luck and it's good that we have sheep dogs in different sexs.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member
    Well done. And well told. Sounds like you are doing a good job of walking her to the right direction. Previous good experiences or not, current ones can make or break a person as well.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

A very nice story to hear, good thing she has you around to help her out!

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Way to go Ma'am!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Moderator
    Great news and good job
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Great!

VIP Member
    Don't normally post a me-too.

But, 'at-a-gal

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    That is a great story. One of the others on this thread (Ridgeline) and I developed a friendship like yours will probably turn out. I taught Ridgeline his first CHL class many years ago. I never saw him again until I happened upon the church he attended. We have become great friends and are Starting up Defensive and Tactical of Texas together.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Always great to read about another citizen "getting it". Common sense does indeed exist in this country!
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links