For those who had to "Pull the Trigger"

For those who had to "Pull the Trigger"

This is a discussion on For those who had to "Pull the Trigger" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read the poll thread about those who have had to use their weapon in self defense and it prompted me to ask something that ...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Question For those who had to "Pull the Trigger"

I read the poll thread about those who have had to use their weapon in self defense and it prompted me to ask something that has been on my mind since the day I chose to become armed.

This can only be answered by those who have "been there".

I am not and will not ask any details on the "why" issues, but I would like some feedback on one question;

What happened after?

In asking this, what I really would like to have a little detail on, is what would "typically" happen in the coming weeks or months, or even years, afterward as far as legal issues and proceedings.

Do you lose your firearm? Permanently? Temporarily?
    Day to day life changes? Job environment?

If you wish to toss in other personal tidbits, I will listen but I will not ask.

I think you will get different answers depending on the state and circumstances.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I read the poll thread about those who have had to use their weapon in self defense and it prompted me to ask something that has been on my mind since the day I chose to become armed.

This can only be answered by those who have "been there".

I am not and will not ask any details on the "why" issues, but I would like some feedback on one question;

What happened after?

In asking this, what I really would like to have a little detail on, is what would "typically" happen in the coming weeks or months, or even years, afterward as far as legal issues and proceedings.

Do you lose your firearm? Permanently? Temporarily?
    Day to day life changes? Job environment?

If you wish to toss in other personal tidbits, I will listen but I will not ask.
    In the State of Texas. In answer to part of you question. You may or may not get arrested. Depends on the whole shooting. Your weapon will probably be seized for evidence. You will be questioned by police. You will need to get a lawyer and give him all you money. You will go before a grand jury. You will be either no-billed or true billed. If true billed you will go to trail. You will need to give your lawyer more money. You will need to give your lawyer more money. You will need to give your lawyer .......you get the idea. If you are found not guilty either by the grand jury or the trail by jury, you will get you weapon back.
    The first shooting in Texas after our CHL became a law in 1995 the first guy that shot a man and was no-billed by the grand jury; cost the shooter $25,000.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I see a lot in the news where if it is clearly self defense, like a home invasion, the shooter is not charged or apprehended.

I think if you are charged but found justified in using your weapon in self defense, the person who caused you to use it should have to pay all your court costs.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aftermath.html

This story is a real eye opener to what will happen too you.

If I remember right, Massad Ayoob once said; "If you are envolved in a shooting, expect to be arrested for murder WHILE the investigation goes on to show otherwise"...and I suspect that it will be a MAJOR hassel in your life and could very well take alot of your savings.
    Last edited by DrLewall; February 21st, 2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Sometimes life doesn't give us the opportunity to choose between good and bad or good and better. Often it is a choice between bad or worse.

Worse to be dead than in prison. Worse to be murdered, raped or maimed than broke or in prison.

We act accordingly. Self-defense is a right, sure enough. But it is not a right without a price. We pay that price on a sliding scale: depending on our locations and the obviousness with which the facts demonstrate self-defense, the price rises or falls.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aftermath.html

This story is a real eye opener to what will happen too you.
    Wow. Freedom isn't free.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

A good point was made. Don't ever look at the one who is down. Remember the person as the criminal, not a corpse.
    Very good advice.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Well put Randy.

Austin

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    The first shooting in Texas after our CHL became a law in 1995 the first guy that shot a man and was no-billed by the grand jury; cost the shooter $25,000.
    I wonder if we could expect the same outcome today given that we now have the Castle Doctrine?

the Police came

they policed my brass

took my written and verbal statements

took my wife's verbal and written statement (separately)

copied down the serial number of my gun

I had to wait for 5 weeks (couldn't talk to my cop buddies) while the DA looked at the record and decided no charges were needed vs me

the BG got 4 or 5 felony charges and he got to keep a free souvenir bullet that I gave him as a memento of my decision not to end his life that night...

the bullet is a permanent addition to his foot...

YMMV IANAL

I tend to think that being involved in a shooting will cause different reactions based upon how one was trained and their life experiences. If you've been through a lot of troubled times, like as an infantryman/paratrooper/marine in a war or a police officer who frequently works a really bad area, you will respond to a shooting different than somebody who has seldom been in a violent situation. I also think that people who give deep thought to violent confrontational situations, say a criminal defense attorney in private practice, will respond to what he sees or does based upon his legal training and experiences. A person who lives a sheltered life can easily and understandably be overwhelmed by participating in or witnessing a violent death or shooting. One thing that I do know is that nobody is completely immune from emotions involving violence used against other people. It is just that some people are less effected by results of the violence. Even your really hardcore, combat-hardened people will have some trouble with witnessing the results of violence but to a much lesser degree than a novice.

As to the legal ramifications, many problems can be reduced for the legally correct homeowner or intended victim of a crime depending upon how the initial responding police officers structure the case or write their reports.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Links