Getting out of disasterville

This is a discussion on Getting out of disasterville within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Be it a hurricane, earthquake, etc. , in a situation like NO with society gone wild and you had no running car and had to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting out of disasterville

Getting out of disasterville

Be it a hurricane, earthquake, etc. , in a situation like NO with society gone wild and you had no running car and had to walk out to safety carrying everything needed (BOB bag, kids, etc.) what guns would you want to protect your butt on the way.
    I will have to take my normal CCW a SA 1911 and my AR-15. A few hundred rounds of .223 ammo does not weigh to much.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Works for me.

Pretty much the same

Administrator

Thumbs up For A WALK OUT ?

Good Thread Brian!
    Hummmmmmm....My Trusty Combat Commander (that never fails to go bang) or any super reliable Colt pattern pistol.
    My Commander is Blue Steel...after watching Waterlogged New Orleans...I would probably opt for a Stainless or plated Colt...if I owned one.
    Then I would normally say a 12 gauge shotty but, not for a Walk Out AKA not enough individual bangs for the bulky weight of the shells!

So...I would say my .223 Galil (even though it's heavier than your average AK) because it's indestructible with it's milled receiver & Ultra High Quality Overbuilt Parts - the added weight spells No Recoil in caliber .223 & (unlike most AK-47 pattern evil weapons) it's an incredibly accurate tack driver.

THEN...I (for sure) would add a small STAINLESS S&W .22 rimfire revolver BECAUSE...having that would give me a few hundred more rounds of available emergency ammo for almost no additional weight gain.

I'm open for other suggestions though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Concealed .357 revolver, and BUG. Leave the long gun behind it will just draw attention and notice from the authorities.

MAYBE a non-threatening style longarm like a pump shotgun or lever carbine, but an "assault rifle" has too much baggage attached.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Administrator

Thumbs up That's a valid point tanksoldier

I'll need to ponder on that because I have already thought about this a bit recently. I guess so much would depend on the exact scenario.
    Actually, when I am speaking of "walk out" (for myself)...I am taking "walk out" to just mean "on foot" ~ not necessarily in open, public, or day-time view.
    I am thinking more in the way of a clandestine & careful "sneak out" - as VS an ordinary walk away from the event.
    I am best guessing that if I spot the "powers that be" before they spot me I can jettison the long gun & then retrieve it if necessary.
    It's an interesting thread topic & something for me to seriously think about.
    Last edited by QKShooter; September 7th, 2005 at 01:48 AM.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    Concealed .357 revolver, and BUG. Leave the long gun behind it will just draw attention and notice from the authorities.

MAYBE a non-threatening style longarm like a pump shotgun or lever carbine, but an "assault rifle" has too much baggage attached.
    I believe I agree with this, too. I would leave the rifle and, instead, carry both of my 1911s and my .22 Colt (probably have my wife carry it). I would also probably opt for the shotgun, as well. Sounds like we have all been thinking about this type of thing lately....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    I like the idea of the lever carbine. With a 30-30 you wouldn't draw those 'stares' or the attention of the authorities so much as with an (Oh God) 'assualt weapon'. The rifle will drop anything you point it at at, any range out to 200 yds or so. A shotgun won't do that as well.

I would also carry both my 1911's and lots of mags.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If I have to walk, and have any luxury as far as time is concerned, I'll wait until nightfall.

I have night vision and lots of extra batteries.

The average looter won't even see me as I leave wherever I've holed up.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I like the idea of the lever carbine. With a 30-30 you wouldn't draw those 'stares' or the attention of the authorities so much as with an (Oh God) 'assualt weapon'.
    I was thinking that is an easy question to answer...... Do to the limited amount of weapons currently available. I would have to use my 30-30 since it's currently the only "long gun" I own, unless tou want to count a 45 cal. flintlock........ A little slow to reload.

The hand gun part is also easy, my SIG P-226, and have the wife carry the 239.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Me & G3 up front, my wife with the Steyr bolt in back (much lighter!!). Move at dusk & dawn. If you "don't like what you see", leave us alone.

Depends on who you meet, but bearing and attitude go a long way- its easier to let someone who seems capable/in charge go by, than to occupy scarce resources trying to hold them.

Assistant Administrator
    Makes a fella think Brian - good subject. Yes - one of course on our minds of late and I mentioned to wife on this - as we both knew that if we had to we'd be headin' out on foot as against just staying put.

But we would be toting that's for sure and this thinking re ''what we look like'' - when it comes to EBR stuff - is valid - whether we like it or not.

I would naturally have SIG on board - and plenty of loaded mags. I would choose to let Mrs P95 carry the AK (she would also have her M85 purse snub.) but heck - it looks so mean!. I would choose the FAL, despite weight of it and ammo - also maybe looks too mean!.

But thinking of perhaps more ''sensible'' approach, then Bob's mention of lever is a good one. Something so ''traditional'' and backwoods in appearance will not look as overtly hostile. If I went that route then I guess wife will tote Win 94 in .357 and I'll have the Marlin 94 in .44 mag.

Good prod this thread - I shall review all options in more detail.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If i went with a lever gun i would use my 375 winchest only one i got and if your gonna go might as well go big its good for 7 rounds

Lead Moderator
    Full camo , ruck and my USP and AR-15. 40 yard walk to the woods from my house. I can travel for miles this way. Need to cross a few roads, but shouldn't be a problem.

Senior Moderator
    If i have to "walk out" in a crowd and Im worried about looking "hostile"...

I may have to resort to "urban camoflage"...

If ever I feel the need to "hide" my stuff...probably due to overseazlous LEO types that think because its a crisis that they can do whatever they want...

I'll probably wear levis with holes in them and a dirty t-shirt,beat up tennis shoes and at least a couple of days growth of beard. Im going to blend in with the refugees and whine like the rest of them about how hungry or thirsty I am. Im going to look as unprepeared as the other 99 percent of the population. I may even blame "crisis" on the President...

In my alice pack, I'll have my short barrelled .300 Whisper AR15 broken into half with one pin attached in case I need it in a hurry.My suppressor wil lbe there for the scarce occasion that a quiet shot in the dark may be needed. My SIG will be in the small of my back and in my pack will have the usuall assortment of MRE's, water filtration and of course ammo. Firemaking stuff, a poncho ,some line and a couple of knives along with few flashlights. My night vison goes with me. It dosent need batterys to work. Im going to stay as low profile as I can be while I get to my "other" destination.

Hopefully, the attention will be focused on the guys with the rifles while I'll be slipping out unnoticed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links