Gun Shows?

This is a discussion on Gun Shows? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've done a google search and found several articles on etiquette at a gun show, but I can't seem to find answers to a couple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shows?

Gun Shows?

I've done a google search and found several articles on etiquette at a gun show, but I can't seem to find answers to a couple of specific (although noob-ish; working on becoming more educated) questions that I have.

My main question is, what is the preferred method of payment at a gun show? I strongly suspect that it is cash but I'd like to be sure before I just assume.

Secondly, how do you guys go around transporting your purchases? I know this is probably a stupid question, but i'll ask anyway: is it legal to put a gun purchased at a gun show in a backback or bag if you don't have a concealed carry permit?

Last, and this one is more area specific, how are the gun shows in the DFW area? By that I mean do you generally consider most of them to have a decent selection at reasonable prices as well as being a place you like to go? How is the one held at Market Hall every few months?

Thanks in advance for helping a new guy.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelKangaroo View Post

My main question is, what is the preferred method of payment at a gun show? I strongly suspect that it is cash but I'd like to be sure before I just assume.
    Cash is still King Most will still take card, but may charge you more, and it may take time, they have to use some from of dial up to run the card, or they do it the old fashioned way using the paper machine.

Secondly, how do you guys go around transporting your purchases? I know this is probably a stupid question, but i'll ask anyway: is it legal to put a gun purchased at a gun show in a backback or bag if you don't have a concealed carry permit?
    Most states allow you to bring home the gun with no problems. Either you're A OK without a permit or you need a permit to purchase in the first place, I don't know what TX law states, but we have plenty of TX members that should be able to help you out on the specifics.

And I'm sorry to say that I can't help you on the third.

VIP Member
    I don't know anything about DFW area, but I can answer the other questions.

1. Cash. Most dealers will do plastic, but usually have signs saying that there is a 3% discount for cash. So if you use plastic you pay 3% more. Gun shows in larger cities often have an ATM available.

2. Dealers will usually put a hand gun in a bag for you. I usually will leave a long gun with the dealer until I get ready to leave. With the gun being strapped to prevent firing I don't see the possibility of it being called a concealed weapon. Even if you buy one at a gun store they put it in a bag. In Alabama you don't have any problem with putting it in a backpack and leaving a gun show. I will be interested in the responses you get from Texans.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

went to a show a couple of weeks ago in Little Rock, Ar. I bought from two different vendors....and they both took checks. Kinda surprised me....it was my first gun show also.

Cash is king, most gun show vendors are pretty big. If they have a sign saying they take credit cards it is against there contract to surcharge. Don't let them charge you more. If visa/mastercard finds out they surcharge they will close their account.(I'm in the business).
    What they can do is post a sign saying there is a 3% discount on cash sales. pm me and I can give you a phone # to call just give the business name, and tell them they wanted to charge ?% for using there card and all the sudden cash is all they can take. people are impulse buyers, I have been to the gun show with 400.00 in my pocket to buy a shotgun and walked out $1100.00 later. I wish they only took cash. It is to there advantage to take credit cards and they have to pay the 2-3% they are charged by there processor, not you.
    Prices are crazy right now and vendors are already taking advantage of it, don't let them stick you any more. I'm not!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I bought a Walther P22 last week in Houston at a gunshow. 3% break for cash. Put purchase in bag and carried it home. Fun little bugger to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I live in the Dallas area. Gun shows are pretty good here. You will save 100 to 150 bucks on the average when buying a handgun at a gun show over going to the local gun store. Market Hall and Big Town (which is this weekend the 23rd and 24th) are the only ones you can buy ammo in Dallas. Market Hall is the better of the 2. Ft. Worth has a couple of good ones two but some else will have to give you info on those.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    IMO the Market Hall show is the only one worth going to. It's the biggest, which means the best selection. You can save quite a bit waiting for a gun show vs buying at a store.

If you buy a new gun it will likely come in a box for transport. If not, or if it's used, no problem. Put it in your bag, take it to your car & leave. There are many people carrying handguns, shotguns, rifles, etc outside in the parking lot of the show.

As said before, cash is king. Some places add a small % for credit card purchases. I'd walk around to find the best deal. In my experience with the Market Hall shows, Jeff Schramm & Bachman Pawn & Gun have the best selection & prices.

Here's a list of upcoming shows.
    Dallas/Ft. Worth Gun Shows

Very good gun show in San Antonio and other cities in South/Central Texas:
    http:Saxet Trade Shows

1) Cash is best. Gives you LOTS of bargaining power. People will absolutely work a deal on cash that they would with any other method of payment. Especially small dealers.

2) I usually carry a backpack or shoulder bag to the show. Just because it's easier to carry heavier items. At times I've wished I had my rolling suitcase with me, mainly when I buy ammo by the case. If you buy a weapon and walk around with it, you'll mainly get lots of inquiries about whether you're selling it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Might be different there, but at the shows around Arizona the dealers and pawn shops RAISE their prices. Lots of impulse buying. Know what you want and what it's worth. In Arizona, dealers and pawn brokers have to charge sales tax. I only do private deals at the shows, if I even go. Between parking fees, entry fees, $6 hot dogs and $4 Cokes, you've got to save a bunch to make it worthwhile!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I am going to the Big Town gun show this Saturday(tomorrow). It will be my first gun show. Any of you guys going who want to meet up? I saw how well that thread worked with the Central Florida meet up, and was wondering if we ever do anything like that around DFW...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Sending you a PM
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I will be attending the gun show on the 23rd as well, just in Jackson,Ms. It,s our larger one Great Southern Gun and Knife Show.
    Man I hate thinking about how much this will cost!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Gun shows are pretty good in the dfw area.I have bought 2 guns there.Look for a dealer called Bachman pawn.They are the cheapest of any that I have found around.I will be at the one tomorrow,looking to pick up some more mags and ammo. sj

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Might be different there, but at the shows around Arizona the dealers and pawn shops RAISE their prices. Lots of impulse buying. Know what you want and what it's worth. In Arizona, dealers and pawn brokers have to charge sales tax. I only do private deals at the shows, if I even go. Between parking fees, entry fees, $6 hot dogs and $4 Cokes, you've got to save a bunch to make it worthwhile!
    I asked the guy when I bought a Glock & he said that he discounts about $40-50 at gun shows because they will get volume sales.

When I bought my SW442, it had a discount of $42.50 on the receipt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links