Sig: Dry-Fire & Cleaning

This is a discussion on Sig: Dry-Fire & Cleaning within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi. I had the joy of taking my Sig P6 to the range for the first time a couple of days ago. I am in ...

Thread: Sig: Dry-Fire & Cleaning

Hi. I had the joy of taking my Sig P6 to the range for the first time a couple of days ago. I am in love [My roommate (cop/ military sniper instructor) is deployed and he's usually the one that walks me through things.] So here I am, all alone.... (hahaha)

Ques:
    1. Read Sig manual last night. It says clean and lube after each use. I don't do this w/ my Glock. Should I do this w/ Sig? Have I been mistreating my Glock? [Field-stripped both last night and they seem to be fine.]

2. I dry-fire the Glock regularly. Does the design of the Sig allow regular dry-firing?

Thanks in advance,
    Carmen
    Adapt & Overcome.

I break down/clean/lube all of my pistols after every range session. Just a habit for me. With any pistol, I'd at least clean the bore with a snake or something even if you don't want to break it down. I don't believe it's recommended to dry fire the SIG pistols. I won't dry fire mine. Glock's are striker fired and no problem dry firing those. I will not ever dry fire any pistol with a conventional hammer/firing pin action. Pin damage can result, and can shorten the expected lifetime of the pin.

We use Sigs for our simulator training (dry-fire hammer strike activates the barreled laser). After tens of thousands of dry-fires, the guns still work great.

I clean my guns every time I shoot, but not the barrel. I might scrub the barrel (dry) but usually I let hot copper scrub for me at the range.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I break down/clean/lube all of my pistols after every range session... I will not ever dry fire any pistol with a conventional hammer/firing pin action. Pin damage can result, and can shorten the expected lifetime of the pin.
    Actually, I enjoy breaking down, cleaning, etc. It's relaxing. I just don't want to overdo anything, kinda like waxing a car too much.

I studied the Sig's diagram last night and what you're saying makes perfect sense. That just gives me more of a reason to go to the range. Then again there's the cost of ammo. Ouch! I'm more of a "lunch & range" girl than a "dinner & a movie" girl anyway. HA!

Thanks for sharing your experience,
    Carmen
    Adapt & Overcome.

I would not "dry" fire any weapon, even a striker fired one excessively. I have broken a striker in the past! Any time you send a firing pin or striker moving, something has to stop it. This stopping eventually will lead to stress fractures and eventual failure. Sig does have a firing pin spring that will absorb some of the shock, but the best bet is to use snap caps. This gives the firing pin something to stop it, the way it was engineered to be stopped.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Sig does have a firing pin spring that will absorb some of the shock, but the best bet is to use snap caps. This gives the firing pin something to stop it, the way it was engineered to be stopped.
    Are "snap caps" are manufacturer-specific? Or no? Are there any brands that you favor?

Thanks so much!
    Carmen
    Adapt & Overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by camocarmen View Post
    Are "snap caps" are manufacturer-specific? Or no? Are there any brands that you favor?

Thanks so much!
    Carmen
    When I used to think I needed Snap-Caps, I used A-Zoom snap-caps. They are aluminum and will last longer than the plastic ones, especially if you run malfunction drills a lot.

Seriously, call Sig. They'll tell you the truth about dry-firing.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Snap-caps and their ilk are generic, by caliber. By a few of them in the appropriate caliber for your P6, and dry-fire away. (Be sure to check, double check, and triple check that there is no live ammunition in any of your mags or that could in any way get into your pistol during this practice, of course).

As for cleaning - it is an axiom in good military units that you clean everything, after every use, in this order: Your weapons, your gear, your self. I abide by that rule whenever any of my weapons sees use or exposure to the elements. You don't want to "scrub the blueing off" of your P6 or your Glock, but you do want to keep them meticulously clean and properly lubed. Being of top quality and very strong reputation for reliability, these weapons will probably function just fine dry and/or dirty, but why take the chance?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Snap caps are caliber specific...

For a quick clean after the range, run a patch or two (or use a bore snake)--and run it through the barrel a couple of times; wipe down the slide, frame, and barrel; lubricate the barrel (outside) and rails lightly and you're done.

Once a month/every other month (depending on amount of shooting)--take more time...no worries. SIG is pretty tough.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

OK, so I just got off of the phone with a Sig rep. (603.772.2302). He said that dry-firing Sig is no problem and should not cause damage to firing pin. Also, snap caps are a precaution no necessarily needed. Hhmmm.
    Adapt & Overcome.

OK, so I just got off of the phone with a Sig rep. (603.772.2302). He said that dry-firing Sig is no problem and should not cause damage to firing pin. Also, snap caps are a precaution no necessarily needed. Hhmmm.
    You'll find this is the case with the overwhelming majority of center fire weapons. When in doubt, ask the manufacturer.

I've dried fired my 220 since 1991, and no problems. I also dry fire my other Sigs. Snap caps are not going to hurt anything but not necessary.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If the Sig guy says you can do without, rock on! I use mine out of habit as I have owned several different makes of weapons, and for me it is easier to use them in everything than try to remember which need them and which don't. I also will take them to the range with me and mix them into a magazine or two with live rounds for failure drills. Of course each and every one is accounted for before I reload for carry.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I also will take them to the range with me and mix them into a magazine or two with live rounds for failure drills. Of course each and every one is accounted for before I reload for carry.
    I like the drill idea. Thanks!
    Adapt & Overcome.

Sponsored Links