Another New Study

Another New Study

This is a discussion on Another New Study within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here we go again...... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050906/.../unlocked_guns...

Thread: Another New Study

1943 - 2009

Another New Study

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    O.K. , my kids live in a house with locked up and loaded guns. Unless I am wearing 1, which is most of the time. They also have been taught to use em, respect em and shown just how deadly they can be. How many liberals have dangerous objects such as knives, axes ect. in easy reach let alone unlocked.

Assistant Administrator
    Here we go again......
    Yep - gets awful tedious don't it. Of course there is some validity to commenting on unlocked guns because there are some totally irresponsible folks out there but by and large this stuff seems to be used against us - ALL of us. I resent it.

In many cases they overlook the fact that kids CAN be and often ARE savvy on guns - having been brought up with them. The survey also by focussing on guns leaves out the huge hazard list for child injuries and fatalities. IIRC someone posted a pie chart on THR on this - from 2002 - see if I can find it..... here ya go -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any child death from gun accidents is one too many and all people should be cognisant of safety but - let's keep things in perspective

`
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Absolutley shocking that the areas with the highest percentages were low crime while DC had the lowest percentage. Granted I believe it has little to do with the guns and more to do with the poor/uneducated citizens of those crime areas, but still pretty obvious that more guns doesn't equal more crime.

Secondly, did these 5% in DC get arrested for having a loaded firearm in their house since it's illegal?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I like that stat that says someone is more likely to be killed by a gun where there is a gun present than a place where there is no gun.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    P95, That's a great responce. Thanks for the pie chart.
    When my kids were little, all I had was a High Standard .22 semi-auto. I kept the gun without mag on a high shelf in our bedroom closet. Then I put the loaded mag on top of the moulding around the closet door, on the inside of the closet. This worked great. The mag laid on the moulding very securely and noone knew it was there except my wife and me. When my kids got older, I took them out and taught them to shoot and let them handle the guns, under my supervision, whenever they wanted to. I never had a problem.

Grew up with guns

I grew up around guns that were not locked up. We were taught about guns and allowed to shoot and handle them appropriately. So there was no mystery about the guns, no romance or fantasy. We knew what they for and how they worked so we had no incentive to 'play' with them. Of course we also knew (from other experiences) that disobeying a direct parental order would result in certain punishment. The combination kept us from getting into too much trouble. I raised my son the same way.
    Whenever I read any statistic I first recal a book we used in stat class in college. it was aptly titled "How to Lie with Statistics".

Sponsored Links