Is porting that big of a deal?

This is a discussion on Is porting that big of a deal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have no experience with porting. However, I do see burning clothes and flesh in my future if I shoot from the 2 position with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is porting that big of a deal?

I have no experience with porting. However, I do see burning clothes and flesh in my future if I shoot from the 2 position with a ported pistol.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

2. Remove Ads

Good info. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 3" 1911 and was just about to send the barrel/slide to Mag-na-port. Not so sure I'm gonna do that now. I guess I'll just live with the muzzle jump. Sure makes double taps tough tho.
    buzzg

VIP Member
    I had a snubby Taurus 617 (.357 magnum) with the ported barrel. Great gun. Muzzle and porting blast in low light was a non-issue - there wasn't anything blindingly spectacular, no matter what I shot out of it. The porting did help with muzzle jump - I found the snubby much more comfortable to shoot with the porting.

Downside is crud flying out the porting and into your eye when shooting from retention... or across your body shooting at your carjacker.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I've had ported shottys and rifles, just never got into the pistol end. I would agree that in really rapid fire (like the almost full-auto rates you can get with a Glock, once you learn the minimum trigger re-set), it could be a serious show-stopper on the receiving end. The warnings about "crud-blow" are valid too. The nice thing about autos, and the Magnaport system in particular, is that if you don't want to carry ported, or "sometimes yes, sometimes no", you can drop in a non-ported barrel. I buy into weapon "systems" (multiple mags, parts, duplicates of the same gun, compatible rounds, holsters, etc..), and if you think along those lines, there's no reason not to buy ported, up front, if you like the idea- pick up another barrel later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links