Is porting that big of a deal?

This is a discussion on Is porting that big of a deal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does it really make that much difference? Are there cons to a ported handgun?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is porting that big of a deal?

Is porting that big of a deal?

Does it really make that much difference? Are there cons to a ported handgun?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

2. Remove Ads

Well i only hav 2 both the same model colt anacondas 44 mag's with 6 inch barrels with mag-na-port.

Do i think it makes a big difference? No not even with 300 grainers they feel the same and muzzle flip is about the same.. make soem more noise thats for sure..

Now on a Rifle i can tell ya theres a big difference..

Im Sure the muzzlebrake Another beast all together really helps on say the 460 XVR Smith or on the 500Smith .. ill let ya know ..

Might even work on my 454 pretty well but havent had any work done to it

Lead Moderator
    For a CCW gun, I would worry about muzzle flash in low light. Some comps or porting works better than others. I don't know what is best or better, cause I don't use em.

Actually for CCW i would worry about setting yourself on fire or other wounds from the pressure if you had to fire close to your body

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Actually for CCW i would worry about setting yourself on fire or other wounds from the pressure if you had to fire close to your body

That would be bad too.LOL.

I was just a little curious. I was looking at the XD40 and saw the ported version, realised that I didn't know anything about ported handguns and figured I ought to ask the guys here. Wasn't sure if it was like a muzzle brake or not. No thoughts of carrying one. Just trying to soak up the knowledge.

Catching oneself on fire might be counter productive to the task at hand.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Assistant Administrator
    Kurt - I think the ''fire hazard'' is minor LOL - but certainly flash is and can be well magnified.

I have an SRH in .454 and after seeing another guy's same MagaPorted, wondered if I should do it. Well - $300 is not gonna happen!! It ''may'' reduce flip a bit but hey - I love cannons anyways!

On snubs I think it is almost a joke - mainly cos of flash and those suckers rise anyways. That said - I know folks who had it done and like it - no disrespect to them but it ain't for me

Anything IMO that reduces night vision is undesirable for me - and porting will probably do that.

Certainly tho as mentioned by Bud - a good brake on a rifle can be great - different story that is. I have a comp on my Raging Bull in .454 - not sure it does much but, that gives me an excuse to (again!) post a pic of my Bull in full fury - note not only the gas jets from comp' but also the cylinder gap gas escaping!!!

I don't think porting does too much on real short barrels - JMHO!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Decided to edit that pic and add some descriptive text.

`
    Last edited by P95Carry; September 7th, 2005 at 11:56 PM.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sweet picture.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

I knew my Fav pic would turn up again ahh can never see that one enough.. My little avatar is my shooting my mag-na-ported 44 not as cool of a pic though

I could stare and grin at that picture all night long.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

I got the ported XD-40 and the recoil to me isn't an issue. I'm not really sure how much it helps but to me I think it would be along the lines of negligable. The main reason I got the ported version was for for the coolness factor and it does leave a cool V shaped flame coming out when you shoot. The only real problem is if you stand next to it while shooting (say in the next port at a range) you get blasted by unburnt propellant and the wave of air pressure. In all honesty though I'm very happy with my ported XD.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Assistant Administrator
    Just remembered - one of our top shooters at the IDPA club, has a Glock - 17 IIRC with porting.

Never seen it at night but wow - can he shoot fast with that sucker, and accurate too. That is one case where it seems control is well improved.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Mag Na Port

I did have a S&W J~Frame BodyGuard done with Mag~Na~Port. They did a beautiful job & a NICE action tune job & beautiful silvery soft satin chrome. The revolver looked fantastic.
    It absolutely added some visual "Cool Factor" with those two perfect Trapezoidal Slots EDMed into the end of that mellow chrome snubby barrel.
    I originally bought that BodyGuard for my wife & I thought it would be a useful addition.
    I paid too much attention to the gun writers back then.
    When I shot it with HOT HOT ammo I could feel the recoil being very slightly "less sharp" would be the best way to describe it.
    In my opinion the pros of having it done would not counteract the potential cons.
    I'm not recoil sensitive at all & my wife carried it with such Low pitiful mild .38 Loads that it would not have made any difference in felt recoil to her.
    I would say spend the Mag~Na~Port dollars on some nice, beautiful custom grips for your handgun. Just my opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1952 - 2006
    Though I have never owned a ported gun, I have shot several. I find the venting gases present a real problem for CCW and personal defense.
    Firing one in close proximity to your body can be painful, destructive to your clothing and potentially dangerous. Try holding a sheet of notebook paper over the vents when firing. You'll find a quick method to creating confetti.
    I agree with the above about flash at night. wouldn't be a 'cool' thing then, would it?
    I don't want that on my defensive weapon.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

The only advantage I've found to porting on pistols is keeping the accumulated recoil down as you fire extremely quickly. It's offset by the noise, blast, and gas, and IME you can learn to control the bucking monster as you tap off 15 in 3 or so seconds without the porting. ;)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links