P3AT Problems

This is a discussion on P3AT Problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend gave me a Kel-Tec P3AT that he said jammed every time he shot it. Of course, who would turn down a free gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3AT Problems

P3AT Problems

A friend gave me a Kel-Tec P3AT that he said jammed every time he shot it. Of course, who would turn down a free gun - even with problems. I fluffed and buffed it first in all the right/recommended places (320, 400, 600, 800 grit sandpaper, then buffed with stailnless steel jewelers compound). It had some serious rough milling spots and at least one place with sharp edges wearing. I have it smooth as I can get it - following fluff and buff instructions from an owners website. I have ordered new springs (incl mag spring) from Kel-Tec but they have not yet arrived. The spring/action does not feel bad. After all that work buffing and polishing, I put a loaded mag in the gun and racked the slide - the bullet jammed directly into the end of the feed ramp. I emptied it and tried again - same thing. Third time I tried it the bullet fed. I intend to get the new springs installed as soon as I get them and then try it at the range. Any ideas, mag, springs, other suggestions about what I could do? Thanks!
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Are you letting the slide slam shut to load the round, or are you easing it forward? When I first got my P3AT, I could get the round to jam on the feed ramp if I eased the slide forward. Now, it won't jam at all, but I've still found the only reliable way to feed that first round is to slingshot the slide. When the gun cycles, that's what happens anyway. It needs that amount of force to overcome the friction on the feed ramp and go into battery.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Are you letting the slide slam shut to load the round, or are you easing it forward? When I first got my P3AT, I could get the round to jam on the feed ramp if I eased the slide forward. Now, it won't jam at all, but I've still found the only reliable way to feed that first round is to slingshot the slide. When the gun cycles, that's what happens anyway. It needs that amount of force to overcome the friction on the feed ramp and go into battery.
    Ditto...

Rick

I did sling shot the slide when it jammed the first two times. I am hoping it is something else (springs?, mag?).
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

If it does not run good at the range, I would send it back to Kel-Tec with a detailed description of what happened and what you did to correct it. Kel-Tec has a reputation for making it right.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Check the guide rod hole on the front of the slide. Is it wearing evenly, or is it elongated in one axis? Are there two springs on the guide rod, one inside the other, and do they move smoothly about each other and the rod? Load your magazine, and look at it from the side. Does the angle of the top round match the angle of the feed lips, or does it nose down a little bit? If it isn't flush with the top, you may want to disassemble the magazine(s), flush them out with solvent (break free or whatnot) and lightly lubricate/reassemble them. Magazines tend to get neglected, especially on little pocket guns that don't get shot a ton.

New Member Array old deaf coach's Avatar

my suggestion

I've had several P3AT's & I've heard this complaint before. A lack of lubrication is the most common problem. I recommend you grease the slide rails, hammer face & underside of the slide that bares on the hammer & then apply a little light oil on top the grease. All small autoloaders tend to be sensitive to a "limp wrist" hold & this can be part of the problem in some cases. These guns are also sensitive to the ammunition used so you might try different brands. I use Winchester HPs but Federals also work 100% for me. After this if it still doesn't work I've found the best approach is to send the gun back to KelTec & let them fix it. No offence meant but home remedies often do more harm than good. I speak from experiance.
    The P3AT is a good gun in my opinion.

I would suggest you send it to kel tec. They will fix and or replace the gun. These are good people to deal with and their firearms are excellent for the price
    Jack dog

I just recently bought a P3AT from a coworker...has had less than 100rds through it, and that was the first thing he told me was that you had to slingshot the slide to get it to feed. I intend to do a F&B on mine as well, thought maybe if I polished the ramp it might help a lil. Let us know how it goes with the new parts and such.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Send it back and it will be fixed you won't be sorry as you will end up with a very good gun in your pocket no matter what you're wearing!

I usually have trouble with mine chambering the first round but have never had trouble with it after that. Like others have said just slingshot the first round or I have found that just a nudge on the back of the slide will get it to chamber. It is doing better now after about 200 rounds but has never had one problem other than that. Since I always keep a round chambered it isn't a problem as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the good advice! Will Kel-Tec fix it if I am not the original owner?
    Kimber Pro CDP II

From the Kel-Tec owner's manual:
    This warranty is granted by Kel-Tec CNC Industries, Inc. , Cocoa, FL
    This lifetime warranty is effective from the date of purchase and applies to the original owner of a Kel-Tec pistol.
    Kel-Tec handguns are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship.
    Any such defects of which Kel-Tec receives written notice by the original owner, will be remedied by Kel-Tec without charge within a reasonable time after such notification and delivery of the handgun as provided below.
    Since at this point you have no money invested, even if they charged to repair it, I think it would be worth a call to inquire about cost. If your friend that gave it to you is close by, you may ask him to make the call as the original owner but if they fix it, he may want to keep it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Normally they will fix it no matter if you are the original owner or not. The restriction about original owner is just a CYA type deal and I hgave not heard of anyone being turned down. Before worrying about sending it back I would shoot a few rounds to see what happens. As I said mine has problems with the first round but then goes bang every time.

OK. It has taken a long time to report on this. I fluffed and buffed the gun, got new recoil and mag springs from Kel-Tec. After all that I wanted to test the gun's ability to cylce so I loaded the mag and racked the slide and it jammed, clear, repeat, jam - after three jams, it began to feed normally. Yesterday, I took it to the range to try it out. It fired the first round, jammed on the feed of the second. The second round was angled up and jammed against the top of the slide - as if the bullet bounced off/up the barrel ramp. I cleared the gun. The gun jammed this way for 3 rounds, repeat clearing - and each time I fired it the magazine dropped out as well. Round 4 the gun cycled but a bullet did not feed. This was the norm for 2 mags at which point I put it away. Any suggestions? I am thinking the only thing left to do is get a new magazine - but am I wasting my time?
    Kimber Pro CDP II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links