So, it FINALLY happened...

This is a discussion on So, it FINALLY happened... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes, after 20,000+ rounds, my Sig P228 had a mechanical malfunction. I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, but yesterday was a day ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, it FINALLY happened...

VIP Member

So, it FINALLY happened...

Yes, after 20,000+ rounds, my Sig P228 had a mechanical malfunction. I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, but yesterday was a day that will live in infamy for me...

Here's the situation: I was shooting an IPSC competition, and was at the second stage of the day. I had fired about 40 rounds so far. Mags are stock Sig mags, varying in age from one year to more than 6 years. Ammo was M882 NATO ball, recent manufacture. The weapon had been cleaned and lubed prior to shooting.

About 10 rounds into the second stage, I get no response when I pull the trigger. The slide is not locked back, though my immediate thought was that I somehow short-loaded one of my mags and had run out of ammo. I went into immediate action, tapping the bottom of the mag and attempting to rack the slide. There was a problem, however, as the slide wouldn't budge. At this point, still under the timer, I grab the slide in a very strong over hand grip and manhandle it back - with some efort the thing goes back and out pops a round. So, at this point, I just replace the mag and finish the stage...

Afterwards, I inspected the round that had been in the chamber - it looked OK to the naked eye, and had no indentation on the primer. I don't know what caused the malfunction, or even what had really happened (I was in a hurry to clear it and didn't pay much attention to the specifics). After that stage, I switched to Hydra-Shok ammo and had no further problems at all, and I made sure to use the same mag that I had been using when I had the malf.

So, what happened? My best guess is that the slide failed to go all the way into battery, but then why was it so hard to retract? Could the round have been out of specs? The feed ramp and chamber had some fouling from those first 40 rounds, but nothing major (and I've had 1,000 round days with this gun without cleaning it). Any ideas?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Do you still have the round? If so, measure it with some calipers and see if it's in spec.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Don't have the round, or calipers for that matter...lol
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Don't have the round, or calipers for that matter...lol
    That sucks! No way to know what the culprit is, although I'd put my money on that if the rest of the rounds worked just fine.

At the very least, I think I'd detail strip the pistol and make sure the firing pin looks good to go and is clean.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Doing that as we speak... :)

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like an out of spec round that wouldn't quite go into battery, and didn't want to come out of the chamber.

Can't really blame that on the 228. I'd have to suggest that it's record remains unblemished.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    I read and reread your post OPFOR, and I think Matt and Sammy are right. Had the slide not been stuck, I might have suggested some 228 problems... I just dont think its the guns fault in this case.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's a mechanical device... it will fail eventually, as all machines will.

I'd agree that in this case, it looks like a badly formed round. Even a dented case could have lodged itself in the chamber, not quite seated, and making it difficult to extract. Did the hammer fall when you attempted to fire? If it was out of battery, it shouldn't have... (unless there's something weird about Sig's that I'm unaware of!)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    The hammer was down, but to be perfectly honest I don't remember if it fell when I pulled the trigger or if it was already down. It was ALMOST in battery - I thought that it was until I brought the pistol in to get a stronger grip on it - I then noticed that the slide was back a small fraction of an inch.

I really want to believe that it was ammo related, and I think that it, in fact, was... But it was still a sad day. :(

Look on the bright side. At least it was cleared in a short amount of time and continued to function. That's much better than the alternative.

VIP Member
    And it didn't happen at a crucial time... I just liked being able to say "my Sig has X amount of rounds through it and has never malfunctioned." Now I need a little asterix by that statement...

Maybe you just got scared and couldn't pull the slide back because you were so nervous....

I'd blame it on the ammo. If the gun worked fine the rest of the day, nothing else really makes sense - at least not to this guy. Just my two cents...plus the joke!

Austin

VIP Member
    Well, I don't know about scared, but I have to admit that I was shocked into inaction for a half-second. Unless I'm training for malfunctions (and therefore anticipate them somewhat, even if I don't know exactly when they're coming), the thing simply doesn't fail. In this (competition) format, I have to admit that malfunctions weren't on my mind...

Just goes to show: train, train, train, and train some more. Just because nothing has gone wrong before is no garauntee that nothing will go wrong in the future (or the present!)

Also, buy a Glock.

VIP Member
    Lol, Sammy. I have no problem with Glock - I've carried them as a civilian and on Karzai's detail, and think that they are - ounce for ounce - probably the best "fighting" handguns ever made.

However, Sigs are VERY reliable, accurate, blah blah, and they're (let's face it) a heck of a lot prettier than Glocks. Most importantly, of course, is that I'm issued Sig and required to carry it, so the rest is academic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links