FN Five-Seven

This is a discussion on FN Five-Seven within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was at the range on Saturday and I met a guy who let me shoot his FN Five-Seven. I don't know how practical ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN Five-Seven

FN Five-Seven

So I was at the range on Saturday and I met a guy who let me shoot his FN Five-Seven. I don't know how practical it would be for a SD firearm but WOW it was a joy to shoot! Practically no recoil to speak of and SMOOTH. Outside of a .22, that was probably the easiest semi-auto I've ever handled. Too bad they're so dang expensive!

2. Remove Ads

Who knows more about this pistol?

This has got me interested: FN Five-seveN at Impact Guns Home

JP
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

I have a 5.7 and love it !! It is a little bulky for daily carry , But i have carried mine on quite a few occasions .
    I bet we dont get past page one before someone refers to it as a "22magnum" or call it cute . I dont have any link , But ive ready many articles about the round and i have seen a bunch of research about the effectiveness of the round , Even as a defense round . It is dismissed pretty quickly by those who have never owned one , But usually praised by those that do own them .
    Check here FN FiveseveN Forum for some good info from those who own and use the 5.7 .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    From what I have read, the 5.7mm is considered impractical for carry due to its velocity and the tendency for over-penetration (excluding the bulk you guys mentioned). Whether or not that is true, I'll leave for the experts to discount.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    Try a search on this gun - we have IIRC had one or two threads in the past discussing it.

For me - it would be a fun range gun but not ideal for SD and carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    From what I have read, the 5.7mm is considered impractical for carry due to its velocity and the tendency for over-penetration (excluding the bulk you guys mentioned). Whether or not that is true, I'll leave for the experts to discount.
    It does not over-penetrate. I think most nay-sayers have come to this conclusion because the restricted ammunition is armor piercing. The ammunition available to civilians: SS195LF (formerly SS192) is a 28grain HP that tumbles on impact and SS197SR is a VMAX round.

You can see some ballistics testing over at FN FiveseveN Forum
    Terminal Ballistics of the 5.7x28mm - FN FiveseveN Forum

Also Elite Ammunition offers custom loaded rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by speedlinehobbies View Post
    I bet we dont get past page one before someone refers to it as a "22magnum" or call it cute .
    The really funny thing is earlier that day I was shooting CCI Maxi Mags, so I kinda got a side-by-side comparison. I can see why some would compare it to a 22 magnum (velocity, low recoil, small cartridge), but that's no 22 magnum. It's MUCH more.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    The thing on that gun that I think makes it not a good choice for Carry is the Safety.

The safety is very small and is in a unnatural position requiring fine motor skills. As far as the cartridge is concerned. I think its a neat idea, but I would like to see data from actual shootings.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    The thing on that gun that I think makes it not a good choice for Carry is the Safety.

The safety is very small and is in a unnatural position requiring fine motor skills. As far as the cartridge is concerned. I think its a neat idea, but I would like to see data from actual shootings.
    The safety is where your trigger finger is when it is off the trigger. It is easy to sweep off the safety while drawing the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by f3rr37 View Post
    The safety is where your trigger finger is when it is off the trigger. It is easy to sweep off the safety while drawing the weapon.
    I've seen experienced shooters with thumb safeties forget to take them off. Granted it dosn't happen all the time but Murphy is my neighbor. Or switch them back on. No other guns have a safety in that spot, training is going to be tought not impossible but its still going to be hard. I'm alittle against safeties in general for self defense.

5.7 in genral has a cult following, its new, with a new idea therefore guy who like gadgets its a cool idea.

However, for carry I'm going to stick with the proven.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    5.7 in genral has a cult following
    More of a cult following than lets say... the 9mm or .45 club?

I bought one about 2 weeks ago and have been able to try it out briefly and I have to say that it is an awesome setup. I think that the safety could be an issue without a lot of training, but I see its use in a defensive practice. I have been one of these people that have been in the "9mm club" though I have to say the 5.7 is having me rethink my HD gun.

9mm/ .45 I would not classify as a "cult" following. I ment the 5.7 had a small following. To me since they have been around for almost ove 100 years, and they have worked timelessly again and again they are more like the norm.

All I'm saying 5.7 is a radical idea. It hasn't taken off with many LE departments or even military issue for that matter and its been around since the 90's. Unless you consider stargate SG1, a brance of military and LE. If your going to carry one for SD then more power to you. I think there are a lot of better alternatives for "most" people looking for a gun for CCW, than a fairly oversized pistol ment for duty carrry.

I've shot one numerous times, and my personal opinion "not for me".

I know a guy who carries one around his property, but he puts it away and carries a S&W 4006TSW when he goes into town. He said he doesn't trust the 5.7 in crowded areas for the risk of overpenetration.

More like the P7. (Platform, rather than caliber.)

9mm and .45 have lots of bodies building the bulwarks of their claims of lethality. Any round, obviously, can kill, but cost/performance, documented trauma, availibility of ammo, etc., validate viability. The GyroJet was a fantastic concept, and could have gone much farther, however....

I think the 5.7 will be around awhile, but I think it will hinge as much on restriction of private arms ownership as any other factor. Mass production of "off" calibers would dramatically increase if Gvts. went to them, and banned previous Mil-calibers. Not an unforseeable event.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links