KelTec P3AT broken mainspring

This is a discussion on KelTec P3AT broken mainspring within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to shoot my little pocket gun a couple of weeks ago and found out that the mainspring had snapped. Really light trigger and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KelTec P3AT broken mainspring

KelTec P3AT broken mainspring

I went to shoot my little pocket gun a couple of weeks ago and found out that the mainspring had snapped. Really light trigger and hammer flopping free.

I have no idea when the spring broke (I last shot it around Christmas 2007) but I've carried it often since then, for all the good it would have done me if needed.

I'll let you know how my experience with KelTec's customer service goes. I've left information on the online contact form a week ago and never heard from them. I sent an email yesterday but haven't heard back yet. I'll call them later this week if I haven't heard back.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

2. Remove Ads

wow, that's a scary thought when looking back and thinking of what could have happened.

The spring is pretty simple to replace...

Just guessing here, but when I first got my P3AT I was rather lax in cleaning it. Always in my pocket, exposed to sweat, but the plastic and hard chrome never showed anything, so I didn't worry about it much.

After a year and lots of ammo, I ordered a full set of replacement springs from KT. While replacing them, I found spots of rust on several of the springs, with one of the worst spots at the lowest point on the mainspring. It looked to me as if it could have broken at any time.

I disassemble and coat every spring with a light coat of oil once a month now, twice a month when it's hot outside. I've had no further problems.

Is the spring broken at the lower connection point? Is there any sign of rust around the broken end?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

cmidkiff,

yes, the spring is broken toward the bottom and there are signs of rust. I've owned the pistol for just under a year but have never oiled the springs.

This lives in my pocket a lot and it sounds like there's part of the pistol that I neglected. I never even thought about oiling that spring to tell you the truth.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Administrator
    I've had good experiances with Keltec... I've asked for parts and a few days later they were in my mailbox. I wonder why they are not taking care of you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the post..

While I have not shot my lately I think I’ll take it to my workshop and give it a cleaning, and some oil.

Oh, ya may want to call them. Sometimes web servers go down, and the business you’re trying to contact won’t get the email.

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've had good experiances with Keltec... I've asked for parts and a few days later they were in my mailbox. I wonder why they are not taking care of you.
    I'm not sure, either. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. I'll call them and speak to a human to see about repairs.

No worries.

I had a great experience with Kel-tec service last year. I sent back my 1st gen P-3AT after a shell had failed to extract and become lodged in the breech. They practically returned a brand new handgun, upgrading mine to a 2nd gen in the process. All repair was covered under warranty. It took about 6 weeks to get it back, and I was beginning to wonder because I never heard anything from them after I sent it in. Then one day it showed up.

I think you can depend on them to treat you right.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Their employees are probably all on stress leave, due to the upcoming release of the Ruger LCP. They'll get back to you once their therapy is over.

(Yeah, it's mean......but I couldn't resist)
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Their employees are probably all on stress leave, due to the upcoming release of the Ruger LCP. They'll get back to you once their therapy is over.

(Yeah, it's mean......but I couldn't resist)
    My thoughts exactly.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

LMAO! :)

I bet they'll be really nice to me then....

i broke my hammer spring two years ago. it broke at the top. called kel tec and they mailed me a new hammer spring (275), hammer spring catch (279), and hammer pin spring (274). call them and tell them what parts you need. they will mailed them and it is not hard to put them in. don't know why it broke, just did.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    ... I sent back my 1st gen P-3AT after a shell had failed to extract and become lodged in the breech. They practically returned a brand new handgun, upgrading mine to a 2nd gen in the process...

I think you can depend on them to treat you right.
    Sorry to here they traded your Sexy and light 1st Gen, for a heavy ugly 2nd Gen. But, sounds like the took great care of you.

Also, it's Hilarious to see people jumping on the Ruger bandwagon w/out anyone even handling one... let alone shooting one.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Administrator
    Sounds like somebody should start selling a set of aftermarket Stainless steel replacement springs for the little guy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sounds like a great business plan.

Anyone here a metalurgist?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links