What's this 1911 worth?

What's this 1911 worth?

This is a discussion on What's this 1911 worth? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A good friend of mine died a couple weeks ago, and I told his son I would like to buy one of his guns, to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's this 1911 worth?

What's this 1911 worth?

A good friend of mine died a couple weeks ago, and I told his son I would like to buy one of his guns, to remember him, if that was ok.
    So today, he shows me some of what he is willing to let go.
    The gun I am interested in is something I would never buy for myself, but it's the most fitting.
    I have a feeling it's old, and its value has been ruined.
    I just want to pay his son a fair price, but don't have a clue. I figure this is the place to ask.

The gun is a Colt Gov't. No Mark IV, no Series anything on the slide.
    It's been redone in nickel, some of the edges are a bit soft.
    It has a Clipdraw, and there is some rust on the frame behind the trigger.
    Also a couple flecks on the slide. There is a trigger shoe, and a shock buff on it, too. Nice trigger, and tight bushing fit.

This one is big, loud, and a little rough, but so was Lawrence.
    It also gives me the next Colt I was going to buy, a 5". (got 3.5 and 4.25)
    I would add an ambi, lose the shoe, and get some grips on it. Serial is C225xxx.
    Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom

I'm sorry for your loss.

I would offer him $350 to $400 max for the pistol, with plans to resurrect it.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I'm pretty sure they didn't start adding the "series" numbers to them until after 1970 so it should be older than that since you said there's no series number on the slide.

I know there's a colt guy(OD comes to mind) or two in here that probably know right off the top of their head, but I found what appears to be the production year here(if that helps you any with your valuation):

Colt 1911 .45 ACP Production Statistics and Serial Numbers
    S/N C222001 to C231999 1947 9999
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Post on the 1911forum. You'll have an answer in minutes.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'm pretty sure they didn't start adding the "series" numbers to them until after 1970 so it should be older than that since you said there's no series number on the slide.

I know there's a colt guy(OD comes to mind) or two in here that probably know right off the top of their head, but I found what appears to be the production year here(if that helps you any with your valuation):

Colt 1911 .45 ACP Production Statistics and Serial Numbers
    My 2 1911's are series 80. What is different on this one? I noticed there were less parts when I took the slide off the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    My 2 1911's are series 80. What is different on this one? I noticed there were less parts when I took the slide off the frame.

Its a true 1911 not the bastardized "series 80" with all the hokey "safety" features Colt has been selling these last 10+ years....(can you tell i don't like the Series 80 crap?)

Also a couple flecks on the slide. There is a trigger shoe, and a shock buff on it, too. Nice trigger, and tight bushing fit.

I would add an ambi, lose the shoe, and get some grips on it. Serial is C225xxx.
    Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom
    Really need pictures. The C225xxx indicates a manufacture date of 1947. Commercial manufacture of these only restarted after the war in 1946... around 10,000 were made in 1947. Definitely post pictures.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

OD*
    A good friend of mine died a couple weeks ago, and I told his son I would like to buy one of his guns, to remember him, if that was ok.
    So today, he shows me some of what he is willing to let go.
    The gun I am interested in is something I would never buy for myself, but it's the most fitting.
    I have a feeling it's old, and its value has been ruined.
    I just want to pay his son a fair price, but don't have a clue. I figure this is the place to ask.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom
    Black is correct, it's a '47 commercial Government Model and pictures would help.

If the pistol hasn't been badly treated it maybe worth a restoration. Your pistol should have the short self USGI type thumb safety, a narrow "checkered" hammer (not serrated) and possibly a lanyard loop MSH (Colt never threw away good parts )
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Mainly these parts;

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    and
    To do my best to answer your question I would say anywhere 450 to 500 range would be fair . Actually most likely over fair offer . If you can put up pics of the handgun including serial nos ( black out the last two digits if you want ) that would help , however i dont think you have anything there that would change the evaluation since it is marked " Colt Gov't. No Mark IV" it is likely a series 70 or a parts gun . and the condition of it from your post can be called a bit rough . Not to belittle your friends death or your desire to be fair but honestly that is value .. with that said i personally have paid over 500 for a similar gun just to help the estate and to have my bud's gun . Do what you will but ask yourself what the momento is worth to you .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    and i dont think you have anything there that would change the evaluation since it is marked " Colt Gov't. No Mark IV" it is likely a series 70 or a parts gun
    He means it's not a Mark IV, no MKIV rollmarked on the pistol. The serial number is from '47 (C 225xxx), Colt stopped using the C prefix and suffix with the introduction of the Series '70 pistols.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    He means it's not a Mark IV, no MKIV rollmarked on the pistol. The serial number is from '47, Colt stopped using the C prefix and suffix with the introduction of the Series '70 pistols.

Well that would change things a bit on value . and i admit i missed it OD thanks . With that info i wont throw out a value , it is now subjective However many here can give a blush or base price , and you can also check gunbroker for a similar handgun ( hopefully with help from folks here ) . However what ever evaluation is established i stand by my thought of its worth what you are willing to spend to have it . I have about 14 guns i wont sell because of memory's , and they range from a pre 64 mod 70 rifle thro a ravin .25 . In each case the intrinsic value has nothing to do with the value to me and in some cases i have paid double the market of the gun to have " that gun " . I dont shoot any of my heir loom guns a lot , but i do clean them and oil them . some of them it takes an evening to do simply because i remember things with the gun as a talisman. In closing if this is your remembrance of your friend spend what it takes to get it , you wont regret the extravagance as the years go by .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

OD*
    How rude of me.

I'm sorry for your loss, Tom.

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    How rude of me.

I'm sorry for your loss, Tom.
    It's ok OD, I get that way too. I'm a solve the problem kind of person, and sometimes am very blunt or direct, and miss some of the courtesies. I was hoping you would post, you seem to be the forum Colt guru. The nickle plating wasn't done real well, some over polishing. Lawrence was on the Army marksmanship team. When you take the grips off, there is a case # from 1992 where the gun was in evidence for a criminal case etched in the frame. With the Clipdraw, I know this is the gun that went into his pants after work every day. We met at Boeing, ten years before CCH came to Kansas. RR is right, it's worth what I'm willing to pay for the memory.

When you take the grips off, there is a case # from 1992 where the gun was in evidence for a criminal case etched in the frame. With the Clipdraw, I know this is the gun that went into his pants after work every day. We met at Boeing, ten years before CCH came to Kansas. RR is right, it's worth what I'm willing to pay for the memory.
    Wow... I would find out about that case!

The fact that it's "well used" and was obviously a carry gun should tell you something -- this was the gun your friend trusted his life to. You know what that means without me having to tell you, I'm sure.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links