Bud would approve/Is this worth considering...

This is a discussion on Bud would approve/Is this worth considering... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd almost forgotten. I saw something pretty cool today but I'm not sure it's such a great deal. I almost put a down payment on ...

Thread: Bud would approve/Is this worth considering...

Bud would approve/Is this worth considering...

I'd almost forgotten. I saw something pretty cool today but I'm not sure it's such a great deal. I almost put a down payment on it but decided to think about it first more objectively.

The rifle in question is "used" but it has never been fired. Not once.

It's a Ruger M77 Mark II All-Weather in .308. It's this exact rifle right here.

Here Is The Link - Click Here.

It's actually kind of weird I saw it because I've always wanted that rifle.

Now I know Rugers have some features some people don't like, such as the fact the mounts are so specific you have to use Ruger rings to mount the scopes, and they tend to be finished slightly rough. But overall I like their rifles, just not their Mini 14 series. I just think they're made well and they're just easy on their owners for the most part. The other thing about a Ruger rifle, like any Ruger firearm, is that it's overbuilt for what it is.

I realize it lacks the grace of a Remington or the mind numbing accuracy of other brands, but I think it's fine for what I'd want it for.

Now included is what I think is a pretty good scope. It's a Leupold, and I think it's this very scope right here in silver:

VX-II 4-12x40mm Adj. Obj.

http://www.leupold.com/products/products_highlights.asp

For sure it is a Leupold and for sure it's a variable power from 4 to 12.

Rings mount etc. are included as well.

They want $870 and they might go down a little on it. What do ya'll think? Scoop it up for sure, could go either way/how bad do you want it?, or pass?
    Last edited by QKShooter; September 9th, 2005 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Repair Link

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - I actually like these rifles tho - for that cal I wonder if a tad light in weight.

I bought my M77 II used in very good shape and added a mediocre scope - tho thinking of taking a Leupold off something else to use. Mine is in .223 and is a good varmint rifle. I enjoy it a lot even with cheapie scope.

The price you mention seems high even allowing for scope. It ''sounds'' more like a $700 deal to me max.... $ 650 would make me interested, tho maybe I am being unfair (and a cheapskate! LOL).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Euc, to add - my breakdown on price is - I paid $450 for mine and I'd add say $200 for that scope you mentioned - thus my ''target'' price of $650.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah I thought the price was a little stiff. The only thing that really captivates my interest in it is that if I were to buy that rifle brand new, it's in the exact configuration I'd put it in. It's tempting when you see it all set up already cheaper than you could get it brand new.

And thing is man, this rifle is NEW. The scope is new. It has not been used once. It sat in a safe for 3 weeks before the guy sold it off. Must be nice to be able to go through rifles like that.

I'm trying to price that scope but without having it right here I can't identify it precisely. Even if the rifle turns out to be a dissappointment maybe the scope would be a worthwhile consolation.

Perhaps this is a wait and see kind of thing. The seller will go down on it after deer season is over I bet if they don't sell it at that price.

I think price is little high for my area at least the rugers are nice and if i buy another rifle it will be a ruger.. 308 is all right as a caliber but i prefer 300 mag ... lol if fits more for what im comfortable shooting btu ya got to rember its me shooting..

one thing about a ruger you cant beat there service and there very hard to break .

Leupolds are nice but even with the 4x20 scope its high .

Ya know ya want it ..

Also the link to Ruger site doesnt work

You right i approve

Oops wrong link

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=7849&return=Y

That should work.

I suspect they're trying to price gouge just a little bit because the hunters are geting ramped up right now. Just about everything is in season right now or will be soon.

Assistant Administrator
    So it's new - well guess that makes a difference but still - seems a tad excessive on price. Absolute guess but daresay the scope is a $300 item or just under.

I have little doubt you'd like it - but again I wonder if the weight is enough for cal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I personally would want a larger caliber too. Nothing wrong with .308, but ya can always light load a bigger caliber. Ya can't upload a .308 beyond case diamensions and safe loads.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I have little doubt you'd like it - but again I wonder if the weight is enough for cal.
    I think that's why he got rid of it. I'd bet you $1.

Thanks for the collective opinions. I'll keep an eye on it and see if they are willing to come down some in a couple months. I'm not really hurting for it, just thought it was worth considering.

Links