For those familiar with Minnesota...

This is a discussion on For those familiar with Minnesota... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently live in Mississippi, but will be moving to MN in July or August. I am one of those folks that fears a new ...

Thread: For those familiar with Minnesota...

For those familiar with Minnesota...

I currently live in Mississippi, but will be moving to MN in July or August. I am one of those folks that fears a new AWB will be enacted early next year, so I am looking at getting a few guns this year that I believe may be covered under that ban. The question I have is about databases state or local governments may keep on guns sold.

I'm 95% sure that I could buy the guns I want here in MS without leaving any permanent record of having done so, i.e. no government entity would have a list of the weapons I own. However, I don't think I'm going to be able to afford to get any of the guns I want while I'm still here. I will probably be in MN by the time I can get the funds together for at least a couple of them, if not all three.

So for those familiar with Minnesota laws, when guns are purchased in MN, are there any records kept that could / would lead to a government entity having a list of the weapons I have? I believe there isn't any official "registration" in MN, but I'd prefer to know for sure. Any help will be much appreciated...

Thanks!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Absolutely. It's called a form 4473. When the DC shooters were doing their thing the ATF stopped by the gun store where I bought my .223 rifle and then they sent some DC cops to my house to see my rifle.

They didn't see my rifle, or the inside of my house, a story for another time.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Curiousity aroused...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Absolutely. It's called a form 4473. When the DC shooters were doing their thing the ATF stopped by the gun store where I bought my .223 rifle and then they sent some DC cops to my house to see my rifle.

They didn't see my rifle, or the inside of my house, a story for another time.
    Your story sounds interesting. I wish you would tell it to us.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

There is no "official registration" as you put it in MN. Who knows what the government is really doing though and who know what the gun store you buy at is really doing too. What part of MN are you moving to may I ask and welcome in advance. You have decided to move just as our Democrat controlled government has decided to tax us into the poor house. Good timing.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

My wife got a great job in St. Paul, so we'll be living either in (at least at first) or near there for the foreseeable future. I've been reading up on the news of the area for the past few days - I assume you are referring to the "transportation bill", right? We both grew up in WI, & spent time in CA, so we're used to high taxes. That doesn't mean we like it of course, but hey - the job is right, so that's where we're going.

I have another question - if I buy a gun of any type in WI, do I have to have a Minnesota 'permit to purchase'? I gotta figure I do, because otherwise that would be a pretty huge loophole in the whole 'permit to purchase' program...

Thanks for the welcome!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member
    So the way it works is you have to comply with the rules of your home state when buying a long gun in another state. Handguns you may not buy out of state unless you have them shipped to a FFL in your home state. You need a permit to purchase a handgun or "assault weapon" in Minnesota. If you have a concealed carry permit you do not need the additional permit. Minn. Stat. 624.7131; 624.7132

I've only bought long guns in Minnesota, so I may miss the intricacies of handgun and AW purchasing.

Good luck in Minnesota. I still have family scattered about the southern part of the state. There are worse places to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    So the way it works is you have to comply with the rules of your home state when buying a long gun in another state. Handguns you may not buy out of state unless you have them shipped to a FFL in your home state. You need a permit to purchase a handgun or "assault weapon" in Minnesota. If you have a concealed carry permit you do not need the additional permit. Minn. Stat. 624.7131; 624.7132

I've only bought long guns in Minnesota, so I may miss the intricacies of handgun and AW purchasing.

Good luck in Minnesota. I still have family scattered about the southern part of the state. There are worse places to live.
    First off, thank you - that clears up a lot for me. Second, do you know if I have to have a MN carry permit, or if the Utah permit I will be getting shortly will suffice?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    First off, thank you - that clears up a lot for me. Second, do you know if I have to have a MN carry permit, or if the Utah permit I will be getting shortly will suffice?
    I would say it needs to be a MN carry permit. I'm not aware of any state that has a background check or purchase limit requirement that accepts an out of state permit as an exemption. So I would say once you establish residency get your permit application underway.

For example, when I moved to VA last year I could carry on my Utah permit, but was not exempted from the one handgun a month law until I received my VA permit.

Good luck on your move. Just moved again a couple weeks ago and it isn't fun.

Yeah, this move is going to be a royal pain in the tuckus... My wife is going to go up in July to find a place for us to live (she can stay with relatives in the area), and I'll follow up with all our stuff in late August. We have a bit of a 'cash flow' issue that will prevent us from moving together.

Thanks all for the input - I think I'm going to do my best to buy everything I can before I leave MS so as to avoid the issue as much as possible, but now I'm "armed" with good info should I decide to wait until after the move.

Thanks again!

You need a permit to purchase handguns and assualt rifles. If you bought a AR in WI as MN resident the FFL has to follow the MN law.....hence you have to produce a permit to purchase or permit to carry.....

The permit to purchase is gotten from the Police Dept where you reside. The permit to carry is gotten from the sheriff of the county you reside in. You have to have aMN approved training org. instructor taught class to apply for the permit to carry.

Some more info for you...

A MN permit to purchase is free and you can usually get it in 7 to 10 days after applying for it. They're good for one year.

A MN carry permit is $100 or less (probably $100, but some counties charge less) and is good for 5 years. It can take up to 30 days to get these. You'll also have training by an instructor certified by a MN BCA approved organization. This will cost $75 to $175.

Two forums you should check out for MN specific info are:

Twin Cities Carry Forum

and MN Gun Talk forum

Links