Niece's First Gun Shop Trip

This is a discussion on Niece's First Gun Shop Trip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My niece has a 4 y/o daughter whose grandparents and aunt (my spouse) are not gun friendly at all. I've been dropping hints to my ...

Thread: Niece's First Gun Shop Trip

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue

My niece has a 4 y/o daughter whose grandparents and aunt (my spouse) are not gun friendly at all. I've been dropping hints to my niece who is 25 about learning a little about guns. She's been receptive but we haven't really followed up yet. Today I had the opportunity to babysit the 4 y/o. I told her mother what I planned to do and that I was going to a gun shop and asked if Natalie could go with me. She was fine with it although if the other relatives found out they would probably never let me see her again.

As we were going to the gun store I told Natalie where we were going and educated her about not touching guns and telling me or another adult. I went over it a few times and questioned her and she answered the questions every time. We went in the store I chatted with the employees, we looked at the stuffed animals, and browsed. As we left the store she looked at me and said "I didn't touch any of the guns." I was keeping an eye on her but not hovering every second. She on the other hand made a conscious effort to follow the rule. I was very proud of her.

Now to get her mom through Women on Target or another class. If she will and wants a gun to protect herself and her daughter she's got one. I'll keep teaching and reminding Natalie. They live in a neighborhood that isn't exactly bad but near a bad neighborhood. I would hate for Natalie to find on laying in the street or yard and pick it up.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

start 'em while they're young! :)

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    If children are taught RESPECT for, not FEAR of, firearms, there would be far fewer incidents. You are on the right path, keep going. JMO
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Catch em before they start watching MSNBC...

If children are taught RESPECT for, not FEAR of, firearms, there would be far fewer incidents. You are on the right path, keep going. JMO
    +1 I have a 9 year old and 6 year old that have been taught since they were old enough to understand. They do not touch a gun unless told to do so.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I suggest that you have her mother check out Cornered Cat. It's a website run by a very knowledgeable, smart, well spoken lady who caters her site primarily for women and guns, though there is a ton of good info for men there too.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I being a male have read almost everything on Cornered Cat and was impressed with the information on the site.

VIP Member
    Not to go off the subject, but if children are taught respect for everything at an early age I think you would see a lot less of the trouble that we have now. I know I'm showing my age. But when I grew up you didn't talk back to your parents, or any adult!

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    I suggest that you have her mother check out Cornered Cat. It's a website run by a very knowledgeable, smart, well spoken lady who caters her site primarily for women and guns, though there is a ton of good info for men there too.
    Agreed. In fact if a guy can get past his own testosterone issues its IMO the best introductory to handguns website, book, video, etc. around. I have not read anything as practical, non-confrontational, or rational for a newcomer to firearms.

I've suggested my niece read it, but I'm still at an early stage of getting her interested in protecting her self and daughter. Right now just getting her daughter taught about firearms is a start. I'll keep nudging her along. I've offered to and will pay for any training necessary. If it comes down to it I will buy her a gun if she wants one. The same offer has been made to my nephew who's 23. He's taken an NRA class so for his birthday I am paying for his IN lifetime License to Carry a Handgun. If he saves up some money I'll help him out with that but I would like him to save a few bucks towards it.
    Pitmaster

XD9
    I have 4 children in the house and found out early on that if I replaced curiosity and fear with respect, I have never had any issues with my children around guns.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

"...gun-proof the child!"

SMART
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Talking

Try getting the Mom to go to the range with you. A couple of years ago my niece came here from Korea to attend college for a year. In Korea the only people with guns are police or military - private ownership (with extremely rare exceptions) is forbidden.

One weekend I was cleaning my rifles and handguns when she stopped by. You should have seen her eyes pop out of here head when she saw the guns! She didn't know that we can own guns over here, and she was shocked to see my very modest collection.

After assuring her that they wouldn't jump up off the table and shoot her, or wouldn't turn me into a mass murderer with a single touch, I asked her if she'd like to lean to shoot. She wasn't too keen on the idea at first, but decided to give it a try. So while I finished cleaning the guns I started to teach her about gun safety, and then did some dry firing.

The next day we hit the range. She was very timid at first, but before long her confidence and skill both began to grow. She ended up going through about 100 rounds of .38 Spec out of a Taurus M85, plus about 60 rounds of .357 Mag out of a Ruger GP100 before I ran out of ammo. But long before we finished she was able to keep all her shots in the chest area of a half-silhouette target at 25 meters, even with the snubby! She had a great time, and even had us take video of her shooting so she could take it back to Korea and show all her friends!

The only blemish on the day is that I didn't start out with enough ammo! So see if you can talk her Mom into going out to the range with you. You might be surprised how it turns out.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Try getting the Mom to go to the range with you. So see if you can talk her Mom into going out to the range with you. You might be surprised how it turns out.
    I know she will go. Its just a matter of coordinating schedules. The whole family went to Las Vegas last year. I offered her and her brother the opportunity to go shoot machine guns. Both were willing to go but when it came time to go she decided to stay back and go shopping or hang out at the pool or something. At least he went. Once the weather gets warmer here I'll be able to get her to the outdoor range easier.

The big benefit to this was my wife overheard me talking with our niece. While driving home for dinner she began a conversation about how protecting oneself. My wife has hated my new interest in firearms, but this conversation was a HUGE step in attitude change by her. At this rate she may shoot sometime this decade vs. the end of the next decade.
    Pitmaster

One of the biggest things to keep in mind with teaching new shooters is to keep it fun while keeping it safe as well. That's always been the hard part for me as I'm an old retired Army NCO, so I sometimes have to fight off the urge to revert to my old ways.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Links