FN HP DA SA - Compact

This is a discussion on FN HP DA SA - Compact within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been carrying since day one of legal carry here in Texas. I will most often carry either a 40 or a 9 Browning ...

Thread: FN HP DA SA - Compact

FN HP DA SA - Compact

I have been carrying since day one of legal carry here in Texas. I will most often carry either a 40 or a 9 Browning HP. Even though the HP is a full size weapon I will wear either a vest or jacket most of the time to cover so size isn't a problem. My question is I have seen a few FN HP Compacts in DA-SA and would love to add to my collection, and was wondering if anyone here might have one. What have you heard or seen about them, and what insight can your offer?
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I don't believe those are made anymore but I could be wrong.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I think FM still produces the detective model, about 1" shorter than the regular Hi-Power.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

JD
    Administrator
    I might be wrong, but the only factory made "compact" Hi Powers were the FMs not the FNs, they are in short supply.

I found a link to a supplier of FM Detectives and a Conversion kit to make a MILSPEC Hi Power into a detective:
    FM Hi-Power

As for the DA/SA Hi Power...Well you learn something new every day.

Double Action Hi-Power

the article above is from 2001, and it only came in 9mm in the standard size.

Found another link for them here: Modern Firearms - Handguns - Browning DA / FN HP-DA / BDA9 / BDAO

There have been some reported issues & discussion on the lack of proper metal hardness with some of the FM Detective slides. I haven't bought one, so I don't know from personal experience. Just a heads-up.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thank you all of you for your insight...
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

l have two of these guns- a HP-DA Compact and also a HP-DAO Compact (as well as two of the full size HP-DA service pistols). They are made by FN Herstal (Belgium) and are all-steel quality guns. The barrels are 3.8 inches, enough for accuracy and they take a 10 round clip which means you have one in the barrel. (Of course the full size ones have like a 4.5 inch barrel.)

I can't tell you now much I like them- you have to experience owning one. The Compacts are perfect for concealed carry. Unfortunately they are very hard to find for sale as they are no longer being made- go figure. The full size versions are stilll showing up for sale (they take a 15 round mag- same as the Browning BDM). If you're interested let me know and I'll tip you off as to where they're being advertised.

Best regards,
    Bill in Cleveland

HAY......2008 called AND THEY WANT THE POST BACK......Hi genstab..good post

Wow, ancient resurrected thread or not, I had to respond. I had no idea I wasn't the sole American owner of a full size HP-DA.
    I bought mine new several years ago from a LGS and it has been a supremely trustworthy pistol. No sale - no trade, thanks.
    I didn't know there were compact models - I'll have to investigate that.

FN DA-HP Compact

Here's the GunsAmerica ad URL from which I bought my DAO Compact.

FN/Browning HP DAO Compact 9mm Pistol **Used** FNH - Fabrique Nationale (FN) Pistols > High Power Type for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from PERRYS GUN SHOP. Buy or bid on this FN/Browning HP DAO Compact 9mm Pistol **Used** in the category FN

You can see what it looks like by clicking on the photos. The DA is the same except it has a decocker like the full size HP-DA. (The HP-DA was also made as a DAO.) The DAO Compact is rare- I read it was made for less than a year and only a few thousand. I haven't seen any Compacts advertised in a few months but some full size HP-DAs are being advertised now- even a DAO I believe.

The full size HP-DAs are so sweet to shoot- but the Compacts add a whole new dimension if you ever want to CC. I'll never give any of mine up. The full size ones with a 15 round mag and hollow points are great home defense weapons. They are FN's last all steel guns, except for the famous Hi-Power; I have a really nice Practical also, and a vintage 1950s FN model. Hey, there are a lot of manufacturers out there but I'll stick with FN/Browning. Maybe they stint the individual enthusiast in favor of the military/LE market (where's the big profit?), but when they try to do a handgun right it usually is a very well made reliable gun.

Best,
    Bill in Cleveland
    Last edited by genstab; January 6th, 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: got wrong URL

Remind me very much of a Smith 3rd gen auto. I wonder if it was S&W's inspiration.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links