Do accessories need to be purchased through a dealer?

This is a discussion on Do accessories need to be purchased through a dealer? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are things like magazines - both handgun & rifle - available without having to go through a dealer? Could I order, for example, a 16 ...

Are things like magazines - both handgun & rifle - available without having to go through a dealer? Could I order, for example, a 16 round mag for a xd9sc from the internet and have it shipped directly to my home? Or 20 round M1A mags, etc?

How about parts, like barrels, ammo tube extenders (for a shotgun), etc?

I guess the more general question would be, where can I find this info written down somewhere?

Thanks!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member
    Yes it is perfectly legal to order these items over the internet. Most of the places on line that you will be ordering from have store front locations as well, and they are aware of what is legal and what is not legal to ship to your state. To be safe though check yourself to be sure what you want is legal to have in your state.

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I guess the more general question would be, where can I find this info written down somewhere?
    It is hard to research law for actions that are "Allowed", rather than disallowed.

Since accessories are not "firearms" they are not regulated on a federal level (any more), but if your state has laws regulating "hi-capacity" magazines or other AWB type bans; you will have a problem.

You can order anything and receive it via mail as long as it isn't the serialized receiver/frame. You can order a full handgun slide assembly (slide, barrel, spring, etc) and it isn't a "firearm". But you can't order only the frame, since the frame is considered the "firearm".

Same goes for AR uppers and many other firearms parts.

Yes...handguards, sights, vert grips, mags, holsters, grips...the like, are free to be bought and sold at will....it's like a freedom ....gov't hasn't regulated it (yet). Yay free market!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    It is hard to research law for actions that are "Allowed", rather than disallowed.

Since accessories are not "firearms" they are not regulated on a federal level (any more) . . . .
    Federal regulations prohibit carrying guns and gun parts on airlines. While boarding in Houston I was stopped for having an empty magazine in my briefcase. After some discussion about whether it was an accessory or a gun part, I lost the argument and TSA said that it was a gun part. Therefore, I was given the choice of throwing it in the trash can or mailing it back to myself. Of course I mailed it back to myself at a cost of $10.00. Later I got a "do not do that anymore" letter from TSA.

In summary, what may not be considered a gun part in shipping regulations, will be considered a gun part in other U.S. regulations.

Links