Smith and Wesson 6946

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson 6946 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have one? I am thinking of getting one from a friend of a friend. Great shape 3 mags and holster for $300. I ...

Thread: Smith and Wesson 6946

Smith and Wesson 6946

Does anyone have one? I am thinking of getting one from a friend of a friend. Great shape 3 mags and holster for $300. I have seen them on the Web for $350 with one maybe two mags and no holster, plus shipping. So I think it is a good price. I just wanted some reviews on gun from people who have shot one or own one. Any suggestions appreciated. Nice looking gun i have to say. And are they the same size as the 39XXseries?

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    No, they're the same size as the 69xx series (which is a 3.5" barrelled, short-framed 59xx series, a double-stack).

The 6946 (the DAO version of the 6906) that I had was a wonderful gun. Never failed in any way. I was not a big fan of the no-second-strike DAO trigger, but it never once failed to set off a primer, so it wasn't an issue.

Accuracy was on par with a Glock's. Trigger re-set was longer. I bought a number of Mec-Gar 20-rounders to have in reserve.

The gun worked fine with +P+ ammo. I used an extra-power Wolff recoil spring with the hot ammo. Only reason that I no longer have the gun is that the friend who'd sold it to me asked to buy it back, and I felt I should get it back to him.

You might run a search on "6946" at the S&W Forum for more replies on this gun. I think you'll be happy with it.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

Erich

Thanks for the informative response . You answered all questions I had for the gun. I told the guy to hold it and I am pretty sure I will get it. How is recoil?
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I have a 6906 -- recoil is not bad at all (mostly standard pressure ammo). I have the Hogue rubber grip and it's very comfortable. It is a well made and reliable pistol, and simple to take down and clean too. That seems to be a good price; I don't see how you could lose even if you hate it / sell it. I can't imagine ever selling mine.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I agree with stan . . . the 9x19 is not all that recoil-y anyhow, but the hand-filling gripframe of the 6946 really makes it easy to take.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

I won one in a raffle years ago. Great gun for reliability. I like the trigger pull. It's heavy but smooth, pretty much like a decent S&W revolver. I carry some Performance Center 69 series mags in the gun, but 59 series mags fit and function and are everywhere for cheap. The grip is wide and the stock plastic grips are hard and flat, if your hand can fit around them, try the Hogue rubber grips. Might be better for recoil control, but they do add to the size and change the feel some. I carry 124gr Hydra Shok in mine.

Thanks for the responses. I called him yesterday and told him to hold. And then it happened , he told me about the rest of the firearms he will sell me if I want.
    Glock 27 $300
    Glock 22 $350
    H&K 4 380 $450
    Walther P22 $250
    Sig 225 not P6 for $300

Choices , Choices. Now I have to think about the ones I want most as most are prices really nice. I am considering the Smith 6946, the 225 and the Glock 27. I know the H&K is there first model handgun made (from what I researched) and it probably will be worth alot of money one day. Any Suggestions. Oh by the way the Smith 6946 he wants $300 comes with 3 mags, nights sights and holster. Can't beat that
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Links